What's in YOUR eggnog?

Ronjohn

For me, either dark rum or bourbon. Currently it's this one:
bulleit.jpg

And the egg nog is by Calder's dairy. So thick you can barely get the liquor to mix in.
calder-eggnog.jpg

I usually skip the nutmeg on the top though. Just personal preference.

So... (queues up his Capital one card commercial voice...) "What's in YOUR egg nog?" (Not that it isn't good on it's own, of course)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I personally love egg nog neat. Now I have no problems with drinking but it ruins a good egg nog to me. I would rather a rum and coke or a Bourbon and sprite. I actually made my own egg nog for Thanksgiving and it turned out really thick and rich tasting unlike most of the store brought brands.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Bulleit bourbon, by the way....is pretty nice, indeed.

We have the ah....ahem....Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for christmas eve:bounce:

Ronjohn

I don't know if it counts as "in the egg nog", but some egg nog in the coffee can be good, too. :)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I named this recipe after I had it at a neighbor's house and swooned. I've since made it myself a couple of years.

The note is mine, from a previous post.

Lee

Best in the Universe Eggnog

This is so rich and foamy. I didn't have a punch set, so I served this in a borrowed trifle bowl, with an eclectic array of various glasses: martinis, wines, desserts, ballentine beer glasses, liqueur glasses, etc. People could take as little or as much as they wanted, as they chose their own glasses.

BEITU (Best Eggnog in the Universe)

1 dozen eggs, separated
½ teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups sugar
2 (or more) cups bourbon
½ cup rum
1 quart milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
3 pints cream

Beat egg yolks with salt. Add ½ cup sugar and beat until thick. Mix in bourbon, rum, quart of milk, and vanilla. Beat egg whites till foamy. Add remaining sugar to egg whites and beat till stiff. Whip cream until stiff. Fold egg whites and whipped cream into booze/milk mixture.

Chill well before serving.

pictureto1004073ij3.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have this recipe and several others. I actually like Emeril's old fashioned Egg Nog the best but they are all better than anything one would buy. I just leaver out the booze unless asked for as I said before I just love egg nog straight.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
joe, do you (or anyone else who makes eggnog from scratch) worry about the raw eggs?

Last time I made this, I had intestinal cramping, mostly mild, intermittent, for a couple of weeks.

I went to the doctor (after 3 weeks) who said I might have had some salmonella in there, but there was no way for her to be sure,and that it would just take awhile to go away.

I've been chicken (no pun intended) to make it again. But I REALLY want to!

What about you?

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
joe, do you (or anyone else who makes eggnog from scratch) worry about the raw eggs?

Last time I made this, I had intestinal cramping, mostly mild, intermittent, for a couple of weeks.

I went to the doctor (after 3 weeks) who said I might have had some salmonella in there, but there was no way for her to be sure,and that it would just take awhile to go away.

I've been chicken (no pun intended) to make it again. But I REALLY want to!

What about you?

Lee

I've only gotten a food born illness once in my life and that was in London England at a highly recommended Fish and Chips joint. I've eaten raw eggs most of my life and never had a problem. The egg nog recipe I was talking about is cooked to a point that it shouldn't be a problem. You can get the recipe from the Food Network site under Old Fashioned Egg Nog by Emeril. If you do a search you will get several different version including others by Emeril and Alton Brown's which is good too and also has cooking instructions as well.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
For me depends on the eggs. For most cooking we buy regular Grade A large eggs from ALDI. But when it comes to things like eggnog or eggs Benedict or fried eggs we go with the organic ones at Whole Foods. They taste way better anyway...

EDIT: Forgot to add, we always wash the eggs first before using, never know what might be hanging around on the shell...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We only buy eggs from Whole Foods ourselves as well as wash when we bring them home. Now we have only bought eggs from Whole Food for since coming to Lexington as it didn't exist in Miami in our area when we lived there though we had no problem getting fresh eggs direct from the farm there.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know if it counts as "in the egg nog", but some egg nog in the coffee can be good, too. :)

If you go to starbucks and ask for the egg nog latte all you are getting is regular coffee with a splash of egg nog. I recently asked for a bit more of the syrup, mentioning the last time I purchased it it was a bit weak on the nog flavour...I was informed that all they do is add regular quality egg nog instead of milk. All that money for something you can so easily do at home.

Phiddlechik

I do Tom and Jerry's instead. I add gran marnier and capt. morgan, along with boiling water. I store the batter in the freezer.

For me, either dark rum or bourbon. Currently it's this one:

And the egg nog is by Calder's dairy. So thick you can barely get the liquor to mix in.
calder-eggnog.jpg

I usually skip the nutmeg on the top though. Just personal preference.

So... (queues up his Capital one card commercial voice...) "What's in YOUR egg nog?" (Not that it isn't good on it's own, of course)

French Toast ;). I make it from scratch on occasion, and add fresh nutmeg, rum or bourbon. AB, had a show recently on making en from scratch -- using raw or cooked eggs. Much better homemade.

waybomb

It's time for the egg-nog season again. I'd like to share my dad's recipe.

Egg Nog

1. 3 Eggs​
2. ½ Cup Sugar​
3. ¼ Cup Cognac​
4. ½ Cup Light Rum​
5. ½ Cup Countreiou Orange Liquor​
6. ¾ Cup Milk​
7. 1 ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream​
Separate Eggs, save the whites in a container in the refrigerator, put yolks in large bowl, and beat till smooth. Gradually add sugar then Cognac, then Rum, then Orange Liquor. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.​

After at least one hour, add milk, fold in whipped cream, then stiffly beaten egg whites.​
Pour into glasses and top with Nutmeg.​

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I may try yours this year, Waybomb, despite my possible salmonella last time I made mine.

For one thing, your recipe portions seem more reasonable, since I'm one of the few people who will actually drink the stuff!

Thanks!

Lee