chorizo ?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
CC, I don't know what brands are available in your area, but I like "Corona" brand here in Mexico. Be aware that there are many different kinds of chorizo - some of it is fresh, and needs to be thoroughly cooked, and some of it is smoked. That is usually labeled "Spanish" chorizo, and is what we prefer. Hope you find some that you like - it is certainly one of our favorite foods.

Carolina Cooking

I was in wal mart yesterdy, not my place to grocery shop persay.

There was a whole display of johnsonville sausages & one pack of chorizo left lol I took that as a good sign.
Then I saw 2 in the mexican food area .One said spanish, the other said smoked.they looked like stick of pepperoni.

The one I bought before came from one of those little mexican grocery stores where no one speaks English. That stuff was really greasy & was just bad.

I'll hunt for that brand next time.

thank you..

Guts

Carolina cooking. I think the chorizo you are speaking of is more of a sausage type chorizo . The Mexican kind of chorizo does get oily the stuff I have been buying is not as bad as the store-bought. And is more like a sausage or cooks up like hamburger. I've seen what they call chorizo on some of the cooking shows and is not at all like the chorizo that we have here by the border. I've been buying mine from a local shop that sells nothing but chorizo. Nothing else. It's a national city here in San Diego, which has a large Hispanic population. It is made with real casings and is very tasty but if you're not used to this style of chorizo. I can see where some people would not like it. One reason being they don't know how to cook it, one of the other reasons would be what to serve it with or how to prepare it with other ingredients. The chorizo that I've seen on cooking shows such as Paula Deen is a sausage looking type chorizo but when cut up. It has more of a texture of a hot dog or solid texture. And is used in soups and other light dishes. Sometimes this Bar-B-Q up like sausage. The Mexican chorizo that I buy can be barbecued like that but the regular store brought brand that they sell. Here would cook a very loose and oily not a very good quality of chorizo in my opinion. So I think in closing here. The chorizo that you are looking for would be more of a Cajun type chorizo, then a Mexican type chorizo. The Cajun type chorizo is hard to find out here on the West Coast. At least I haven't found it yet but may be very prevalent in your area. The Mexican people love their chorizo and is a staple for many meals.

I'm sorry I didn't have time to proofread this and I am late as I'm working today. Sorry so please do your best to interpret my grammar. I'm late and I have to go. I'll check back in later

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 88

Mr. Green Jeans

CC, I second Guts' comments. THe brands in supermarkets are nasty! Look for a Mexican carneceria that makes their own and you'll be in for a treat.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
CC - This may have been posted on here before, I do not remember. I made this and it was very good.

Chorizo Verde (Green Chorizo)

Ingredients
1*large fresh*poblano chile
1-2 fresh*serrano chilies, stemmed and roughly chopped
1*medium bunch*cilantro
1 1/2*lbs ground pork
2*teaspoons salt
Directions
1. 1
1. Roast the poblano chile directly over a gas flame or 4 inches below a very hot electric broiler, turning regularly until blistered and blackened all over, about 5 minutes for an open flame, about 10 minutes for the broiler. Cool until handleable, rub off the blackened skin, tear open and pull out the stem and seed pod. Quickly rinse to remove any seeds or bits of skin. Roughly chop and scoop into a food processor, along with the serrano(s) and cilantro. Pulse until uniformly chopped, then run the machine until you have a coarse puree.
2. 2
2. Finish the sausage. In a large bowl, combine the pork with the green seasonings and the salt—your hand is the most efficient utensil for working the seasonings thoroughly into the meat.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
have u got a local individually owned/operated place that sells charcuterie- or u could order some, too!
some places order items 4 customers if requested enuff an 'at

Carolina Cooking

I'll have to do a search. I know there has to be several. Except the one I stopped in :yuk: that place was a pit.

We have 1 asain food store & let me tell you ,,you need to go with a friend or 2 . One as backup :sad: Its in the worst part of town..
I decided to pass & just get what I needed in the oriental aisle of Publix.

truth be told, there is not one resturant here to get good auth Mexican or spanish or TexMex. food. Yet there is a one on every block & shopping center. I just stopped looking for one.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we have a several really good ones here here, this city is flooded w/ restaurants/retailors tho. not as many as like, NYC, u know, 'cept plenty fer the proximity of 'da burgh/ surrounding areas