ISO TNT Coconut Custard Pie?

lilbopeep

๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐ŸŒน๐Ÿฐ Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am in search of a from scratch tried and true recipe for Coconut Custard Pie. When I first met my hub I found a recipe for Coconut Custard Pie. It was completely from scratch. Using a fresh coconut. After cracking it open you grated the coconut meat and made homemade coconut milk by simmering some of the grated coconut in milk. After cooling it was strained (used grated coconut was discarded) and used to make the custard. Fresh grated coconut meat was then used in the custard. It was out of this world good!! BUT after several moves I lost the recipe and haven't found a good one yet.

Anyone have a recipe?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wowwee, Peep!

That would be a lot of fun, doing the whole thing from a fresh whole coconut!

Wish I could help you with the TNT, but I've never undertaken such a thing.

If you DO find a recipe for that again, please post - I'd love to play with that!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
update-colored.gif

Ok so I googled and found several recipes with promise. I will mix and match and try to come up with a hybrid recipe. I also found a low carb/sugar free pecan nut crust that sounds really interesting that I may try. I think I will leave the sugar in the filling (or go 1/2 & 1/2 sugar and sugar sub). I don't think hub could handle the lack of sugar in the filling and crust. LOL I will try to tackel it today.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
peepz- jus' decided i should host a dinner. u could bring a few of those pies- i'll ttyl, when u get to picksburgh. (my Mum makes great coconut cream meringue pies. i could see if she's got her old recipe, yet.)

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
u fer real-fer real, chocolate moose--

i was makin' baked custards summer of 4th/5th grade & thought not much of that. patience, a hefty whisk & cookware-

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
peepz- jus' decided i should host a dinner. u could bring a few of those pies- i'll ttyl, when u get to picksburgh. (my Mum makes great coconut cream meringue pies. i could see if she's got her old recipe, yet.)
ROTFL!! Ok luvie. See if your mum still has the recipe. I would love it. Thanks

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
:readytoeat: peepz.
my Mum usually disregards my calls. she :heart:'s me that much. then she dials my phone.
'i have not spoken to u fer daze.'
'Mum. i called ur office, cell, & regular phone. is there a bottle of vodka in ur desk~'
'oh, ferget this. i cannot tolerate my 'lil girl speaking to me in this insolent manner.'

-click.-.......

ring.
'-------; ------- speaking.'
'Mom. i'm goin' on 32. i'm an adult.'
'not now, aubrey. u'll make my hair turn grey.'
'Mum. u color over the grey, anyhow.'
'AUBREY!'
'yes, mommie dearest~'
'i hafta end this call. bye......'

ring.
'aubrey!'
'Mum, could u bring me a thingy of paper towels on saturday'
(that's rhetoric.)
Mum:-'i'm getting a place in ________________' (she names warm/sunshiny places.)

me, i usually end calls w/ her by saying, 'wait a few years- i've got those old-folks homes on speed-dial....... u'll be 60, 65 soon enough. u think i'll be changin' ur depends. nope.'

ot, yep. peepz deserves a :)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
First run of the Coconut Custard Pie (waiting for it to cool)

012113_coconut_custard_pie_P1090713.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What's the brown stuff, Peep?

I love freshly grated nutmeg, but a little goes a long way.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
What's the brown stuff, Peep?

I love freshly grated nutmeg, but a little goes a long way.

Lee
"What's the brown stuff" - I grated and toasted the coconut before adding it. We really didn't like it much. The coconut was almost flavorless and all you taste was a very strong egg flavor more like a coconut quiche (not pleasant). IF I make it again I will add coconut extract I quess.