21 quarts of chili - OAMC

QuirkyCookery

Tis the season for bulk cooking...at least in my house anyway. The weather is getting cooler and it's great to have the oven on or a bunch of roasters and crockpots set out.

I thought I'd share how I tend to make chili:

http://www.quirkycookery.com/2012/05/chili-for-crowd-21-quarts-for-under-10.html

That's an example of how I did it for under 10 bucks. It's a very basic version that we use a lot for chili dogs and yes, this one is a bean based one, although it does contain meats....it's just not a version that's without beans entirely. I freeze a bunch of this up every winter so we can pull it out whenever we don't feel like cooking, but want a warm meal.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That sure is a lot of chili. Don't know where you buy your meat, but here 80/20 gr beef is around $3.69/lb. You must really hit the sales.

QuirkyCookery

That sure is a lot of chili. Don't know where you buy your meat, but here 80/20 gr beef is around $3.69/lb. You must really hit the sales.

Yep, I do! I can usually catch a sale for $1.99 and when I do, I stock up. You could potentially get it even cheaper if you grind it yourself or buy a side of cow. I will sometimes use pork or turkey mixed with the beef to stretch it as well, because you can get that even cheaper and many people can't tell the difference once it's seasoned and mixed into the chili.

pharmerphil

been 10 yrs. or better since I've seen 80/20 for 1.99...great shopping!
around here it's the price JoeV quoted...

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
$1.99 Wow- Here in San Francisco Bay Area- We can get 80/20 (On sale Pretty often) For $2.99 a lb. I like the idea buying a good slab of cow, and grinding my own. Now that I am retired, and pretty much done with school. this goes on my "Retired-Not dead list."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy mackerel, LT! LOL!

Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Lee