Mexican Beef Tacos

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was WONDERFUL! And my house smelled terrific all this snowbound day!

I adapted it from a recipe I found on the web.

When I realized that I used all my canned beef broth for my French Onion Soup last night, and I couldn't get out to the store today, I used 2 cups of the onion soup instead of the beef broth. I might use canned onion soup next time, since this was so excellent!

Can't wait to make taco salads with it, too!

Lee

P.S. This is the first time I've tried Queso Fresco. Much like a dry ricotta or Farmer's Cheese, only a little saltier. I like it better!

Mexican Beef Tacos
  • 2 chuck steaks (3 1/2 pounds total)
  • 1 14 oz can of beef broth (or a can of French Onion soup)
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 T. Mexican oregano
  • 1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro
  • Juice of 1 Lime

Served with

• Warm whole wheat tortilla
  • Queso fresco cheese
  • Fresh pico de gallo

Instructions

• Spray crock pot with cooking spray.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together all the dry seasonings. Sprinkle the steaks heavily with with the spice mixture, saving about 1T.
  • Add the jalapeno, cilantro, and broth (or soup).
  • Cover with lid, and cook on Low heat 8 to 10 hours, or on High heat 5 to 6 hours. Remove meat from crock pot and transfer to a large bowl or container. Shred meat with two forks
  • Sprinkle the rest of the spice mixture into the shredded meat, and add a little extra broth from the crockpot, just to moisten.
  • Serve in warm tortillas with any toppings you like.

Chuck steaks.JPG
Mexican shredded beef.JPG
Mexican beef taco.JPG
Queso Fresco, piece.JPG

Last edited:

Guts

Looks good Lee I do mine very similar but I use brisket, no cooking spray just beef broth on low minimum of 8 hours but could go 10 depending on how thick the brisket is. Then I leave it in the crock pot until it cools considerably in the broth and then pull it out and shred it. I made tacos over the holidays, but now I'm gung ho to make him again after seeing your post. I cook my tacos and lard in a cast-iron pan on my jet burner with the meat inside the tortilla. Then I dress the tacos with some finally shredded lettuce tomato and Mexican cheese. Usually why I have the burner set up I will also make some chicken tacos again with the meat inside and cooked in lard. Oh damn I have to have some tacos now !

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Guts, I did see a post by someone who fries their tortillas in oil, folding them over to form a U. Looked great, but a) I hate frying stuff in oil and b) I hate it when crispy tacos break!

Never heard of frying them once the meat is inside .... but I'd try one of yours!

Lee

Guts

Lee

I've always fried my tacos with the meat inside and that's the way most of Taco shops around Southern California do also. Fresh tortillas do not get crispy / brittle and less you leave them in the oil too long you can make him however you want soft, I like them soft but yet a little crispy. It all depends on how long you keep them in the oil and then of course you drain them pat them dry and use popcorn salt not regular salt, the differences popcorn salt is much finer is what most Mexican people use at least the ones I know. Now if making Mexican carny Asada tacos I grill and chop the meat and then put it on a heated tortilla which I usually heat over they flame burner on the stove some people use a flat iron skillet to heat the tortillas I prefer a little charred on my tortilla. The corn tortillas that you have on the streets of Tijuana are heated over a wood fire the same wood fire that they cook the carny Asada on. Crispy tacos I would consider to be a Taco Bell item. But of course you could make him crispy if you just cook them longer.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh my, those look fantastic! I saw a video on making tortillas, and I'm going to give it a try. They're a healthier version than regular...hope they taste good. I'll have to find the link again.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.

Going to get the stuff for this tonight, will prep all the stuff tonight and then dump it in the crockpot before I leave for work tomorrow (we have to work a full day).

When I come home and friends come over for New Year's Eve tomorrow night, wa-LA!

Mexican beef tacos whenever anyone feels like having one!

Lee

Johnny West

I'm still not sure what I'm doing but it will involve seafood.

Those two chuck steaks you had last February looked excellent and would have loved to have had the on the charcoal and wood.

I prefer soft tacos and use flour tortillas. I spray pam on the griddle and heat without really frying.

K

Kimchee

Thicken up that juice in the slow cooker for some great enchilada style burrito sauce.

Guts

These are some tacos I made last Sunday. The photo I am adding was a file photo but it was the same taco. I call these Tijuana street tacos, very similar to the tacos that you buy on the streets of Tijuana. The only difference the Mexicans cut their beef in a different way and is not aged at all. With that said it still is pretty tender and has a great flavor usually cooked on a wood fire.

I use flap meat with a dry rub carne Asada seasoning, pico de gallo salsa, Mexican cheese which is a little dry but still creamy and has a little salty taste. I also used fresh avocados instead of guacamole this time. These tacos are made with corn tortillas and are heated on a gas burner stove, in other words I turn the burner on about medium-low lay the tortilla on it and turn it to I get the desired char on each side of the tortilla the then dress the taco.

The beans were pinto beans in the can, I pour off the juice and heat the been slowly and mash them with a potato masher leaving some of the beans whole. I find canned pinto beans to be more flavorful than canned refried beans.
taco.jpg
tacos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My friends and I loved the Mexican beef tacos again, with pico de gallo, queso fresco cheese, and avocado.

I did dump a couple of cans of mild green chiles in with the beef, and I did thicken up the sauce as Kimchee suggested.

Again, the house smelled incredibly good - everyone loved them and I have a lot left over!

Lee
Shredded mexican beef.JPG
Taco toppings.JPG
Mexican beef tacos.JPG

Last edited:

Johnny West

Yum! Love lamb!

What is the difference between street tacos and ... not street tacos?

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Lee
Street tacos only have meat (lamb barbacoa), hot sauce, and cilantro. Anyway, the ones I had were like that.

my memu got changed by my wife. She’s making fajitas so that’s what I’m having. I’ll have my tacos Sunday.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for bumping up this recipe, John - I'm going to make it again soon!

Lee