Rice Pudding

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I was going to post this in Deserts for Keltin but that is gone so I will put it here.

Now this is quoted to me by my wife who like me rarely measures anything. It has also been a long time since she made it last but here is the best she can remember how it went.

My Grandmother's Rice Pudding
Ingredients:
1 cups long grain white rice
1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
4 cups of Half and Half
1 cup of white raisins (soaked in 2 tbs of dark rum for adults or warm water for kids)
1/2 cup of sugar
1 whole egg beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon of Creme of Tatar
4 tablespoons of powdered sugar

Direction:
Cook the rice in 2 cups of half & half and salt until rice is done.

Once rice is done add balance of Half & Half, 1/2 cup of sugar, beaten egg, vanilla extract and cinnamon mix and allow to simmer until it thicken.

Add raisins to thickened rice with juice (rum or warm water) and transfer to a bowl.

Beat egg whites, creme of tater until you get soft peaks. Add the powder sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat still stiff meringue forms. Now add the meringue to the rice mixture and fold gently. Now fill glasses or other serving bowls and refrigerate till ready to serve.

If you wish you can sprinkle some cinnamon on top as well as a little whipped creme just before serving.

I hope we got the measurement correct but the ingredients are all there.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Keep in mind that most of this is based on how much my wife makes at one time which is often more than this. Some measurement might be off a bit but it will give you a good place to start I hope. I've never made it but my wife does and she like my grand mother never measure anything just seem to instinctively know how much.