Help me save this dish

PanchoHambre

Here's the deal.

I had to cook some pork loin ... did not have a lot of time to think about it

also had some stock that needed to be used

so of it went down like this

Took the loin, browned it deglazed skillet w white wine then threw it all in a pot and braised it in chicken stock w/carrot onion potatoes..

The result is braised pork, potatoes etc floating around in stock... it is sort of like pork soup... it tastes fine but BLAND boring and I all ready had some for lunch... some is frozen but some needs go soon

I was thinking I could make some sort of sauce or gravy out of the stock? It needs something... the only flavors there now are some HDP,garlic and clearly not enough salt.

I am not real good at gravies

Calicolady

Add some sour cream, ground black pepper and if you have poultry seasoning (sage, oregano, thyme, marjoram) sprinkle some of that in. And MORE garlic powder and onion powder and salt.
Sundried tomatoes wouldn't be a bad addition to the sour cream either. Blend the broth with above and serve over egg/eggless noodles.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Or if you want to go Asian simply cut the pork up in strips and marinate in some soy sauce, mirin or rice wine, bit of ginger for about an hour. The make up a good Asian BBQ sauce hoisin and stir fry quickly then dip it in the sauce. This would go good with fried rice, snow pies, or any other vegetable you might like.

I often use left over pork by cutting it into cubes and marinating it in soy and hoisin sauce then the remove the pork and add to fried rice to make fried rice and pork.

My method is another option to Cali's which also sounds good to me.

Calicolady

jc, that sounds good. Didn't think along those lines as I've been eating so much "oriental" lately I'm tired of it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Hush your mouth woman there is no such thing as too much Asian food. You know you will be hungry again in 30 minutes. :shock:

Calicolady

OMG! What was I thinking?
billthecat.gif
??? ???

Forgive me, OH WISE ONE.

High Cheese

Saucier
Is the loin whole or what?

If it's whole like a roast, you can strain everything and make a gravy or sauce out of the stock. I don't know what shape the veg is (mushy or not) you could seperate that as the side sish. Reduce the liquid down and add a roux to thicken. Slice the loin, cover with the sauce, plate the veg and add maybe a side salad.

PanchoHambre

yeah its pretty much whole... in chunks I guess I portioned it out into a few containers the veggies not too mushy easy to isolate from the stock

High Cheese

Saucier
I wouldn't sweat the veg. It added alot of flavor to the liquid so you could just toss it. Then you're open to many ideas. If you want to keep it, just strain the whole shabang.

chowhound

Or you could blend it with the veggies in it and that would thicken the stock up. Then you are open to adding fresh veggies and turning it into a stew or thick barley soup. (I happen to love barley.)
You could shred some of the pork loin and toss it in then freeze any extra. It's cooked, so it will refreeze. I like having pulled pork on hand in the freezer to add to stuff or make a sandwich.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have an idea, Pancho! Make this, All Day Porl Loin Chili http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...agh/all-day-pork-loin-chili-recipe/index.html

This is one of my favorite chilis. Skip the browning of the pork, obviously, and instead of all the tomatoes, use your stock for liquid. Follow the rest of the recipe.

I was VERY skeptical about cooking pork loin for so long, but, as the Hearty Boys said, it DID "give up and get all tender, like butter". LOL!

Anyway, it's delicious, and will add lots of flavor to your pork and stock.

Lee

Last edited:

PanchoHambre

Well tonight I did the gravy thing..... i really need to get on the gravy boat more... totally turned a bland flat pile into a rich and tasty dinner... made a roux gravy with the stock and some milk and poured it over the meat and veggies... soo much better... still got a couple portions frozen maybe will try some of the Asian ideas with them.

chowhound

That's cool, Pancho.
I jumped on the gravy train not too long ago and am getting the hang of turning a little bit oof juice into some tasty gravy. Make extra. It goes great on fries, too!