Tuscan Bean Soup

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this hearty soup this weekend. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/tuscan-bean-soup-recipe/index.html

It was good, and very healthy, but I am just not a fan of pancetta. I far prefer the smokiness of bacon.

It made a lot, and I'm thinking of adding some other kind of meat and/or pasta to the leftovers.

I used all canned beans.

Better the next day.

The bread was fantastic! :biggrin:

Lee

Tuscan Bean Soup

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2007
Prep Time: 25 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min Level: Easy Serves: 3 1/2 quarts, 8 servings
EM0908_Tuscan-Bean-Soup_med.jpg

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup kidney beans soaked overnight or 1 (14-ounce) can store-bought beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup cannellini beans soaked overnight or 1 (14-ounce) can store-bought beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling on bread
  • 1/2 pound diced pancetta
  • 2 cups diced yellow onions
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14-ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 quarts chicken stock, plus extra water if needed
  • 2 sprigs rosemary
  • 3 sprigs thyme
  • 1 sprig oregano
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
  • 2 heads Lacinata kale, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 loaf Italian peasant bread, cut into thick slices
  • Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, for serving
Directions

Place the kidney beans in a medium pot, add water to cover by 2-inches and bring to a boil. (If using canned kidney beans, skip this step.) Turn the heat down, let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until just-tender. Use the same process for the cannellini beans.

In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta, rendering the fat and cooking until slightly crispy about 3 minutes. Saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Add the diced tomatoes, the cooked and drained kidney beans, cannellini beans, chick peas, and the chicken stock. Using kitchen twine, tie the herbs and the bay leaf into a bundle and add to the pot. Season with the red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then add the kale. Continue cooking until the beans are completely tender.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil over the slices of peasant bread, season with a little salt and pepper and toast in the oven. Serve the soup in large bowls with grated Parmesan and a slice of toast.

Attachments

• Tuscan Bean soup.JPG
    Tuscan Bean soup.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 239

Guts

I like it Lee Soup weather again.. YUM ! And Yes that is a nice serving dish & plate along with the serving tray. It has some color, mine are bland. (I use serving trays all the time too) makes for a easy clean up. IMO

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: serving trays

Yep, we bring our trays into the living room and sit in our recliners to watch TV while we dine.

Both of us wear bib aprons.

LOL!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome looking soup, and I'm with everyone else, I'm loving that serving bowl and side plate. How awesome! Where did you get that set?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, I got two (the other one is a deep blue color) of those soup-and-sandwich sets at some department store years ago. It might have been Bed and Bath, or Jordan Marsh (R.I.P.), or even Sears.

Thanks for the Karma! :)

Lee

Attachments

• Soup and sandwich set.JPG
    Soup and sandwich set.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this again today with the broth that I saved from this Chinese White-Cooked Chicken recipe (which was excellent, but I forgot to take pictures) from Milk Street https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/chinese-poached-chicken

Anyway, since I'm working on lowering my cholesterol, I omitted the pancetta entirely and the soup is spectacular! The star is the broth! It was wonderful from the poached chicken, but the rosemary added an absolutely terrific flavor! :blob_blue:

Shaved parm. cheese on top.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 161

Dogboa

Have you ever put parmesan bones (rinds) in a soup or sauce? It gives that little umami kick.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you ever put parmesan bones (rinds) in a soup or sauce? It gives that little umami kick.

Yep, I sure do when I have them, Craig! I put them in spaghetti sauce.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm still lusting after those soup and sandwich plates. I found some for 2 sets/$20 and an extra 20% off, but I didn't like the colors/pattern. They were a leaf and acorn pattern, which is not my style at all, but they do have the well for the soup bowl, which I definitely want. There was another set of two for $25, which I kind of liked, and there are others out there, but they're more than I want to pay. Still looking.

I can think of lots of uses for those...hot and sour soup/egg rolls, chili/fritos, soup/salad.

Soup looks great! That's a lot of cooking separate pots of beans if you don't use canned. I just wonder if you can soak and cook the two kinds of beans at the same time. I don't know if they would cook at the same rate or not, so that may be a bad idea.