Grilled Pineapple

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Grilled fresh pineapple is spectacular! This batch is with ancho chili powder.

You can season it with brown sugar, cinnamon, chile powders, bourbon ... all kinds of stuff!

My store had fresh pineapples for $.99 so I got the most yellow one I could find, and cut it into spears (cutting off the peel and the core).

Sprinkled with ancho chile powder (any chile powder would be good) and threw the spears on the grill.

They heat up and darken quickly, because of all the sugar in the fruit, so watch closely!

Absolutely delicious!

Lee

Attachments

• Grilled pineapple spears with ancho chili powder.JPG
    Grilled pineapple spears with ancho chili powder.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 1,107

Guts

I like grilled pineapple, but I like the soak/marinate mine in Myers rum for a couple hours before grilling, but can be done overnight. Myers rum has a very distinct flavor, not like any other rum that I've ever had. If you happen to have some give that a try, I think you will like it.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
now and then I buy a whole fresh pineapple. people look at me funny as I pick up and sniff one after the other after another . . . .

so then we enjoy them - and I ask why don't I do this more often?..... and comes back the answer 'just don't got a mega-sweet tooth' - never had. but they are good!

funny thing about the sniffing.... about a week back the supermarket had peaches.
well, if it don't smell like a peach, it ain't.... so as I stood there picking up one after another, the wizened green grocer guy came by and quietly said on his way by:
"don't bother" - so I took his word for it. oh, btw I should add, he knows me.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We tried grilled pineapple for the first time this ever a few weeks ago at my daughters. Awesome. And it was not seasoned with anything. Now I can't wait to try it seasoned like you mentioned Lee. Thanks. :tiphat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BTW, I tried this with canned pineapple rings one time and failed miserably!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the canned stuff is too soft - from the canning process I suspect - it's cooked in the can to pasteurize / sterilize/whateverize it keeping it safe on the shelf.

turns mushy & falls apart when grilled.

the fresh stuff stays crisp - basically you're making it pretty with some grill marks and warming it up a bit - you do get some sugar caramel from the markings.

calcmandan

ok makes sense. your description sounds awesome. i must try it. costco has pineapples right now, i should pick one up.

calcmandan

I like grilled pineapple, but I like the soak/marinate mine in Myers rum for a couple hours before grilling, but can be done overnight. Myers rum has a very distinct flavor, not like any other rum that I've ever had. If you happen to have some give that a try, I think you will like it.
mmmmmmmmmm great idea

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I wish I'd remembered Guts' method of soaking the pineapple in rum!

I sprinkled it with Chimayo chile after grilling, and it was delicious anyway!

Lee

Attachments

• Grilled pineapple.JPG
    Grilled pineapple.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 1,016

LADawg

That sure does look good. I have never grilled any pineapple, but I have sure eaten a lot of fresh pineapple in the past 8 or 9 months. All these years I thought that cutting and slicing of fresh pineapple would be a lot of trouble and something that I might not be able to do. I found out that it is very simple and takes very little time.
I had eaten fresh pineapple off and on for years, but always some other place than home. Now that I know how simple it is I have been eating some of it several times a week.
One of the local supermarkets (a cost plus store) has fresh Dole pineapples for $1.39 plus 10% so I might give grilling a try. I still have about 120 pounds of Kingford's that needs to be burned.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One of the local supermarkets (a cost plus store) has fresh Dole pineapples for $1.39 plus 10% so I might give grilling a try. I still have about 120 pounds of Kingford's that needs to be burned.

Wow, that IS a steal, LA! I thought I was getting over on them when I paid only $1.99 for mine at Whole Foods!

BTW, why do you have so much charcoal???

Lee

LADawg

Wow, that IS a steal, LA! I thought I was getting over on them when I paid only $1.99 for mine at Whole Foods!

BTW, why do you have so much charcoal???

Lee

Went back in here yesterday and they were $1.99, plus 10%. Looked like the same pineapples to me.
About the charcoal---Last year on both Memorial Day $9.99. I just could not pass up a deal like this so I bought over 280 pounds and was going to buy some more, but my wife put a stop to that.:whistle: