Beef Brat & Boudin Banquet

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I ran up on some Boudin the other day (which is rare this far north of Cajun Country) and had to get it. I also had a couple of Beef Brats left from a previous cook, so I decided to make a sausage and rice type dish.

Ready for some alliteration? :lol:

I call this one:

Beef Brat & Boudin Banquet

Ingredients

2 Beef Brats, slice into medallions
3 Boudin Sausages, whole

1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
1 Medium Onion, roughly chopped
1 Medium Bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 Tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
1 Medium Bay Leaf
1 Tsp Honey

2 Cups Beef Broth
1 Tbsp Flour
2-3 Tbsp Oil

Procedure

In a large skillet over medium high heat, add some oil and brown the Beef Brat medallions. Set aside in a covered dish to keep warm.

In the same skillet, lightly brown the Boudin on all sides. Be careful since the Boudin skin is typically thin and can break or burst easily. For this, you only want a light browning over medium heat with plenty of oil (the oil keeps the skin from sticking and tearing). Once brown, set aside with the Brats to keep warm.

In the same skillet, add the onions and bell pepper and sauté for 1 minute.

Add a splash of the Beef broth (or Red Wine if you like!!) to help deglazing, and then add the mushrooms and minced garlic. Cover and let cook 5-6 minutes.

Push the veggies and mushrooms to the side of the skillet, and in the middle of the pan, add the flour. Now pour oil over the top of the flour and then stir in the middle of the pan to make a roux.

Once the roux is made and starting to color, mix all the vegetables and mushrooms into it and stir well. Now add the beef broth a little at a time, stirring after each addition.

Now add the Creole Seasoning, bay leaf, and honey. Stir well.

Next, let it cook uncovered over medium-high heat until it has reduced by 1/4.

Add the Boudin and Brat medallions back to the sauce/gravy, cover the skillet, and reduce to low heat. Allow to sit over low heat for 10 minutes to warm through.

To plate, lay down a bed of rice on a plate. Cover the rice generously with the veggies and sauce. Now place the Boudin and Brat on top, add additional sauce if desired and serve.

Attachments

• BB_S1.jpg
    BB_S1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 186
  • bb_s2.jpg
    bb_s2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 190
  • bb_s3.jpg
    bb_s3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 173
  • bb_s4.jpg
    bb_s4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 179
  • bb_s5.jpg
    bb_s5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 181
  • bb_s6.jpg
    bb_s6.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 184
  • bb_s7.jpg
    bb_s7.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 184

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OK, looks great, BUT....................

what's Boudin sausage?

It’s a sausage made from pork meat (and often pork offal), rice, and spices. It’s typically spicy hot, so DW isn’t a fan. It’s very popular in Cajun Cuisine (Louisiana – French Creole) and also in Europe. It’s hard to find this far North of the Gulf Coast, so I grab it every time its available.

Down on the Gulf Coast, you can pick this up at nearly every market. You're in Florida, so you might be able to find it there as well?

It's great smoked low and slow over pecan!

mhend

Looks delicious! Haven't had Boudin in a long time. I think the last time was my last trip to New Orleans, in fact. Fantastic, K!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I haven't had boudin in sooooo long, love it just grilled. When my brother would visit we would grill it, slice it, sprinkle a little hot sauce, and eat it on crackers as a snack while something else was cooking (nobody else would eat it :glare:). I think the brand we got was Zummo. Yours looks great to me :brows:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't know boudin was spicy, Keltin!

I've never had it, but for some reason, I thought it was very bland.

Sounds as if I should try it!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I didn't know boudin was spicy, Keltin!

I've never had it, but for some reason, I thought it was very bland.

Sounds as if I should try it!

Lee

All the Boudin I’ve had has been spicy (cayenne or crushed red pepper in the filling), and some like to go overboard with it. At it’s most basic and flavorful. What I’ve had is a mild tingle of heat on your tongue that hangs at the back of your mouth to let you know you ate it. A mild spicy caress (and even that is too much for DW).

The over the top stuff just smacks you in the face. After the first bite and you’re thinking “Wow, that has some kick”……and then it gets more intense.

But hot and spicy is addictive, and when it tastes good and isn’t hot for Hot’s sake, I’m there.

And to be honest…….I often eat the hot for Hot’s sake. It really is addictive.

Reminds me of this commercial. I LOVE this Ad. :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbPqjZw1pvE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbPqjZw1pvE[/ame]

But yeah, you should try it. Just remember that it has rice in it that causes it to be a bit loose, and if the skin breaks, it falls apart fast. Gentle smoking is one of the best ways to do it. That ensures the skin stays in tact, but you can lighlty brown it.......and if you look closely at my pics, I had a bit of a problem and the skin broke on the ends. It's a delicate sausage, usually smoked, but oh so good.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I've never had boudin, but I'm sure I would like it. One of my favorite writers is James Lee Burke, and since his novels take place in Louisiana, he often refers to boudin...like SS, I didn't know what it was. Nice plate, Keltin - I would love to help you gobble it up!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That looks really good Keltin and the pictures are magazine quality...especially the last two.