Flipping the bird....

suziquzie

So I've heard that to cook a turkey a little more evenly you should (can, whatever) start the bird upside down and turn it over halfway thru cooking. :idea:
I've never tried it, I'm afraid I would face most certain disaster!!! :shock:
But I want to.
Anyone ever done it that way?

High Cheese

Saucier
Done it that way. Works pretty good, moist breast meat for sure. If you want some prctice, look up Secrets of a Restraunt Chef FN show Roast Chicken.

High Cheese

Saucier
No. Well...we have a non-stick rack too. But anyway, you can just put a bed of veg in the pan then the bird on top.

You start the bird on high heat to crisp the skin then turn over. You're basically giving the dark meat a head start.

suziquzie

Cool, thanks..... will try next time.
I'm halfway thru now but I'm thinkin' its not gonna work to flip it upside down now if I started the old fashioned way.

Calicolady

Yikes! Never tried it. Yes. I think it would be a 2 person job.

8_5_20.gif

suziquzie

oops. I only clicked on this thread because I thought Suzi was asking for a new smiley....
:biggrin:

LOL, no but it's a great thought for an avatar...... :tiphat::clap:

No Jeeks its breast up. I was too afraid to screw up and not get any answer by flip time..... see what thought did?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I have done - I have two big wide forks to put under and lift. I put it on a board to turn it and then put it back. I don't do it very often.

My sster roasts her turkeys breast down, she says it makes them moister. She had me bring her a new roasting rack when we went to Greece for Christmas with her and her family, as her old one had bit the dust several years ago. The one I found her from Kitchen Collectins was of the nonstick variety, for $4.99.

Fred

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
LOL, no but it's a great thought for an avatar...... :tiphat::clap:

No Jeeks its breast up. I was too afraid to screw up and not get any answer by flip time..... see what thought did?

Two great ideas for an avatar... the obvious one... and one of a turkey spinning around and around... LOL

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, i thought this thread was about the famous finger motion. who knew it would be about cooking?
:biggrin:

squzie, it can be done easily with chickens. i do it when i have the time.

it only makes a small difference in the breast moistness, so i don't always bother. dw likes her roast chickens well done, so i'll try to flip the boid when i know she's gonna check how well done i've made it.

on a funny finger note: a korean buddy once showed me how koreans insultingly flip the bird at people. you stick the tip of your thumb between your index and middle finger, then pump it in the air. he asked me what that same motion would mean in america. i told him that here, it's called "got your nose".

it took me all afternoon to explain that one.

For what it is worth, I always roast turkeys and chickens upside down, and flip them. I dont guess I ever thought about it, just kinda assumed that is what everyone did. I dont flip half-way thru though, it is more like 3/4 .... just enough right side up to make them crisp and pretty.

suziquzie

LOL.. cute. legogirl SCREAMED at her Dad yesterday for taking her nose.... guess that woulda gone over better had he taken it off BEFORE the lego....

I figured I'd give it a try because I'm not usually too happy about how the thighs come out.... greasy and rubbery it seems. We never eat them just use them in broth and chuck 'em.
Thanks I think a roast chicken is Saturday's plan.

AllenOK

I usually brine my birds. I've never flipped. After I started brining my birds, they always came out moist!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've only flipped a bird once, and did it Jeeks' way.....fork and tongs. Works well. These days. I just deep fry them!

YeOldeStonecat

I've cooked them in this manner....yes it does result in juicier breast meat.

You lose that gorgeous presentation of all the browned skin on the breast...but who cares...end result is what makes it to your mouth. And since I usually carve up the bird before serving...the loss of fancy presentation of all that golden skin on the breast really doesn't go to waste.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We have a set of these, and use them more than just for poultry. I once chased DW up the stairs with them, into the bedroom, closed the door....

Constance

My first MIL taught me to roast the turkey breast down so the fat from the back runs down to the breast. I have never bothered flipping the bird, although I may try it next time.
Like Keltin, we often deep fry the turkey these days.