1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons bacon grease
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon freshly minced parsley
1/2 pound ham, diced
Croutons for garnish

Directions:

Pick over lentils, removing any grit. Place in stockpot; add stock, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, nutmeg, hot pepper sauce, caraway and celery salt. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add water as needed, up to 2 quarts, to retain soupy texture. Stir in carrots, celery and onion and cook 10 minutes more.

Meanwhile, in separate saucepan, combine bacon grease and flour. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until just browned, to make roux. Add roux to soup, little by little, until soup has consistency of gravy. Add parsley and ham, simmer 5 minutes more to heat through. Serve hot, garnished with croutons.

I used olive oil, instead of bacon fat, to make my roux, I doubled the carrots and used powdered ham stock for my base. The soup came out a little buttery and somewhat bland.

I've used the powdered ham stock for pea soup base and it turns out delicious!

What can I add to, or change in, this recipe to make it a tad more delectable?

Aside from my changes, it seems that the garlic proportion is a little on the light side, yes?

Any suggestions y'all could offer would be most welcome.:biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Roux gets the brunt of its flavor from the browning. Since you are cooking your roux in a separate skillet, you have all the time in the world to make it your way, which is great!

Technically, using the bacon or even chicken skin is the best route, but you may have reasons not to.

Cook the roux a bit longer till it turns just a shade darker than coffee with cream. The longer you cook and stir the roux, the darker it gets. Cook it for a long time, and it gets dark reddish and is sometimes called a brick or just “black roux”. Naturally, any spice you add to the roux as it cooks (such as salt or cracked pepper) is intensified in flavor.

For extra flavor, put a bay leaf in the roux as you are working and browning it. That will add an intensified bay leaf flavor. Just take that bay leaf (the roux bay leaf) out before adding the roux to the soup. Right when the roux is done, you might consider adding a small splash of soy. It will hiss and scream when you add it, but keep stirring the roux till it quiets. The soy addition will add saltiness and a subtle depth of flavor.

IamSam

Thanks for the advice, K. The roux was about the color of medium caramel when I added it to the soup. I'm thinkin' a touch of oregano to that next time, and it'll be irrestible!:respect:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
All of what Keltin said regarding flavours and intensities of roux is correct. One thing not mentioned is that the longer a roux cooks, the thickening ability is decreased. Take it to that very dark chocolate colour and it won't thicken the soup all that much.

Seems plenty of herbs and spices were called for, just in real small amounts. Try increasing those already called for.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I never cooked my Roux to the brown stage. I didn't know that the thickening ability decreased the longer that you cooked it. Thank you.

IamSam

Vielen dank zum alle fur die auskunft!

(Thanks everyone for the suggestions!)

Well, it is German Lentil Soup, right?:mrgreen: