My Grand Nephew's 11th Birthday!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here a pic of my grand nephew celebrating his 11th birthday, with all of the cool stuff that he got!!

Does it not look like's he likes to cook & bake? Hah!! He's got all the tools of the trade!!

The only things that he does not have yet, is a safety (nylon) knife set and a cutting board, which I will send to him in a couple of weeks!! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

Attachments

• Day-Day with all hyis new kitchen toys!.jpg
    Day-Day with all hyis new kitchen toys!.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Day-Day about to blow out the candles..jpg
    Day-Day about to blow out the candles..jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Day-Day on his birthday 3.jpg
    Day-Day on his birthday 3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 248
  • Day-Day on his birthday 4.jpg
    Day-Day on his birthday 4.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's some more pics of him displaying some more of his cooking gifts!! :tiphat::applause::wave:

Attachments

• Day-Day on his birthday 2.jpg
    Day-Day on his birthday 2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 220
  • Day-Day with gifts.jpg
    Day-Day with gifts.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Day-Day with family on his birthday..jpg
    Day-Day with family on his birthday..jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Day-Day showing off his gifts..jpg
    Day-Day showing off his gifts..jpg
    81 KB · Views: 226
  • Day-Day on his birthday.jpg
    Day-Day on his birthday.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Good for him and happy birthday! I have 4 brothers and we all learned how to cook growing up. Actually, my wife didn't know how to cook because her grandmother lived with them, and Mom & Grandma did all the cooking and baking. She got lucky picking me, because I taught her the basics so I wouldn't starve. :corny:
Good idea with the safety knives so he can begin developing knife skills. Here's a basic tutorial for him to start out with. There are lots of additional knife skill tutorials on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ44SxiemMs

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, JoeV!

I want him to learn the basic knife skills so that he can get a sense of how to cut the basic things, like onions, green pepper & celery, potatoes, which his mom keeps on hand for when she cooks as well.

Once he has mastered that and has it down pat, then he can move on to more advanced knife skills.

This loving kid was ME when I was his age and started out cooking! Never before was I able to help a family member with cooking and baking!! His heart & mind is in the right place, and he knows what he wants to do when he grows up! I love him and his family very dearly!!

He might soon be teaching ME a thing or two about cooking!! Hah! :weber: :bdaycake:

Shermie

Site Supporter
One more pic.

A few more cookbooks that he got! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

Attachments

• Day-Day with cookbooks.jpg
    Day-Day with cookbooks.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 219

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yup!

Well, he's gotta start off with simple cooking, to which he has done. He has plenty of time to learn the basic stuff.

He might want to take over MY kitchen when he comes up next summer!! Hah!! I'll let him do it. But I still have to check on him & make sure that he doesn't hurt himself in any way. I'd NEVER leave him to work alone!!

I'll get him TWO of the safety knife sets - one for him at home, and one for him here! This way, he'll have full coverage. Hah!! :tiphat: :hotdog:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Looks like he's getting a good start!

Pass along my best wishes for his Birthday! :bdaycake:

Jim

Shermie

Site Supporter
Ok, thanks! I will.

Believe me when I say that never in the history of the family have I seen an 11-year-old boy get so much equipment pertaining to cooking!!

He's very wise beyond his years, and he learns things very fast! And he seems very serious about becoming a cook / chef!! I hope that he never gives up!! He's so dedicated to cooking.

He likes to hang out in his mom's kitchen and mine when a meal is being prepared. And with all this new equipment he's got, he's got a pretty good start!!

Here's a pic of him below just after his 9th birthday starting out cooking. And one with him at a restaurant in my neighborhood! But with cooking, he's ,also gaining weight as he gets older. Most cooks often do! Hah!! :weber: :bdaycake:

Attachments

• Devaun in the kitchen getting cooking lessons!.jpg
    Devaun in the kitchen getting cooking lessons!.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very impressive!

Yes, it looks as if he's going to have to battle weight issues in his life. I empathize!

Lee

Guts

Looks like your nephew had a great birthday. I wish him a happy belated birthday, looks like he was quite pleased with his gifts. It's good to see someone take an interest in cooking at such a young age. A few more years and he will be able to start working in a restaurant and work his way up if he so desires. It's great that you give him so much support! There seems to be a lack of family values in the newer generations.

Best wishes

Kim

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

I love him and his siblings as though they were my own children! In a way, they ARE.

As an old-school cook, I started out just like HE did. Only thing was that I wasn't showered with gifts like that on my 11th birthday like he was. But as time went by, I, also, developed a passion for food & cooking.

And over the years, I've had many jobs working as a cook. I even went through a culinary arts training program, holding to finally get back into a job at least as a prep cook, but it wasn't to be. I ended up with a lousy job working in the dishroom!!!

I don't want my grand nephew to have to end up getting some demeaning job!! Of course, you have to crawl before you can walk, but I want him to be able to climb the corporate ladder, rise above all and become a fine cook or a chef!! Whichever one that he chooses to do!

I explained to him that first, he must stay in school & finish it - that's #1, then go from there.

Thanks, QSis, you're right!

He knows about things in moderation though. I can't seem to stress that to him enough. He already weighs over 100lbs!! Good gosh!! The average child his age should weigh no more than about 75 to 80lbs. When he was 3 or 4, he was skinny!

And with his weight comes strength. This kid is incredibly strong!! Even stronger when he gets raging mad!! He's the strength of ten!! I've seen him mad many times last summer, it's not pretty< & my biggest fear is that he might hurt someone enough to put them in the hospital!!!

But hopefully, he'll outgrow that anger and become better. He'll have to when he gets older, if he wants to win credentials as a cook and make it in the job market. But for right now, he's enjoying his present enthusiasm as a cook at home.

While there for the week of Thanksgiving, his mom told me that she was thinking about letting him go through a culinary arts training program next summer for a week, but it would cost a whopping $1000 just for that one week!!! I told her that it's outrageously nuts to pay that just for one week!!

I found a website that offers culinary training for free as long as he wants it, and sent her the link for it! She's going to look into it for him.

This kid is my heart!! He bares a very strong resemblance to his dear late granddad (One of my brothers)! His parents know that I spoil him and awful lot, and THAT is why!! I miss my dear brother so much, and several years ago when I saw him for the first time since he was a baby, I was floored that HE LOOKS LIKE MY LATE BROTHER!! He began to realize it as well. Almost like seeing my brother as a little boy all over again!! I'm even told that he looks just like me!!! Never thought about that!! But I realized that he DOES look like me!!

In any case, I'm there for him whenever he needs me!! I want him to succeed in his desire to become a cook or a chef, and I support him all the way!! :applause: :respect: :bounce:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I forgot to mention that he's also a food critic / child prodigy, as he often gives his advice on and evaluate the food that he eats in restaurants. He is very serous about the food that he eats & cooks!!

He really takes this very seriously! I just can't overlook the fact that he's so involved in and dedicated to food & cooking!

He's one amazing kid who I'm so proud of, along with his siblings!! I just can't stop spoiling him, but I know that his siblings also want the same attention, so I have to back off a little with him, and now, he even says so himself!!

That they are a bit jealous because I pay him a lot of attention. But that is just me. I love them all, no matter what!! :piesmiley1::eating2: :bounce:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
he sounds like a great kiddo. sweeeeet gifts~ my nephew would likely be pals w/ him. it's 'aunt Aubrey, could we cook this/that.......' until his Dad has to say, 'enough. she is trying to get dinner on, guys.'
i cannot say i mind very often-
kiddos- they're great to have to cook w/ when they'll look to learn to, as well.
devin would love to be a Chef; i would love to mentor him often as i could, if i were nearby them guys. we have holidays, tho, & make food, then.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm so proud of him!! He's the greatest!!

He's very intelligent, smart, kind and learns things quite fast and is wise beyond his years!! He strongly developed his interest in food & cooking when he was only 6 or 7! He says that he wants to follow in my footsteps!

Now, with all the equipment that he was showered with for his birthday, he'll be very proud to "man the kitchen" and learn new things, as they say in the culinary world!! I already taught him a few things, like how to make gravy, boiling potatoes and how to make the Magic Cookie Bars.

He LOVES those to death with a pure passion something good !! Hah!! :WitchBrewsSmiley: :weber: :blob_blue:

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow he sounds very impressive. And only 11. I had no clue at 11. I wish I had taken an interest in cooking that early. Happy Birthday to him and CONGRATS!!!!!!! He is one awesome Grand nephew to be proud of for sure. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Very!!

I often call him, or he calls me.

He wants to be in the kitchen whenever there's a meal is being prepared. If & when I'm cooking, he's right there to offer and lend a helping hand!

He never misses the golden opportunity to get in on the act! He wants to know all there is to know about cooking! That is how I got started with cooking. Helping mom prepare the meals, especially during the holiday season!

I swear, that there is no other young child presently in the entire family that is so devoted to cooking like HE is!! He just LOVES it to death!

Other than when it comes time to clean up. He HATES it, so I help him out with the cleanup as well. He just has to learn to clean as he goes, and it won't be as much of, or as big of a mess in the kitchen for him when a meal has been eaten. We've explained that to him. That the cleanup is always part of cooking, and that there is no way that he can avoid it. He'll get the concept as he goes along. It's the only way that he can stay ahead of the game and he won't get bogged down with so many things to wash during the process of cleaning up.

:cooking::wow:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's another cute sweet member of the family who likes to help out in the kitchen! He seems to be saying in the 1st pic; "Come here & let me show you how to cook the right way.". In the 2nd pic, he seems to be counting something with his fingers on his left hand. Hah!! Standing on a chair so that he can get a boost to see what he's doing, he likes to "master his culinary skills" and get a bird's eye view of things!

He's another one of my grandnephews. He likes to get involved with cooking whenever he gets the chance to. His grandmother lets him have at it as often as he pleases to! I sincerely hope that he keeps it up and chooses it as his career when he gets older!! He's such a sweet little kid!!
wink.gif
eat.gif

Attachments

• Caydin Baker wants to teach you how to cook!.jpg
    Caydin Baker wants to teach you how to cook!.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 106
  • Caydin working in the kitchen..jpg
    Caydin working in the kitchen..jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Caydin making something in the kitchen..jpg
    Caydin making something in the kitchen..jpg
    46 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, he's a doll-baby, Shermie!

I heartily approve of what your family is doing, getting the kids involved at an early age and encouraging them.

I have a picture of my nephew somewhere, doing pretty much what your little one was doing - standing on a chair at the counter, helping me cook.

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
LOL, he's a doll-baby, Shermie!

I heartily approve of what your family is doing, getting the kids involved at an early age and encouraging them.

I have a picture of my nephew somewhere, doing pretty much what your little one was doing - standing on a chair at the counter, helping me cook.

Lee

Thanks!

He reminds me so much of THIS cute sweet little boy who I know, mainly because of his complexion!! He, also, likes to help out in the kitchen!! :applause::tiphat:

Attachments

• Jayden.jpg
    Jayden.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 97