f76ef23d62ac4591a6ad91c4e7b12936--lol-funny-funny-dogs.jpg

funny-dog-memes-dog-steal-everything.jpg

has15-toys-only-wants-the-one-under-the-bed-5109455.png

d425550f4995652ba8cac6ffd5172380--puppy-cake-puppy-cupcakes.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a friend who owns a Husky and she contends that the breed has more "dorky" behavior than most others.

Based on many of the Husky photos and videos I've seen on the internet, she may be right!

Love that first photo!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Huskies are labeled "high energy" - they are either ON - at 250%, or OFF. not much in between....

our vet suggested at minimum once a week: "run 'em til they drop" - in her experience if they don't get to burn off that kind of energy their behavior tends to get a bit "odd"

the yard is fenced, so he can run - but this is what happens when you get back from "the big boy dog park"

Attachments

• DSC_5350.jpg
    DSC_5350.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 84

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
We had a half husky, half gold retriever named Keena. She was a little over 90 pounds and strong as an ox. She walked me and our daughter, not vice versa. Daddy had to take her on walks. She got into all kinds of mischief up until her late middle age. She "ate" the arm off 1 of our couches while we were out 1 day. To be fair, we'd been kind of busy and not paying her as much attention as usual for the past week or so prior. We had to be really careful about leaving dirty dishes in the sink, because she'd pull out the wooden spoons and plastic/rubber spatulas and eat them. She had more than 1 steak sickle or ground beef sickle. We had a peninsula with a circular bar at the end to eat at in our kitchen back then and you had to put anything you were thawing on the counter exactly in the middle so that she couldn't reach it, sometimes we were a little off.... Fortunately, she apparently wasn't attracted to frozen chicken or pork. However, she did help herself to our smothered chicken dinner that was STILL COOKING on the stove a couple of times, bones and all. Once, she graciously left exactly 1 piece for the 3 humans in the house, not each, 1 piece. She learned how to open doors and helped herself to our daughter's halloween candy 1 year, even somehow unwrapped a good bit of it before she ate it. I know it wasn't DD because she was old enough then (last year she went actually) not to eat it all like that and she had been at school and I brought her home. She also managed to get into DD's bathroom and helped herself to an expensive bottle of perfume. Took off the atomizer and left it and the empty bottle laying on the staircase. We don't know if she drank the perfume or if it just evaporated. The dog apparently had a cast iron stomach and digestive tract. She did eventually develop colitis though, had 1 really bad episode where she had to stay at the vet's, but then I figured out the warning signs and would head off attacks. Of course, we had gotten very good at preventing her "tricks" by then so she also wasn't getting as many non-food items.

She also figured out how to open the fence in the back yard with that big ole pokey nose and would go for walkabouts. We fixed that, so she figured out she could just push her way through the fence by pushing that big head against the bottom and loosening it up enough to just go on through. She generally took the pugs along with her on her walkabouts. Daddy had to attach those big railroad tie type boards to the bottom of the fence, plus drill holes in them to pound in rebar and stake them to the ground to stop that.

We had a lake behind our house. One day, daddy decided to take off his shirt and jump in the lake to cool off because he had been outside working and was hot and sweaty. He decided to "play" with her by pretending to drown and calling for help. Well, she did a great impression of Rin-Tin-Tin by running up to the lake and jumping in to swim out to "help" daddy, until she realized what she'd done and couldn't figure out what to do next. She'd never been swimming before, just playing in a little kiddie pool. Well, daddy always meant safety and comfort and, even at 90 pounds, she was a lap dog; so, what was next in her mind was daddy would save her. She then proceeded to climb on top of his head. Let's just say it was a VERY good thing that daddy was an extremely strong man and swimmer, and he ended up REALLY regretting the whole thing, but most especially taking his shirt off. Big dog, big toenails and scrambling to try and climb up on top of him and keep above the water.....

Anybody remember Pumbaa from the Lion King? She was so much like him. Always had a happy looking face and manner, even trotted around like him. We took DD and one of her friends to the Miami Zoo when they opened the African exhibit and we were standing there watching the warthogs when 1 of them started trotting toward us. We all turned to look at each other and just busted out laughing because it was just like Keena and Pumbaa.

She was 1 of the best dogs we've ever had. She'd get into mischief at times but pretty much was a really good girl otherwise. She lived to a ripe old age of 12-1/2, which is pretty darn good for a dog that size, and was in pretty good health, other than arthritis and weakness in her back legs/hips the last couple of years where she had to be helped up the stairs with a towel underneath her belly and be boosted up on the couch.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, great post, Karen!

Do you have any pictures of her that you can post?

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a great story. Brought quite a few smiles to my face. She was a very smart girl, and sounds like a lot of fun. Great memories. :D

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Unfortunately, I've only got a couple on the computer and the pictures are all over at our daughter's house on the other coast, but I did find these. She was around before most people were using digital media. The tent was our oldest GDs who is 15 now. They were good buddies when GD was a toddler. The other is from a movie where she's getting ready to shake the pugs so hard the tug blurs. These pugs were our older set of pugs when they were only 2-3 years old.

Attachments

• keena tent.jpg
    keena tent.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 69
  • cleo samp keena tug 1.jpg
    cleo samp keena tug 1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 66