Baking with Sugar and Sugar Substitutes

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you are trying to cut back on calories or just reduce your sugar intake how do you bake with sugar substitutes?

Locutus

If you are trying to cut back on calories or just reduce your sugar intake how do you bake with sugar substitutes?

I use Splenda (sucralose) About 10 percent by volume more Slpenda than sugar.

Just like any other substitute, it takes a couple of times to get used to it, but once you do, it's just as good. :applause:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the answer Locutus ....So I'm assuming Splenda and others have a chart telling you how much splenda is equal to 1/2 cup of sugar ....?

Rereading my question it was rather vague. Sorry. :hide:

Locutus

Doc,

Splenda replaces sugar "one for one" by voume. 1 cup suger=1 cup Splenda.

Maybe it's just my taste buds, but I prefer about 10 percent by volume more Splenda. :smile:

BTW, it's a little pricey, but if you have a Sam's Club in the area, they have Splenda in large boxes at very low cost. :lucky:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks L. :D
We do indeed have a Sams club around here. :thumb: :D

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
They now even have 'brown sugar' Splenda. Comes in handy for us Diabetics and even has a nice exchange chart on the side.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It was in the Jewel store down the street. I have not tried it and cannot vouch for it, but thought it was a cool idea!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Your airport is nicer than MY airport. :yum: Its amazing all the great additions they made!
Anyhew, I might get that Splenda stuff. Now a Diet Coke with splanda just doesnt taste right to me.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The only diet soda I can hack is Diet Rite. All others just don't taste the same to me. And they have some cool flavors too!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
The only diet soda I can hack is Diet Rite. All others just don't taste the same to me. And they have some cool flavors too!

Now ya got me in the mood for a damn Diet Rite! I havent had one of those in about a year.

I was just reading a thing about how any fake sugar isnt good for ya. I might have to agree that using natural unrefined sugar is best.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
You have to have it in moderation, or it can cause gastro intestinal problems... IE upset stomach and, uh, constant running to the bathroom LOL.
I also read where you should not let children under 12 have any at all.

Locutus

Didn't know about the brown splenda!

Thanks for the info. Always liked brown sugar on oatmeal. But being diabetic, had to give it up. Now I gotta find some of that brown splenda! :chef:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Before you pick some up, check the package for specific uses. We picked up a bag of Splenda for coffee because it had a picture of coffee on the front. Guess what? Didn't work in coffee. :confused:
We called Splenda and they replaced it with packets formulated for use in drinks and coffee.
I was like, what? You put a picture of coffee on the front but it can't be used in coffee??:huh:

babe

a diabetic couldn't use sugar either. i use both splenda and brown splenda in baking, actually the brown i use in sauces, etc. have converted many recipes to use the splenda. banana muffins come to mind. i find if i use half splenda and half brown the texture is better as well as flavor in baked goods. so many things i couldn't have if i didn't use it. do have sugar once in awhile but it has to be planned for . and i tested after an hour of eating it.
babe