What to do with Fillo Dough?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve said it before: I’m no baker!! :lol:

Ok, so what in the world do you do with Fillo dough?

At Thanksgiving, DW and I wanted to make those mini-pot pies. DW remembered that the cook on the show we watched used a pre-packaged dough. So she went to the store and got Fillo dough. A box with two packs/sheets in it.

I opened the first pack and was floored! What IS this stuff? It’s dry, thin enough to see through, not pliable, has tons of "layers", and was not what we needed.

We needed PUFF PASTRY! :pat:

Figured that one out after seeing what Fillo dough is! We ended up just using canned biscuit dough and it worked well.

But, I still have a pack/sheet of that Fillo Dough in the freezer.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do with this stuff?

Deelady

Greek Spinach pies!!! (spanakopita)

Baklava for the holidays

Cheese triangles

Cigar rolls stuffed with lamb

you can cut them into squares andline muffin tins with them and put desired filling in the center then bake.

Key is to make sure you brush with melted butter every couple of layers for a golden flakey crust....

I have tons more if you want and recipes to go for each!! :) :)

I’ve said it before: I’m no baker!! :lol:

Ok, so what in the world do you do with Fillo dough?

At Thanksgiving, DW and I wanted to make those mini-pot pies. DW remembered that the cook on the show we watched used a pre-packaged dough. So she went to the store and got Fillo dough. A box with two packs/sheets in it.

I opened the first pack and was floored! What IS this stuff? It’s dry, thin enough to see through, not pliable, has tons of "layers", and was not what we needed.

We needed PUFF PASTRY! :pat:

Figured that one out after seeing what Fillo dough is! We ended up just using canned biscuit dough and it worked well.

But, I still have a pack/sheet of that Fillo Dough in the freezer.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do with this stuff?

Here's a recipe similar to my Greek Cigars w/ yogurt dipping sauce (I mentioned to Phreak a few days ago), for an appetizer. Here's the step-by-step for the filo:

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Food/Tools-Tips/How-to-Make-Greek-Cigars.html

I tweeked the recipe a bit from this one:

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Greek-Cigars-Recipe

Burek - you can fill them with feta, spinach etc.

http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/maincourses/r/cheeseburek.htm

Check out Athens Phyllo dough site. There are lots of yummy ideas & recipes.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome ideas everyone!! Those "cigars" are really intriguing. I think I might give that a whirl. Thank you!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Baklava is the first thing I think of, too. I can't remember - did you post a recipe a while back, LilyLove?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We made a chicken & apricot pie once. You could also use it for wrapped things like purses, deep fried won tons, samosas etc.

As has been said, brush each layer with melted butter - also keep the layers you have yet to use damp - keep it under a damp tea towel.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I watched an episode of Ready, Steady, Cook whilst living in the UK.
There was a guest cook on the show at the time and she made a simple layered cheese, egg and cracked pepper dish using phyllo dough.
I remember making it, and it was fantastic.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
What are those wonderful things you make with chocolate, like a tart using phyllo?
GRRRRRRRRR can't think of the name, starts with a V. lol

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
One of the cookies I have yet to make (doing it today, actually) is a mini baklava tartlet. You need mini tart shells, walnuts, butter, cinnamon, honey.

GotGarlic

Greek Spinach pies!!! (spanakopita)

Baklava for the holidays

Cheese triangles

Cigar rolls stuffed with lamb

you can cut them into squares andline muffin tins with them and put desired filling in the center then bake.

Key is to make sure you brush with melted butter every couple of layers for a golden flakey crust....

I have tons more if you want and recipes to go for each!! :) :)

Deelady is absolutely correct - go Middle Eastern with the phyllo dough! It's time-consuming, though. You have to keep a pile of phyllo sheets covered with a damp towel to keep them from drying out while you work with them. Lay a sheet on a large cutting board or the counter, brush with melted butter, lay a sheet on top of that, brush with melted butter, lather, rinse, repeat. Then cut into shapes, fill and bake. Great stuff :smile:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I think I may have posted both of these before, but I'm not sure. Ilove to wrap things in phyllo.

Chicken Struedel

Brie in Phyllo appetizers

Attachments

• Chick strudel 3 - Copy.jpg
    Chick strudel 3 - Copy.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 265
  • brie in phyllo (16).jpg
    brie in phyllo (16).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 269
While I've yet to make it myself, a fancy Greek restaurant we used to frequent back in NY used to make a fabulous dish wrapping thick boneless/skinless center-cut salmon filets in phylo pastry. It was to die for.

The only way I've personally used it has been to make my grandmother's "Spanokopita", which she always did "strudel" style.

lesley

I too may have posted this before, memory's gone on holiday! :bonk:

Apple and Cinnamon Swirl

banitsa-custard-1.jpg

Serves 4
Prep Time 5 mins
Cooking Time 30 mins
Ingredients

7 Braeburn apples, approx 144g
3 Tsp melted low fat butter (I can’t believe it’s not butter)
3 Dessert spoons granulated sugar
7 Tsp honey
1 Pkt/200g ready rolled filo pastry sheets
3-4 Tsp ground cinnamon
1 Dessert spoon icing sugar for dusting
Method

Peel and core the apples
Chop into small pieces ½ inch/1.2cm
Transfer chopped apples to a medium saucepan and add about ½ pint/300ml of cold water
Add 2 dst spoons of sugar
Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, until apples start to soften
Strain off liquid
Meanwhile lay out the filo pastry, putting 2 sheets together, one on top of the other, so you end up with 7 double sheets
Brush the sheets with a little melted butter, and honey
Now add 2 desserts spoons of apple in the middle of the pastry sheet, in a line
Sprinkle over the cinnamon
Roll the apple pastry sheet into tube shapes
Do this with each sheet
Lightly grease a round baking or pizza tray
Make a spiral with the 7 rolled apple pastry sheets
Brush a little melted butter on top, and sprinkle over the remaining sugar
Bake in a preheated oven 375°F/190°C/Gas mark 5 for about 30 minutes
Carefully lift out and place the apple spiral on a serving plate
Dust the icing sugar over the top

banitsa-les.jpg

Hi...All here. I have to turn in a project on a polish composer and i have to have polish food. i was going to make sweet pierogies but my mom said they would take to much time, etc. is there a recipe that is still polish, but i can use phyllo dough instead of actually making a new dough?

buckytom

Grill Master
david, you can use store-made wonton sheets to make pierogies. phyllo would be difficult to manage and i think they wouldn't have the right consistency. try to find an asian market or section of a store near you for the wonton skins.

what kind of filling are you going to put in your pierogies? i like mashed potatoes and cheese, or spinach, mushroom, and cheese.

btw, who's the composer you're featuring? chopin would be the most notable, but there are many.

Another idea? Every supermarket on the planet (& I live in the middle of nowhere) carries frozen pierogis. I've bought several different brands & have yet to find one that hasn't been delicious. Go buy how many boxes/bags you need, cook 'em up & serve them with sides of sour cream, minced chives/scallions, etc., etc.

Hi...All here. I have to turn in a project on a polish composer and i have to have polish food. i was going to make sweet pierogies but my mom said they would take to much time, etc. is there a recipe that is still polish, but i can use phyllo dough instead of actually making a new dough?

Welcome, David. How about apple strudel? Lay a sheet of phyllo down. sprinkle with melted butter and sugar and add another layer. Continue for 5-6 layers. Keep a damp cloth over the opened package of phyllo as you work. Peel, core and grate/shred the apples & squeeze the excess juice out by twisting in a clean towel. Add some melted butter and sugar & walnuts. Place the apples along the edge of the dough and roll it up. Place seam side down & bake at 350 F til golden brown.

PanchoHambre

easy good party trick... wrap a wheel of brie in it... cut the wheel in half first and smear jelly or pesto... whatever.. wrap and bake... easy and people love it and thing you worked a whole lot harder than you did.