Anyone else trim their baby backs?

High Cheese

Saucier
I meant to mention this the last few times I made some ribs. I never really liked the end of a rack of baby backs with that thick flap of meat, so one day I decided to trim it off. I always ate those few ribs with that flap of meat last because of the funky taste and texture. Right under this piece of flesh is a thick fat layer, then some silver skin, then the actual meat atached to the ribs themselves. The part I'm talking about is on the side with she shorter more arched bones and usually covers about 4-5 ribs.
Anyone else trim this off? I still cook it, but use it as a snack or treat for the dog.

Love2"Q"

i trim it if it is fatty which it tends to be lately ..
i usually cook it for beans or to munch on ...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I always do including the membrane on the back of them. I do it will all ribs be baby backs, pork or beef ribs regardless but then I buy mine roughly butchered and finish them myself. I do basically the same with all meat in that I cut my own steaks for the most part as well since I tend buy pork and beef in large pieces up to halves at a time. I also get all my meats aged for a minimum of 3 months as well. I really love the quality of the meats I've gotten since I found my current supplier, a local grower. I also buy in bulk due to they only butcher a couple of times a year so I have a large box freezer to store it in and use as needed.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You know Vera made me think a moment about what else this title tread could mean. None of my kids had hairy enough backs that needed trimming. :mrgreen:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, joe!

You been hanging around BT too long! :clap:

I don't trim babybacks, other than removing the membrane.

Now spares, I trim to St. Louis style and most recently, have been cutting the slabs and trimming in half to better fit in racks.

Lee

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I always remove the silver skin and I trim mine no matter whether they are baby backs or spare ribs.