Meta tags

Cooksie

Site Supporter
A couple days ago, we had a brief discussion in a sort-of related thread about using tags. I just realized that that thread was in the Back Room. While it's open to anyone who wants to join, not everyone chooses to enter the Back Room. So I'm bringing this out into the general forum for everyone.

One way to get more 'hits' one the search engines is to use 'meta tags'. More hits means more folks finding us, and hopefully liking what they see, and staying around for a while.

Making tags is easy, especially for the original poster. Right below the box where you type your post, there is a section called (SURPRISE!) "Tags". You can put up to 5 key words in there to help the search engines find your post. This especially useful with recipes and food questions.

For example, if you make turkey nachos you could put in turkey, nacho, ground turkey, Mexican food, turkey nacho, appetizer.

Anyone can add 2 tags, but the original poster can put in 5.

If we all try to remember to put in tags when we create a thread, I think it will help more of the search engines to find us. If you are reading or responding to a thread that doesn't have any tags, (you can tell by the little blue price-tag-looking-thing in the index) feel free to add some.

I've been trying to add tags to anything that I come across in Today's Posts, but if we all try to do this, we may find our membership growing!

Ya'll gonna try???

I don't see a place to add tags :dizzy:.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Cooksie, et al,

Sorry I did not ask sooner, I wanted to make sure of my answer.

At the end of a thread, under the last post of a page is a blue oval that says "Post Reply). Just under that is a small rectangle that says "Tags". On the right side of that rectangle are the words "Edit Tags". Click there and you will be able to add tags. They need to be separated by commas.

Thank You for helping NCT.

Andy

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Hi Cooksie, et al,

Sorry I did not ask sooner, I wanted to make sure of my answer.

At the end of a thread, under the last post of a page is a blue oval that says "Post Reply). Just under that is a small rectangle that says "Tags". On the right side of that rectangle are the words "Edit Tags". Click there and you will be able to add tags. They need to be separated by commas.

Thank You for helping NCT.

Andy

Thank You! I see now. I was trying to add them to my individual post... :bonk:.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It's a good idea to put up tags that people will be looking for, like the name of your dish. The original poster can add up top 5 tags. Each poster after that can add 2 more. Mods can add a bunch.

For example, in the ingredient showcase, the first tag should be the ingredient. Then each participant should add a tag with the name of their dish or a more specific ingredient name. If the OP notices something missing, they can go back and add some extras.

For example:

OP First: mushroom
Next: mushroom soup, shitake
Next: mushroom stir fry, button mushroom
Next: mushroom sauce
OP update: portabella, mushroom tomato sauce, mushroom pasta
Next: mushroom strudel, porcini
Mod: crimini, morrel, cepes, oyster mushroom, fried mushroom, stuffed mushroom, stuffed portabella.

See how the tag list grows? It's important that the tags reflect the kind of words that people will search for when they are looking for a recipe idea. And hopefully, if there are a lot of tags, the search engines will hit on us when someone googles some kind of mushroom dish.

For another example, take a look at the Germany thread. As people added dishes & recipes, I added tags to show what was in the thread. So it's not just a one shot thing. If you want your dish to start showing up in google, you have to start listing it in the tags.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm bumping up this thread, so new members will be aware and veteran members will be reminded.

Thanks all! :smile:

Lee