Comeback, Cumback or is it Kumback Sauce

LADawg

Back in the 1940’s and ‘50’s there was a Greek restaurant in Jackson, MS named The Rotisserie. From all I can find out it was THE place to eat in Jackson. Well, along came what was thought of as progress and a shopping mall was built that took up the land where The Rotisserie was located. They closed, and did not reopen.
One of the items that was an icon of the restaurant was a salad dressing that they simply called Comeback Dressing. There was a bottle of it on each table and customers would not only use it on their green salads, but also spread on their saltine crackers as a snack before the salads arrived. Many restaurants in Jackson and central Mississippi still serve their own version. It is also served as far south as Hattiesburg. In fact there is one place down here in Fairhope, AL that serves it. Their owner is from Yazoo City, MS so go figure.
While there are several recipes going around for the dressing, here is my version. Some kind of GOOD!:wow:

WENDELL’S COMEBACK SAUCE
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup Chili Sauce
3 Tablespoons Ketchup
1/3 Cup Canola Oil
2 Tablespoons Onion, grated
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Clove Garlic, large and finely minced
2 Teaspoons Paprika
1/4 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon each Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper or to taste
Add each ingredient to a large mixing bowl one at a time stirring and mixing well after each item is added. Place in washed and sterilized glass jar. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before using.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, now I'm just going to have to try this! Made of all things I always have!

But, since the Times article highlighted garlic, I will have to add more than 1 clove.

Thanks, LA!

Lee

P.S. Love the idea of having the sauce on crabcakes!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LA, I made this last night and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It's SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!

I used a small food processer to process the garlic and onion, then added the chili sauce and processed some more.

Then I dumped those ingredients in a bowl and mixed them with the other ingredients. I used smoked paprika because I love it.

I poured the mixture into a squeeze bottle and chilled it overnight.

I'm serving it tonight to some friends, with saltines and crispy jalapenos. http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24041

This is a fun, easy, no-frills, delicious appetizer!

Thank you so much for posting it - it's a keeper for life, now!

Oh, I'm going to serve it over some crab cakes, too!

Lee

P.S. Those with a sharp eye will see that I put stuff on the NON-salty side of crackers, the way my grandfather taught me. He said that if you put the salty side on your tongue, it tastes much better. Does everyone do this???

Attachments

• Comeback sauce, 1 in bowl.JPG
    Comeback sauce, 1 in bowl.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Comback sauce 2, in bottle.JPG
    Comback sauce 2, in bottle.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Comeback sauce platter.JPG
    Comeback sauce platter.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 265
  • Comback sauce on a cracker with jalapeno chips.JPG
    Comback sauce on a cracker with jalapeno chips.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 272

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I just made my third batch of this (I brought one batch to some friends' house for them).

Have put it on cottage cheese which I roll in a slice of ham; and have put it on a half of avocado, and on crab cakes.

LOVE it! :bounce:

Lee

Attachments

• Crabcakes with Comeback sauce.JPG
    Crabcakes with Comeback sauce.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 248

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made an adapted version of Rachel Ray's salmon burgers with Caesar salad tonight.

With my beloved COMEBACK SAUCE! :thumb:

Lee

Attachments

• Salmon cakes.JPG
    Salmon cakes.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made another batch of Comeback Sauce this week. Such a versatile sauce!

One night, I used it on steamed asparagus.

Last night, on salmon patties.

Tonight, on a snack of saltines, roasted red peppers and Greek pepperoncini, to go with my beer.

This time, I had some fat free cottage cheese laying around, and I don't care for it, so I used that in the sauce instead of mayo. Still good, but using mayo is spectacular! :wub:

Lee

Attachments

• Asparagus with Comeback Sauce.JPG
    Asparagus with Comeback Sauce.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Salmon Patties with comeback sauce.JPG
    Salmon Patties with comeback sauce.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Saltines and pepper snacks with Comeback Sauce.JPG
    Saltines and pepper snacks with Comeback Sauce.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 193

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm going to have to go read about those salmon patties. Those look great with that sauce!

Johnny West

TTT

I'll make this but need to get a commercial chili sauce as mine would be too lumpy and flavour over powering.

Now if I could just get Duke's Mayo.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
TTT

I'll make this but need to get a commercial chili sauce as mine would be too lumpy and flavour over powering.

Now if I could just get Duke's Mayo.

Yeah, I'll make some, too - I've been out of it for a couple of months. Seeing these photos again has me jonesing for it.

Lee