Easy Eggplant Casserole

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, I’ve never cooked with eggplant before, so I just decided to throw caution to the wind and make this one up. Got to admit, it turned out rather well……if you like eggplant. Eggplant has an odd consistency and flavor that reminds me a bit of cantaloupe. But, it’s not unpleasant, just different. That’s the cool part about cooking in no-man’s land…there are no rules. Just do it and see what happens.

So, here is my creation of an Eggplant Casserole. There’s no meat in this, so if you’re vegetarian and eat dairy, then you can make this one as well.

Easy Eggplant Casserole

Ingredients

1 Large Eggplant (about 2lbs)
1 bag shredded cheese (16 oz)
1 Jar Spaghetti sauce (26 oz - 1Lb, 10oz)
3/4 cup Merlot wine
2-3 cups dry Rotini noodles
1/2 cup Cheese Nips, roughly crushed
Salt, Pepper, and seasonings of choice

Procedure

You don’t have to peel the eggplant. Cut the eggplant into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes. In a large sauté pan, add some oil, and over med heat, cook the eggplant covered. Leave it covered for roughly 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This is more of a sweat than a fast sauté.

After 15 minutes, remove the lid and turn the heat to high. Once up to temp, pour in the wine and stir quickly as the eggplant will absorb it in no time.

After that, pour in your sauce, stir well, and cover. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

As the sauce and eggplant simmer. Cook the Rotini noodles. When done, set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the eggplant and sauce with the Rotini noodles and half of the shredded cheese. Stir till well blended. Now pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Top with the crushed Cheese Nips. Finally, top with the remaining half bag of shredded cheese.

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until the top is nicely browned and bubbly.

Cut into chunks as you would lasagna and serve.

Step_1-83.jpg

Step_2-82.jpg

Step_3-75.jpg

Step_4-70.jpg

Step_5-63.jpg

Step_6-54.jpg

Step_7-41.jpg

Step_8-32.jpg

Step_9-27.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Kinda reminds me of an eggplant Parmesan, except you would use mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in it, and no noodles.
Looks real good, Keltin!