Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I'll check it in a few minutes.
Avast is updating and I can't access videos then grrrrrrrrrr

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My son lives in Austin and I actually saw one of these signs! But you know, Austin is such an unusual place, it really didn't seem too weird!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I read about this a few weeks ago. Nothing against the road crews, but they don’t give a rat’s ass about electronic security. Those signs are CPU driven, and most have onboard PCs with terminals, others can be hacked into via an RS232 COM port. All you have to do is walk up and open the door. The system defaults to bogus system passwords like “password” and the road crew doesn’t change them, or god forbid, they do change them and then write them down on the terminal!

This wasn’t a major hack, but instead a wake-up call for better password security. Do NOT leave your passwords at default, nor should you write them down and stick them to your system. In all of the code we put in our systems before shipping, we use a standard Login/Password of “password”/”password” or “admin”/”password”. It’s just industry standard. And we strongly advise our customer to create new accounts and delete the factory defaults once they have their system up and running.

In the lab, we’ve actually hacked into competitor boxes via their CLI by using the standard “admin/password” combo.

Still…..it was funny. But, let it be a lesson that you need to change those default login and password handles……and DELETE the old defaults!

DickyBird

They should have used a more believable story line then Zombies, i mean Zombies are cool and all but i think KILLER DUCKS would have caused more of a stir! Either killer ducks or DOCTOR PEPPER IS A MARINADE.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I read about this a few weeks ago. Nothing against the road crews, but they don’t give a rat’s ass about electronic security. Those signs are CPU driven, and most have onboard PCs with terminals, others can be hacked into via an RS232 COM port. All you have to do is walk up and open the door. The system defaults to bogus system passwords like “password” and the road crew doesn’t change them, or god forbid, they do change them and then write them down on the terminal!

This wasn’t a major hack, but instead a wake-up call for better password security. Do NOT leave your passwords at default, nor should you write them down and stick them to your system. In all of the code we put in our systems before shipping, we use a standard Login/Password of “password”/”password” or “admin”/”password”. It’s just industry standard. And we strongly advise our customer to create new accounts and delete the factory defaults once they have their system up and running.

In the lab, we’ve actually hacked into competitor boxes via their CLI by using the standard “admin/password” combo.

Still…..it was funny. But, let it be a lesson that you need to change those default login and password handles……and DELETE the old defaults!
Exactly! It's easy to do and it happens often in Austin. The only reason this one got so much press was because of the clever zombie stuff. Actually, the first time I saw a hacked sign, it had Christian stuff and bible passages!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Exactly! It's easy to do and it happens often in Austin. The only reason this one got so much press was because of the clever zombie stuff. Actually, the first time I saw a hacked sign, it had Christian stuff and bible passages!
That must have been done by one of those extremist right wing terrorist groups that homeland insecurity was telling us about after the tea parties on Wednesday. You know, that bunch that are clinging to their guns and bibles because they have nothing else left. They are famous for these sorts of terrorist attacks.:sorry: