Son Tea/coffee maker Tea?

Guts

Does anybody else use there coffee maker to make tea? I've been doing this for quite some time with great results. I started out doing this one cloudy morning what I wanted iced tea. In the summertime I usually make Sun Tea, but have been using my coffeemaker to make it now. I very rarely make Sun Tea anymore, I use a coffee filter and six teabags per gallon of water. a lot of times I'll do this in the morning and have a hot cup of tea with breakfast and let the rest of the Tea cool before refrigerating it. Using the coffee filter seems to help in the respect that there's not as much sentiment as Sun Tea IMO.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 168

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I just boil water, turn it off and steep the tea bags in the water.

Nice coffee maker you got there Guts! What is that gadget next to it?

BTW...you have got to have one of the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen. In every picture of anything I have ever seen in your kitchen, it is spotless. I wish I could keep my kitchen that clean all of the time :applause:

Guts

I just boil water, turn it off and steep the tea bags in the water.

Nice coffee maker you got there Guts! What is that gadget next to it?

BTW...you have got to have one of the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen. In every picture of anything I have ever seen in your kitchen, it is spotless. I wish I could keep my kitchen that clean all of the time :applause:

mama I too have steeped teabags. I guess what I was trying to say is using a coffee maker with a coffee filter makes the Ice-Tea with a little less sediment. your the only one to reply to this, so I guess nobody else uses their coffee maker to make tea/Ice-Tea. The coffee makers right there on the counter as you can see by the size of it I don't move it much, although I did just cleaned my kitchen. LOL. I had all kinds of things stacked around it and on top of the steamer.

The object sitting next to the coffee maker is a " Lincoln Foodservice Fresh-O-Matic Electric Countertop Steamer " these are used mainly in sandwich delis. The product to be heated is put in the tray then the lid is closed and you pump the handle, each time the handle is pumped it shoots water into the heating head and comes out instant hot steam and I do mean hot. Have you ever had a hot pastrami on rye? works great for re-eating meats, or anything else you want to steam such as fish. You can see in the picture where the holes come out of the tray, which coincide with the holes coming out of the heating unit itself. They make the special aluminum trays just for that steamer that I have in the third picture. I have other restaurant equipment such as a Star® aluminum grooved Panini press,and a Univex ten inch medium duty slicer. I only use these items when I have company or entertaining. but do occasionally use them just for myself, when I want to make a good sandwich.

Just cleaned the kitchen yesterday. That's way haven't seen any pictures from that corner of my kitchen. LOL...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't squeeze the tea bags so I don't have much sediment in my tea. When the tea is done, I just fish out the tea bags. I find if you squeeze the tea bags it not only makes your tea foggy but it also makes it bitter.

Having all of those restaurant toys must be a lot of fun!

Guts

I don't squeeze the tea bags so I don't have much sediment in my tea. When the tea is done, I just fish out the tea bags. I find if you squeeze the tea bags it not only makes your tea foggy but it also makes it bitter.

Having all of those restaurant toys must be a lot of fun!

I never squeeze the bags either . Just remove them from the bottle. When I made Sun Tea there is always sediment in the bottle, and you had to watch this. As you poured the last of it out.

My mother had a deli back in the early 70s and about 10 years ago. I thought I wanted to open up a sandwich shop. Then I remembered my restaurant years and decided against it.

Improv Cook

Since I am violently opposed to instant tea, they dare call it tea, I usually just heat about a 1/2 gal water on the stove and add tea bags. I like it on the strong side so I figure one bag per 8 oz water. You're going to add ice. Ice waters it down so you need a little extra. If you like loose tea but don't like having to strain it, tie the loose tea up in some cheese cloth. It makes one giant tea bag. For a good flavor variation,
add some orange or lemon peel to the water while steeping.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I drink sun tea at work all the time now. Before I go home, I take a really large Sports bottle, put in a green tea bag and a fruity one, one packet of sugar, and enough warm water to cover them. I go to the bathroom or do something else, then add enough cold water to fill up the container & then pop it into the fridge overnight.

The next day, it's ready to drink. I never fool with a coffee maker or a lot of hot water; it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Guts

I got my teabags already to go in the morning I'm going to make a gallon in my coffee maker and have hot tea for breakfast in my nine o'clock. It will of cooled enough to go in the refrigerator for Ice-T at noon.

I was inspired to make this thread when I found a Mr. Coffee iced tea maker in my closet that I've never used. I tried it. What a piece of junk water leaked all over the place just not worth the hassle I did the same thing as a coffee maker but it was supposed to be a Ice-T maker. From then on I started making my tea coffee maker. That was the reason for making this post just convenience and you don't have to buy one of those piece of junk ice tea makers. Some mornings I prefer tea instead of coffee. Especially when the weather warms up for some reason I like to drink tea in the morning instead of coffee and then I put the rest in the refrigerator to get cold. To have for Ice-T later that day. I've made sun tea for years but you have to put it outside in the sun and it takes a little while. It's not instant this way of making tea you can pour over ice immediately if you so desire. Just a quick way of making Ice-T. That's all I was suggesting with this post.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sheesh!
What a cool idea! :wow::thumb:

Hey Guts, my sister disliked her Mr. Coffee Iced Tea maker after about a month. LOL
She wanted it so badly then decided it wasn't such a neat gadget after all.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I drink sun tea at work all the time now. Before I go home, I take a really large Sports bottle, put in a green tea bag and a fruity one, one packet of sugar, and enough warm water to cover them. I go to the bathroom or do something else, then add enough cold water to fill up the container & then pop it into the fridge overnight.

The next day, it's ready to drink. I never fool with a coffee maker or a lot of hot water; it doesn't seem to be necessary.
Tea will brew even if you put cold tap water in the container with the tea bags for a couple of hours.
Try it.

Mr. Green Jeans

I prefer sun tea but living in western Oregon that's about 60 opportunities a year LOL! One f the garden centers I used to call on had a tea and book shop as part of their retail operation. DW loves good tea so I patronized my client. The young lady at the counter gave me a lesson on proper tea brewing. One thing that stood out was that the ideal water temp for brewing was 180 -190 degrees. Anything hotter made teas bitter especially green tea.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I keep a gallon jug of iced tea (unsweetened) in the fridge year round. I simply take hot tap water, hang 4 regular size tea bags in the jug, and in about 30 minutes I have tea. Into the fridge to cool down and I'm good for about 4-5 days. If I want stronger tea I just leave the bags in the jug until it's empty. As long as they are wet they will leech flavor.

P1030757.jpg