Homemade Vanilla Extract

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I got 10 Madagascar vanilla beans today, so I figured I would put to good use the bottle of Vodka that has been in the cupboard for at least 10 years or more. Someone brought it for a party and never took it home, I don't care to drink the stuff (I like rum or Canadian whiskey when I do drink booze) so now it will become vanilla extract with 40% alcohol content. It has a higher and better use, and will be ready around Easter.

P1020253.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Joe, I'm with you on that! I make vanilla myself. Got hooked on the idea a few years ago, based on a discussion at eGullet.

However, the idea of a half liter of Absolut sitting idle for 10 years is beyond my comprehension :confused:

Vodka makes a great martini and Absolut is my favorite vodka!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Very cool Joe! I picked up three vanilla beans from Pensky's early this year and put one in a small mason jar of vodka. Has to be some of the best vanilla extract I have ever smelled or tasted!
I am still reserving one vanilla bean for making ice cream!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That is going to be wonderful, Joe. How many beans did you put in that bottle?
Since you are under the weather I'll give you a pass on this one and tell you that I used 10 beans, split in half and cut in half lengthwise to stay submerged. (Next time look at the picture)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
LOL. I read that you bought 10 beans today but I didn't know if you used them all for this or maybe used a little for vanilla sugar or for another bottle of vanilla extract as Christmas gifts.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very cool Joe! I picked up three vanilla beans from Pensky's early this year and put one in a small mason jar of vodka. Has to be some of the best vanilla extract I have ever smelled or tasted!
I am still reserving one vanilla bean for making ice cream!

I know what you mean about the smell. I have some Mexican vanilla that a friend gave me, and you can really tell the difference between that and the store-bought stuff. No sugar or water added to this stuff. I can already smell the vanilla flavor as the vodka extracts the flavor from the beans. I may not be able to wait until Easter. LOL

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
OK I didn't know you could cut and split them! I had to shove mine down to the bottom of the jar and try and keep it there LOL.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here is the two month update on my homemade vanilla extract. I have actually been using it for a couple of weeks because I ran out of the Mexican stuff my friend gave me. It really has a nice fragrance and good flavor. I'll let it steep for another 4-6 weeks before bottling.

P1020253-1.jpg
P1020478-1.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here is my second batch of vanilla extract. The first was bottled in May after 6 monthe of steeping. After 12 weeks of steeping, this batch is smelling fine, and coloring up nicely. Here's what it looked like at the start and today.

P1020711.jpg
P1020785.jpg

In each bottle here are 11 new vanilla beans (1/8#) and 5 from the previous batch I made. The aroma is positively magnificent. I still have some from the first batch, so I won't bottle this until near Christmas when I plan to give a lot away as gifts. This is strictly Vodka and vanilla beans, nothing more, nothing less. No corn syrup and water like Durkee and others put in their "Pure" vanilla extract.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I am liking this idea a LOT!

So, if I just get a pint of vodka, I'd add maybe 5 vanilla beans, you think, Joe?

Let it steep a year or so before bottling it and giving some away?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
This is pretty cool. Vodka is known for its neutrality and lack of flavor making it a perfect mixer. Making your own vanilla is really cool. :thumb:

How long does it last? Forever? It would be a nice thing to gift.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Okay, I am liking this idea a LOT!

So, if I just get a pint of vodka, I'd add maybe 5 vanilla beans, you think, Joe?

Let it steep a year or so before bottling it and giving some away?

Lee

This batch was made with beans purchased with a friend who wanted to make her own vanilla as well. I bought 1/2# of Madagaskar vanilla beans from Olivenation.com for $22 after the coupon code I found on Tjoos.com . You just have to keep trying the codes until one works to save on shipping or get % off your order. The 1/2# was the best price I could find on beans, and I was very pleased with the quality and size of the beans. They came in a resealable vacuum sealed plastic bag. Eve nat full price it's a good deal.

I split the order with her, and we ended up with 22 beans each, which was enough to do the two bottles you see here. The reason they are not full is because I got a partial bottle of the cheap stuff from my brother who was getting rid of it, so I mixed 'em up to even out the liquid to bean ration.

I suggest Googling "How to make vanilla extract," and reading a few sites about making it, just to get familiar with the process and the bottling.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of mine at the top. On the right, how it looks in various stages of making it. :biggrin:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 151
  • vanilla-extract.jpg
    vanilla-extract.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 152

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Wife has 2 jars brewing in the cupboard and it does smell heavenly. She shopped around online for the good beans at a good price. She bought a bunch as we still have some in the fridge. First I had bought vodka in years but the extract is worth it.

thegrindre

I've been wanting to do this for years. I happen to have a quart of Mexican Molina that was given to me last year so have been putting it off until I use all that up first.
Prior to that, I had bought a pint at a good price.
I have vanilla coming out of my ears right now.

:)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just bottled the last of my current batch of homemade vanilla extract this morning. DD #2 gave me her empty bottle yesterday and asked for a refill. I have one 2oz bottle left in the cupboard, so I just reordered 1/4# of Madagaskar vanilla beans from www.olivenation.com. The are running a 20% off special on anything in their inventory, and the vanilla beans get free ground shipping. If you order from them use coupon code HLTWA to get the discount. I paid $15.96 via PayPal for 1/4# of beans. This is the still the best price I have found for beans since I started doing this in 2009.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I gotta make some more myself.

But I need to try to get some vanilla beans to do it. Too bloody expensive at Williams Sonoma!!! :smile:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
I keep trying to make my own, but the damn vodka keeps disappearing!

i swear, leave that vodka to its own device fer 2 seconds, & it'll disappear. i mean, u hafta test often to see if its ready to use, as yet. then look one morning, & that bottle'll have apparantly drunk itself! gasp!
:drink2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
i swear, leave that vodka to its own device fer 2 seconds, & it'll disappear. i mean, u hafta test often to see if its ready to use, as yet. then look one morning, & that bottle'll have apparantly drunk itself! gasp!
:drink2:

I know what you mean!

I had that problem when people were staying with me. Not any more!! I live alone, the best way to do!

When I put something down it is right there when I want some of it again!! :piesmiley1::eating2::clap:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I found some vanilla beans reasonably priced at Amazon.com.

I'll order them in a few weeks. :weber: