Grilled Bacon wrapped shrimp buffalo style

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
this is brought to you from a fellow Q'er from S.C. named Darrin.

so i bring to you this recipe and pictures with his blessing.

Pretty simple to make. You need raw shrimp (21-25 count per lb), Franks Original Hot Sauce, bacon (half slice per shrimp), Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, kosher salt.

IMGP1081.jpg

Peel and devein your shrimp. I brined my shrimp in salt and Tony's to add flavor. Dissolve quarter cup of salt and 2 teaspoons of Tony's in 1 cup boiling water and pour into a bowl. After salt is dissolved, add 2 cups of ice. When the water is cold, add your shrimp. Let sit in your salt/Tony's water for half an your or so.

IMGP1082.jpg

I cooked my bacon about halfway done so that it will crisp without having to overcook the shrimp. I put it on a griddle at about 250* so it will cook without curling up too bad. Do not overcook or it will be hard to wrap around your shrimp.

IMGP1084.jpg

By the time your bacon is done, your shrimp should be ready to come out of the water. Put them on a paper towel and pat dry. (start your charcoal)

Half a strip of bacon is just right for these size shrimp. Hold in place with a toothpick.

IMGP1088.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Used half a chimney of the new Kingsford Competition Charcoal. ( I like it!) Make sure your grill is not too hot or it will burn your bacon! I had to close off my dampers quite a bit to keep it from flaring up because of the bacon grease.

IMGP1091.jpg

Starting to look tasty.

IMGP1092.jpg

I melted 3 tablespoons of butter and then mixed that with 4 tablespoons of Franks Hot Sauce. Pour that over your shrimp.

IMGP1094.jpg

Serve with plenty of blue cheese and celery.

These were so good. I highly suggest you make some!!!

IMGP1096.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks good Bams! I'll bet a sweet and sour sauce would be nice too!

GrillinFool

That looks stellar. I do a lot of different things with shrimp on the grill, but for some reason I don't have many pics. The grocery store about a mile from my house carries these gigantic U10-12 shrimp that run about a buck a piece. Already come deveined but still in the shell. I will do two each for the wife and I or for another couple. Great appetizer.

I love doing this but with two changes, I use Chipotle Tobasco and I put the sauce on before I put them on the grill. I like the sauce caramelized.

Couple other things I do. I will wrap the shrimp with a basil leaf and then wrap it with the bacon. Or put a sprig of fresh rosemary in the cavity created when it was deveined and add the bacon over that. I also slather them in a honey mustard/honey/chili powder/garlic sauce and put them on the grill.

I'm constantly experimenting with these things. One of my favorite things to do on the grill....

chowhound

Those look great.
I admit, I use precooked shrimp when I wrap them in bacon and grill them for appetizers. I never precooked the bacon though. I might give the raw ones a try one of these days, but I had a bad experience buying "fresh" shrimp long ago... Guess I'll have to overcome that (lol). Love the Buffalo wing sauce idea.

BTW, on an Alton Brown episode he said if you start your bacon in a cold skillet, it will stay flat. He was right.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Those look great.
I admit, I use precooked shrimp when I wrap them in bacon and grill them for appetizers. I never precooked the bacon though. I might give the raw ones a try one of these days, but I had a bad experience buying "fresh" shrimp long ago... Guess I'll have to overcome that (lol). Love the Buffalo wing sauce idea.

BTW, on an Alton Brown episode he said if you start your bacon in a cold skillet, it will stay flat. He was right.

we have a hard time finding fresh unfrozen shrimp here..if we do find them they are way too expensive. we use uncooked shell on frozen ones

chowhound

we have a hard time finding fresh unfrozen shrimp here..if we do find them they are way too expensive. we use uncooked shell on frozen ones

Well put that on the list with pork butt steaks.. I didn't even know they had frozen uncooked shrimp. I guess I never looked for those either :bonk:
When I shop I have a plan, get in, get what I need, get out. Maybe I should take 5 minutes to "browse" :lol:
Now if they had a singles night at the grocery store.....

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
This sounds great and I want to try and make it! How do you de-vein shrimp though? I've never done that???

most shrimp now a days come pre-deveined....other than that, you just make a little slit on the underbelly and pull out the little dark piece..

buckytom

Grill Master
bam, those look incredible!!! i will be making those this summer.

i've made something similar before with teryaki sauce, adding a piece of water chestnut wrapped inside the bacon for texture. it adds a nice crunch. hey, i wonder if there's some way of incorporating the celery inside... hmm.

chowhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhound
The underbelly? I thought you ran the knife along its back.

your right..the back...hey i was working on my first coffee of the day when i posted the belly..lol

It's cool. I imagine you could do it that way, you just have more cuttin' to do. ;^)
lol

blondebullfrog

I got my shrimp last night and I already had the other
Ingredients. I plan on making them this evening! I can't cook mine on a grill as I dont have one.... So, I'm going to try using my brolier.... Will you know how they turned out!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I got my shrimp last night and I already had the other
Ingredients. I plan on making them this evening! I can't cook mine on a grill as I dont have one.... So, I'm going to try using my brolier.... Will you know how they turned out!

we cook something similar to these under the grill all the time...

only difference is ours have jalapenos in them.. you can also pan fry them a second time and i am sure they will come out just as tasty

blondebullfrog

Well... I was sucessfull with the broiler!! What a great meal!:a1: Thanks Bam! :applause: I think we'll be making this an a regular basis!!

Here's a pic of my attempt! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• tn_DSC00578.jpg
    tn_DSC00578.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 269

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
very good looking grub... i am glad someone else has tried these...

i need to get more shrimp to do these again

Well... I was sucessfull with the broiler!! What a great meal!:a1: Thanks Bam! :applause: I think we'll be making this an a regular basis!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Ummmm, looks good. Maybe you all come come to our house and cook that up for us, while we play with Kayla. :D

Thanks for posting a follow up with picture after trying the recipe Jeremy. Rep points for you. :thumb: :D