Spam!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We've had some spam this morning and expect some more before it is all over.

Your moderating team is killing it as fast as we can.

If you do see a post that looks like spam, use the report post button (upper right hand corner of the post, looks like a little triangle) to let us know.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Forgot something Attention Spammers!

If your first post is spam, you will be BANNED FOREVER!

The Tourist

Banned
Yikes, isn't that just like a tinker.

I saw the name of the post, got hungry, and assumed the thread was about creative ways to serve SPiced hAM.

I actually like Spam. Er, the meat, not the advertising.

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Yikes, isn't that just like a tinker.

I saw the name of the post, got hungry, and assumed the thread was about creative ways to servce SPiced hAM.

I actually like Spam. Er, the meat, not the advertising.

I like the real spam too. Do they still make the version with chunks of cheese in it?

Just don't like all this junk that is going around this morning.

Jim

The Tourist

Banned
Seriously, I think something evil this way comes. I think the main thrust is over control of forums and new ways to find customers.

For example, one of the forums I used to haunt just had a fight by two owners over control of the corporate entity.

When I posted my NC membership in KnifeForums, I got a PM from a mod that "we should wait" until the head guys check out a conflict of interest among their advertisers.

Frankly, the groups should be looking for each other. Chefs need knife guys for products and service. A serious cutler or sharpener should welcome a forum of potential clients with both hands.

All KF members and NC members should join each others' forums.

Why should I stock a nakiri inventory if the foodies want santukos? And when the folks here buy a decent knife, where do they go for service? You don't find tinkers in every book of Yellow Pages.

Along with the legitimate trade, you get Spam and Pop-Ups. Too bad. There's always the risk that good people are going to assume that the troublesome ads are from those other folks.

If I do but one thing here at NC, it's introduce individuals to each others forums. Frankly, I'm glad sattie is leading the way on this.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
The junk comes and goes as the bots find links one way or the other. Actually, the ip addresses are mostly from overseas.

I help moderate Doc's tractor forum and it's been hit hard this morning, we've banned 10 or 12 new users and moved around 25 posts from public view.

Is the forum with the owners in dispute THR by any chance?

Jim

The Tourist

Banned
Is the forum with the owners in dispute THR by any chance?--Jim

Well, as my deceased Uncle Carmine used to say, "If you wish to stab someone in the back, be a man and go through the front."

It would be a severe breach of honor and dignity (as I have demonstated so well here in my usual brand of gallows humor) to name the offending parties and betray a trust.

I choose to take the high road in this matter...

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have been hit hard by spam bots. It started on my Tractor site and then came here. We are taking measures to try to stop the bots, but so far some are still getting through.
The bot activity is based out of China. I feel I need to make one thing perfectly clear: No member here had anything to do with this spam. This is bots from Asia. We'll get them under control but until we do if you see an out of place post, rest assured that it will be taken care of as soon as we can get to it.
Thanks for your support.
Doc

The Tourist

Banned
No member here had anything to do with this spam.

Doc, thank you very much.

I have been informed that some tongues have been wagging. Your generous post will be a great comfort to some, and you and Jim have my deep respect for the manner in which this situation has been handled.

I've known some very poor mods.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
One thing i might add is PLEASE if you see something that looks like spam REPORT IT!

The report post button is in the top right of each post, on the blue bar, it is a triangle white background rimmed in red with an "I" in it.

The mod team is working as hard as we can to catch them before they post but we do miss some especially when 20 new spam users sign up and start posting!