Mushroom bread pudding

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Not really sure where to put this since it could go in bread, vege, or dairy forums. Anyway, as follows:

This puffs slightly like a souffle in the oven and will fall slightly as it cools. We like to serve it with prime rib or steaks.

Courtesy Emeril Lagasse
"Emeril's Creole Christmas"

Ingredients
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 Cups thinly sliced yellow onion
2 tsp salt
1/4 plus 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb assorted mushrooms (shiitaki, oyster and crimini, wiped clean and chopped
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
5 large eggs
2 Cups heavy cream
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 Cups country rustic bread, crust removed and cut in 1" cubes (can be bought or homemade)
1/2 Cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Directions

Over medium high heat, place 2 Tbsp butter in a large saute pan. Add the onions, 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of cayenne and the black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the onions soften, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they are slightly soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and let cool.

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with the remaining 1 Tbsp butter.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs for 30 seconds with a whisk. Add the cream, remaining teaspoon of salt, remaining 1/8 tsp cayenne, the Tabasco and Worcestershire. Whisk until blended

Add the onion-mushroom mixture and bread cubes to the custard and mix until well incorporated. Pour the mixture into the prepard casserole and sprinkle the top evenly with the cheese. Bake until the pudding is golden brown and bubbly, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.

Attachments

• 2018-06-17 17.19.18.jpg
    2018-06-17 17.19.18.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 179
  • 2018-06-17 17.49.59.jpg
    2018-06-17 17.49.59.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter