Great Northern Beans

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Anyone here ever cook with them before? I bought a bad of em today on a fluke.

Here is a little blurb about them

Preparation, uses, and tips

Before cooking, soak the beans for 8 hours and pressure cook for 20 minutes, or simmer on the stove for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. After cooking with savory spices, Great Northern beans can be puréed into a delicious soup, sauce, or pâté. 1 cup of dried Great Northern beans yields approximately 2 1/2 cups of cooked beans.

Buying and storing tips

Choose smooth, uniformly shaped dried beans and store them in airtight containers in a cool, dry place; they will keep for up to a year.

Varieties

Like the smaller navy bean, Great Northern beans are related to kidney beans and pinto beans. Most Great Northern beans eaten in the United States are grown in the Midwest.

Nutrition Highlights

Great Northern beans, 1 cup (177g) (boiled)
Calories: 209
Protein: 14.7g
Carbohydrate: 37.3g
Total Fat: 0.79g
Fiber: 12.4g
*Excellent source of: Iron (3.7mg), Magnesium (88.5mg), and Folate (181 mcg)
*Good source of: Calcium (120mg)

http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/health/1777007/

joec

Gold Site Supporter
God I love beans, don't think I've ever tried a type I didn't just plain love.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I like them, but don't think I have ever cooked them from the bag. Sadly, I always buy the canned stuff. Like joec, I just can't get enough of beans. Free gas all day long!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I buy both dry and can beans it just takes a bit longer with the dry but not a lot of work.

Locutus

I buy both dry and can beans it just takes a bit longer with the dry but not a lot of work.

Ahhhhh....... BEANS!!!

I cook Great Northern beans just like pintos. (1 lb of beans)

1 soak overnight

2 Drain, wash, and fill pot with water and beans.

3 Add 4-6 strips of thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1 inch lengths, or sausage cut as youv like it.

4 Add 1 cup diced bell peppers, 2 medium diced conions, a couple of tablespoons of powdered or granulated garlic.

5 1/4 cup chopped parsley

6 2 cans tomato sauce

7. Most importantly, red cayenne pepper to taste. (this should be done last, when they're almost cooked, so you can decide how much you want to use.)

8 Cook 3-4 hours, or until tender.

I like to serve them in a soup bowl, and eat with fresh French bread. :clap::clap:

babe

i soak over night in crock pot, not turn on, just handy. pour off water, i mix chicken stock and water to cover the beans. i add, sliced or diced, celery,onion,tomatoes,maybe corn just a bit. season pepper only. add ham bone or ham hocks, that is why no salt. both are very salty. cook on low crockpt bout 8 hours. i serve with cornbread and a green salad.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
i soak over night in crock pot, not turn on, just handy. pour off water, i mix chicken stock and water to cover the beans. i add, sliced or diced, celery,onion,tomatoes,maybe corn just a bit. season pepper only. add ham bone or ham hocks, that is why no salt. both are very salty. cook on low crockpt bout 8 hours. i serve with cornbread and a green salad.
I make mine similar to this - just like I make Navy beans.