What's Cooking NCT Sunday June 8 - Saturday June 14, 2014?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I pulled a corned beef out of the freezer. Boiled it and we had that with taters and cabbage for dinner tonight.

Embryodad

:mrgreen:Tinamommy went to Mays landing to see her uncle today....3 hrs down, and coming back 4 hours (shore traffic ).
I don't know how she does it. She was sweltering there, and called me and said it was 86º and humid. She was dripping wet.
I was surprised because it was only 78 here and breezy with low humidity.

I made grilled sausage and peppers and onions.... I forgot the sausage on the grill, and it charred a little too much than I wanted it to.

It was OK.... Not hot enough for me.

Tina brought back sugar cinnamon doughnuts from the farm stand.
ummmmm!!

arrgggghhh....I'm full now!.... DD just brought 7 doz. fresh eggs from her farm... Gonna spend the few hours b-4 bed thinking of what to make wit the eggs. I was thinking of a quiche with broccoli. :D

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I grilled some sage sausage links last night. I always nuke mine so they are done in the center before I put them on the grill. Tonight is still open till I have a thought or spy something in the freezer.:mrgreen:

Embryodad

I grilled some sage sausage links last night. I always nuke mine so they are done in the center before I put them on the grill. Tonight is still open till I have a thought or spy something in the freezer.:mrgreen:

Oh!.... A freezer spy, huh? ..... nyuck nyuck nyuck!.....

:yum:

I told Tina...some eve, what we should do, is instead of watching TV... open the fridge and freezer doors, and sit and watch the food we would like to make.
:fridge:
She said...yeah!... and soon we will either be at the funny farm, or sittin and watchin them make caskets. :sad:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Made cheese fondue and salad last night. Tonight will be salad I think with HB egg and/or tuna.

Got laid off today so I will be able to do the cooking again.

Embryodad

We are having Susans Meatballs for supper.
A recipe from friend in Navy ( grnd beef egg bread ; fried lightly and cooked in oven with mushroom soup. good.

Tina had a dr. appnt. in Cedar Knolls, a 50 min drive, and she called to tell me they built a HUGH ShopRite supermarket. around the corner.
She picked up a few things, and said, " hon, I could spent 2 hours here going through the isles; it's so big!" haaaaaa.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry about the job Peeps. I picked down a rotisserie chicken and diced up some celery and onion with soup base and a little corn starch to make hot chicken sandwiches. It turned out great.:clap:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Pork spare ribs in the slow cooker with buttered noodles with Mrs.Dash on them and some cauliflower from our garden last year.

Embryodad

Today was Dr. day (again ) and Got some good news.
My vision may come back to normal .....Dr. said Mini Stroke will repair itself because she noticed my eye quivering a little.
Tina and I were so happy.

Tina cooked cubes of steak and braised it with canned stewed tomatoes and onions for a couple hours in the Cast Iron Fry Pan.

Ooooo! It was so good. Ate only 3/4 of a small roll with only a tsp. of butter.
Gotta cut the fats, and carbs Dr said. Borderline Diabetic, and High Cholesterol.
High B/P is an issue too.

Ha Ha Ha .. time to dust off the scale, and start diet N O W !!!

Embryodad

Here are some pics of the cabbage casserole Tina made today! sausage onions beef, tomato soup , and diced pepper.

It was OK.... but a little sweet. Te recipe called for brown sugar.
Tina will omit that next time.
The cabbage was hard. I asked if it was skunk cabbage. haha:laugh:

I mentioned that it would be great on a bed of cauliflower next time!
If we took all the cabbage out, it would be like eating sloppy Joes.
I said to Tina,"Manwich!" :twak:

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
That looks good Jimmy! The cabbage messes up my coumadin though and I just this week got it back in the proper range. We made chili last night with a lot of veggies in it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm with Tina. I stopped making real cabbage rolls a long time ago. I do still shape the meat into balls then just put them on top of a layer of chopped cabbage.

Snow crab for dinner tonight :blob_blue:

Embryodad

I'm with Tina. I stopped making real cabbage rolls a long time ago. I do still shape the meat into balls then just put them on top of a layer of chopped cabbage.

Snow crab for dinner tonight :blob_blue:
I know cooksie, but my little Slovakian Lady still likes to do the cabbage rolls (Halupki ) .
She can roll out a batch as quick as you can blink an eye!

What we do now, is roll like 8 for dinner, and then Tina will fill and roll out maybe 30 more. We freeze on oiled trays, and then separate them into baggies of 8.
When we want them.....we just lay them in a pot, and throw the tomatoes or tomato sauce or both to cover them, and cook them on top slow and covered.

We like all Pork filling. The trick is, ( Handed down from her Grandma ) to add water to the filling so that it is more on the slushy consistancy, and that way, they won't ball up hard and tough. They will be moist inside>
Even if using beef. Add just enough water to the filling to keep them moist as they cook.She said,"The Rice alone sucks up most of that liquid, and that's why some peoples' come out dry and hard inside!"

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I know cooksie, but my little Slovakian Lady still likes to do the cabbage rolls (Halupki ) .
She can roll out a batch as quick as you can blink an eye!

What we do now, is roll like 8 for dinner, and then Tina will fill and roll out maybe 30 more. We freeze on oiled trays, and then separate them into baggies of 8.
When we want them.....we just lay them in a pot, and throw the tomatoes or tomato sauce or both to cover them, and cook them on top slow and covered.

We like all Pork filling. The trick is, ( Handed down from her Grandma ) to add water to the filling so that it is more on the slushy consistancy, and that way, they won't ball up hard and tough. They will be moist inside>
Even if using beef. Add just enough water to the filling to keep them moist as they cook.She said,"The Rice alone sucks up most of that liquid, and that's why some peoples' come out dry and hard inside!"
The Hungarian recipe (from my aunt's Hungarian MIL) I have calls for layers of cabbage rolls, sauerkraut and kielbasa slices and she used Sacramento Tomato juice instead of sauce to simmer in.