AllenOK's Wicked Good Clam Chowder

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I saw this recipe on NCT under soups and just had to try it. Today was the day. I cut the recipe in half as I was cooking for two and we still only ate about half of it at most. The only deviation from the recipe was to add a dozen freshly steamed whole clams. Both my wife and I decided that it was the best clam chowder we've ever had. No extra pepper and no salt was added. We loved it just the way it was.

Kudos Allen, and thanks for a recipe that I'll be making many more times.

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
1 ½ large onion, diced
1 ½ c celery, diced
1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
½ t ground black pepper
1 ½ t tarragon
1 ½ t thyme
1 ½ t garlic, minced
2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
1 pt heavy cream
1 pt half and half
½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
NOTES: This is one I don’t really recommend that you freeze for later use. The potatoes will turn mealy in texture after you thaw and reheat the soup.

AllenOK

Thanks!

I've always wanted to steam fresh, live, clams to make this. However, that's only cost-effective if I have access to really cheap, or better yet, free clams. Since I'm in OK, good luck!