Quick Carolina-Style Pulled Pork (Pressure Cooker) TNT

FryBoy

Carolina pulled pork usually takes a long time to prepare. This pressure-cooker version may send purists into an apoplectic fit, but it's nevertheless good and has the advantage of being easy and quick.

Printable version attached (scroll to bottom, below last photo).

Quick Carolina Barbecue Pulled Pork

1 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1½ cups)
1 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes
½ cup dark corn syrup
½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons coarse Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¾ teaspoon celery salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 3-pound pork shoulder roast, trimmed, cut into strips, bone reserved

2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon mesquite-flavored Liquid Smoke

1. Combine the onion, tomatoes, corn syrup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt,¾ teaspoon of the pepper, and garlic in a pressure cooker.

2. Add the strips of pork and the reserved bone.

3. Cover, lock, and bring to high pressure over high heat.

4. Reduce the heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 25 minutes.

5. Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and let the pressure drop naturally, then carefully remove the cover.

6. Discard the bone; break up the meat with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon.

7. Mix in the tomato paste, maple syrup, Liquid Smoke, and the remaining ½ teaspoon pepper.

8. Bring the barbecue sauce to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 10 minutes to thicken.

Serve on rolls (traditionally soft hamburger buns, but heartier rolls, such as kaiser or sourdough rolls are good, too) with coleslaw and extra sauce on the side.

Note: you can the pulled pork serve immediately, but it’s even better the next day after the flavors have had a chance to meld.

Attachments

• Pulled Pork #1.jpg
    Pulled Pork #1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,790
  • Pulled Pork #2.jpg
    Pulled Pork #2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,678
  • Pulled Pork #3.jpg
    Pulled Pork #3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Pulled Pork #4.jpg
    Pulled Pork #4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,691
  • Pulled Pork #5.jpg
    Pulled Pork #5.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,662
  • Pork, Pulled, Carolina BBQ.pdf
    84.9 KB · Views: 559

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks a ton, Doug. In Florida I make pulled pork on the smoker but in my summer apartment no such devices are allowed. I have a slow cooker here (I'll buy a pressure cooker) so your recipe is now on my list of things to try.

FryBoy

Pressure cookers are great tools. Check on Amazon. I have two Kuhn-Rikon units, which are built like the proverbial brick sh*t house, with multiple redundant (is that redundant?) safety devices. However, I understand the Fagor units are about as good and a lot less expensive. Stick with stainless, of course.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. I have to talk DW into it as she witnessed a pressure cooker blowing its top some 45-50 years ago and has some fear. Me? I want one. :)

FryBoy

She needn't worry, at least with the Swiss-made Kuhn-Rikon Duromatic pressure covers. This ain't her granny's pressure cooker. Swiss-made should be enough -- as I said, brick-sh*t house construction, very heavy multi-layered stainless with a carbon-steel core and an extra thick bottom. But then there's the valve -- if the pressure is allowed to build too high, it opens and releases steam to reduce pressure. Second, there's a safety valve that pops if the pressure exceeds a certain amount. Third, the gasket will expand and allow steam to escape through two valves under the handles is the second device fails. Fourth, no pressure can build unless the lid is properly secured, and it has 8 interlocking steel pieces to keep it in place. Trust me -- if I needed to build an IED, I'd start with a Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker.

FryBoy

Which models, or how many quarts capacity, are your Kuhn-Rikons?
I have an 8-quart [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Duromatic-Pressure-Stockpot/dp/B001A08VPK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278210637&sr=8-13"]Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Family Style Pressure Cooker Stockpot 8 Quart[/ame]

product_glam_15_2.gif

and a 5-quart [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Duromatic-Pressure-Braiser/dp/B001A08V82/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278210637&sr=8-15"]Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Family Style Pressure Cooker Braiser 5 Quart. [/ame]

product_glam_19_2.gif

More information here:

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/pressure_cookers/

K

Kimchee

Um, that's darn nice looking pulled pork bbq, but us purists say it AIN'T CAROLINA STYLE.

Tomato??? Brown sugar???? Mustard??????

Nah, just a simple rub, then some vinegar red pepper flakes garlic and pepper
(or something similar) as the bbq sauce.

THAT'S Carolina style!

(Said totally tongue-in-cheek and humorously, since there are legions of Carolina
style BBQ recipes, just like everywhere else!)
:D:D:D:D

(but still..... )

;)

(as for why it is cheating, some feel that if it isn't slow cooked over low heat,
it ain't Q.)