Dried Pitted Dates

chilefarmer

Shipped by mistake by one of our vendors 50 pounds of dates. What to do with that many I have no clue, help please.
Also received 50 pounds of dried apricots, made preserves and pie filling from them. CF

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I'm going to make "Devils on Horseback" for our Kentucky Derby party this year.

They are dates, either soaked in soy, or port or nothing, stuffed with almonds or cheese or nothing, wrapped in bacon and baked.

That will do for a few dozen.

Here is the recipe I will be doing. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/215385/devils-on-horseback/

But I might also try a few soaked in tawny port and stuffed with blue cheese, the way I first tried one at a barbecue competition (from Robbie Richter, who now owns at least one restaurant in NYC).

There are simpler ones - the only common denominators are dates and bacon.

Lee

Saliha

What about date syrup? I use it to some cakes and cookies as well some desserts. Here is recipe:

Dates Syrup

IMG_4483.jpg

Ingredients

2 cup of seedless dates
2 cup of hot boiling water

Method

1. Wash and soak dates in hot water for at least for 2 hours

IMG_4464.jpg

2. Mash the dates well, filter and extract the water using a cheese cloth

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

3. Add this pulp back to the bowl used for soaking and pour little more water, squeeze up and filter again

4. Bring this water to a boil in a heavy bottom pan, keep string to prevent burning at the bottom

IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

5. Boil till you see a thick consistency. The right consistency is to be as thick as honey. It took 11 mins for me on a medium high flame.

IMG_4476.jpg

Notes:

1. Do not over boil; else the syrup will be burnt
2. While boiling , the mix looks frothy and white, do not worry, it will settle down once cool and you will get a glossy syrup
3. Keep refrigerated.
4. Use within a week.
5. After filtering the pulp of dates the second time, you can use it for baking breads. It has still taste and healthy fibers.

Source: http://indianhealthyrecipes.com/how-to-make-dates-syrup-at-home-step-by-step/

Creamy date shake is also one my favorite:

Creamy date shake

7688606846_d2db78da85_b.jpg

Serves 2

1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/2 whole milk yogurt
2 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoon honey (optional)

Remove any seeds and stems from the dates.

In a large blender combine all the ingredients and blend at least one minute or until the mixture is smooth or to the preferred texture.

Pour into glasses and serve with a straw for easier drinking.

http://myhalalkitchen.com/creamy-date-shake/

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I just saw an episode of The Kitchen and GZ made a stuffing for pork roast that had dates in it. Not sure what variety of dates you have or if you have the other ingredients but I would think you can use this recipe as a template and make it work for you.

Click>>> Olive and Medjool Date Stuffed Pork Loin

chilefarmer

All recipes look so good, pork loin I will be trying for sure I have all the ingredients . But with all the recipes so far leaves me with about 45 pounds left. Guess its time to do some gifting. I will be trying them all. Thanks. CF