Guts' Pico de Gallo

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Guts calls this "salsa", but salsa is generally cooked and more of a sauce.

This is raw and more of a relish.

I love it! I used half a pint of cherry tomatoes this time, and add the juice of half a lime

Great with tortilla chips and on fish tacos.

Lee

Guts' SALSA (Pico de Gallo)

1 Garlic clove, peeled and minced
6 Tomatoes, ripe, peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 Onion, minced
2 tb Cilantro leaves, chopped, stems removed
2 Jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper

Attachments

• Pico de gaillo.JPG
    Pico de gaillo.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Pico de gaillo on fish taco.JPG
    Pico de gaillo on fish taco.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 349

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That looks great! That's pretty much how I make mine. I usually use red wine vinegar for the acid instead of lime juice and no jalapenos for moi. The smell of cilantro makes me swoon :biggrin:, love the stuff.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm getting better at this!

Getting ready for some fish tacos later in the week.

Lee

Attachments

• Pico.JPG
    Pico.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 177

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, I use plum tomatoes, but don't peel them - just seed and chop small. I squeeze a lime in there, too. And I just add a pinch of salt, not 1 1/2 teas.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fresh batch of pico from the garden today!

Fish tacos coming up this week!

Lee

Attachments

• Fresh batch of pico.JPG
    Fresh batch of pico.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 133

Johnny West

That sounds fantastic. I had fish tacos for the first time this winter in Park City and wasn't sure what the fish was and never asked because the place was so busy.

This spring I made them with black rock fish I caught last summer at Westport but they turned out to be more like a huge burrito since I had so much on the tortilla. I like a soft taco.

With that said, what kind of fish do you use? The commissary had fresh catfish fillets and was thinking about doing something with catfish. I have rock fish left but I am the only one that eats it - I could use ling cod I imagine.

I made a "relish" similar to yours but I add chopped green olives, too. There are so many ways one could go with this.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Johnny, the best fish tacos I've made have been with haddock or cod, and SilverSage's tempura batter (you can search here on "fish tacos").

But, frying battered fish is messy and smelly, so when I'm lazy, I also make them with frozen Van de Kamp's fried haddock or Gorton's Italian and Herb filets which I bake in the oven.

I will be using Van de Kamp's battered haddock this week. I, too, prefer soft tacos, flour tortillas, and I put sour cream, fish, pico, packaged cole slaw (no dressing), and shredded cheese on them.

Tried avocado, too, but that was just TOO much! :)

Lee

Johnny West

I have the tempura batter recipe bookmarked.

I love frying fish and have a cast iron skillet collection I use - the skillets looks so nice after the hot oil treatment.

I love pan fried cod, halibut and snapper - heck, I love all fish.