Pasta with Lobster in Saffron Cream Sauce

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Like most of my recipes, I just make it up as I go along...
For purposes of posting, however I endeavour to be as accurate as possible when it comes to what my measurements were.

Serves 4-6

2 live lobsters - about a pound and a quarter, each
1/2 c crab meat (usually great pasturized stuff in cans, in the fridge section)
1/8c chopped shallots
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2c butter
1 1/2 c heavy cream
3 cups dry white wine
1/2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
3T saffron threads
1/2 c peas
2 t. nutmeg

1 pound pasta

Steam the lobsters. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the tails and claws. Keep the tails intact for plate presentation.

Saute the shallots, garlic and mushrooms in the butter till soft and fragrant Add the saffron threads, stir for a minute. Add the cream and nutmeg, bring to a boil. Add the wine, lower heat to low and simmer for 1/2 hour. Cook the pasta to al dente. Add the crab meat and chopped lobster meat from the claws to the sauce. After you strain the pasta, toss it into the sauce pot, letting it cook one more minute in the sauce. Add the peas.

Ladle the pasta with sauce into bowls. Top with slices of lobster tail, fresh chopped parsley and grated cheese.
weekenddinner075.jpg

weekenddinner081.jpg

weekenddinner087.jpg

weekenddinner091-1.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's a really nice dish. I might just have to try this one out for Father's Day. BTW, I have never seen such a large amount of saffron in my life. That stuff runs about the same price as gold around here.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome looking dish Vera!!

I agree with Cooksie, Saffron is about the most expensive spice I know of.......how did you get so much? Wow!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I got the saffron as a christmas gift from my exhusband's girlfriend. Wait till I make seafood paella with it!

GotGarlic

Wow - a chef's ransom in saffron there :lol: Did you say three tablespoons?!? I can't imagine what that must cost, or how great it must taste :smile: Gorgeous dish.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Quite honestly, if you wanted to omit the saffron for economic reasons (like I said, mine was a gift...) I would be tempted to use fresh lemon zest as an equally appealing alternative. Indeed, the flavour would change completely, but that would be the direction I'd take it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I got the saffron as a christmas gift from my exhusband's girlfriend. Wait till I make seafood paella with it!

I'm looking very forward to that paella! I've never made it and have been wanting to!! Can't wait!! :thumb:

GotGarlic

Cool - thanks for the tip. And what a great ex-husband's girlfriend you have :smile: It's cool that you have such a great relationship with them.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Wait till I make seafood paella with it!

Oh ye-yah......can't wait.

I can't imagine what kind of gift my ex-husband's wife might give me. I can tell you this though. It sure wouldn't be pretty, and it sure wouldn't be saffron. :lol: Good for you!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Oh ye-yah......can't wait.

I can't imagine what kind of gift my ex-husband's wife might give me. I can tell you this though. It sure wouldn't be pretty, and it sure wouldn't be saffron. :lol: Good for you!

I am lucky in the best way, indeed. I sent her the pictures I posted here, giver her full credit for the saffron, naturally.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
You’re really lucky Vera! About the only thing my ex or anyone related/associated with her would give me is Finger Food.

No…….forget the food part……it’s just the Finger! :yum: