St. Pat's Day Plans?

Calicolady

Do any family here do St. Pat's Day up BIG?
Green beer, bagpipes, kilts and all?
I guess, as it falls midweek, this is the weekend for celebrating.

Any good recipes-post in appropriate catagory.

Irish soda bread TNT recipes would be nice. (hint, hint)

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We have a big tradition for St. Pat's day, since it is big in Chicago....

WE HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then come out days later to clean it all up!

Calicolady

This is a local event every year, but I've never been
#1 - I hate cooked cabbage
#2 - All the ammature partiers get obnoxious
#3 - The snowbirds swarm in droves
#4 - Other than New Year's Eve, cops' 2nd fav. night.

Feb-image.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Do any family here do St. Pat's Day up BIG?
Green beer, bagpipes, kilts and all?
I guess, as it falls midweek, this is the weekend for celebrating.

Any good recipes-post in appropriate catagory.

Irish soda bread TNT recipes would be nice. (hint, hint)

Since I frequently wear women's clothes anyway, a kilt is really no big deal.:ohmy: Hey, to each his own. (Care to show us what you're hiding in your bedroom drawers that you don't want the kiddies or MIL to see??? He, he, he, he, he, he....LMAO)

Actually, I'm taking my Slovenian ass to work, and the 1/2 Irish Lass I'm married to (nee Gibbons) will do the same. We're both self employed and no work means no pay. Besides, she hates cooked cabbage and does not like corned beef either, so we know what will NOT be on the menu for dinner that night. If she don't like it, we don't see it in our house.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
New York has a big parade. Can get a bit rowdy, Iusually stay away from it.

I was i Chicago for a trade show once. My co worker got looked at a bit funny when we were checking in to the hotel. The desk clerk told us that they dyed the river green for Se. Par's Day. He responded with, how can you tell the difference? Didn;t win him any points.

A nearby Patrson, NJ bar does it up really big, they put tents up in the parking lot and all. It is a kind of a biker bar and you can see quite an array of bikes.

We are doing Corned beef & cabbage in beer.

AC

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to head into Boston after work and stand in line for a couple of hours, pay a hefty cover charge, to sing and dance to Irish music in an inch of beer on the floor, and stand in line for the ladies' room half the night. Then take a vacation day from work the next day, to curl up in a ball in my dark bedroom. Good times, good times.

A TON of people around here take a half day off on St. Pat's Day and start early, so after about 1 p.m., you cannot get a seat at the bar.

I'm not up for all that anymore, so I might have a couple of Black and Tans with some friends at a new tavern in my town on Sunday. I'll stick a shiny shamrock on my cheek, to be festive. :lucky:

I'll definitely be buying up some corned beef but freezing it to smoke for pastrami later in the season.

Thing is, I really do like this "holiday", and I decorate my house and get in the spirit. I wish I still had the stamina and the vacation time to do it the way I used to! :alc:

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I am invited to the 30th anniversary of a law firm's fancy shmancy St. Patrick's Day party that is a catered affair, has a dignitary from Ireland speaking, and a bunch of little girls in costumes step dancing. However, I don't think that I shall make the party this year. I usually go--it is the big party of the legal community and everybody who is anybody gets invited (why me--it is a long story) but this year, I am not in the mood.

PanchoHambre

I'm with Cal

Too many a'holes in green.... w/ faux Irish Pride

I am 1/2 Irish-Descent... I am proud of my heritage. I do not need to wear green mardi-gras beads and a green plastic top hat as evidence

I would have probably gone to a local bar but it's a Tues so I cant get plastered and drag myself to work and my neighborhood drinking buddy will be out of town anyway.

The Irish pride in my hood gets a bit rowdy too... lots of houses are adorned with shamrocks year round (one of my neighbors actually has a year round shamrock spotlight on their side wall) and there are lots of shamrock tattoos on peoples necks don't really want to deal with the rough Kenzo crowd on a weeknight. The bars in Town will be full of jerks from the suburbs who are intolerable on regular nights and college kids so I think I will stay put.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm working, then home for some corned beef, cabbage, and boiled spuds.

i've been to "the" parade many times, and then to my regular ol' pubs on 57th street where it's "so packed you can't even turn a sweet in your mouth from cheek to cheek".

but i must be getting old. i have no need nor wish to get beer spilled on, be told lot's of false promises, get too many weird hugs, all while avoiding piles of puke and breaking up a fight or two.

ahhh, the good ol' days.

you know, you should never try to stop a fistfight between two irish brothers. they'l both stop and turn on you together, lol.:huh:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
eh, st. patrick's day--just a bunch of amateur drinkers or so I have heard it been described. lol

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I try not to go out, too dangerous. There's usually a parade downtown Seattle but I've never gone, just see it on TV. I try to make some type of celebration of it at home since I'm the only Irish one - my husband is purebred Italian and it's REALLY HARD for him to eat corned beef & cabbage but he will.....for me :)

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, rickismom. from the sopranos, the definition of hell to italians is to be playing poker in an irish pub on st. patrick's day, and losing every hand.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to try Corn Beef and cabage in my new pressure cooker. I have a second one just in case it doesn't work out.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It's really funny - we have a minuscule Irish population here but we sure enjoy St. Patty's Day. We dye the river green and all the bars on the River Walk serve green beer and everyone wears all sorts of silly green things.

I remember going into Boston for the celebrations too, Lee. Now Boston really celebrates St. Patrick's Day - hell, I even felt Irish in Boston!

suziquzie

I have to work 10-3, DH will still be on overnights..... so...
maybe I will make the kids some bagel pizzas on green bagels again, and I'll make corned beef, cabbage and potatoes on friday or saturday when we're all coherent at the same time.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I'm going to try Corn Beef and cabage in my new pressure cooker. I have a second one just in case it doesn't work out.

OH, it's great in the pressure cooker! That's the only way to do it. Throw in the carrots, cabbage, onions and taters and within 35 minutes, there's dinner! :chef:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Post a recipe in the new forum on them richkismom, please. I just got it and need some help with it.

Calicolady

I try not to go out, too dangerous. There's usually a parade downtown Seattle but I've never gone, just see it on TV. I try to make some type of celebration of it at home since I'm the only Irish one - my husband is purebred Italian and it's REALLY HARD for him to eat corned beef & cabbage but he will.....for me :)

LOL! Maybe it would help him if you told him St. Pat was italian.
He was, ya know.

lilylove

If you go down the the forum jump... you'll see that a slow cooker/pressure cooker recipes catogory has been added.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
We'll be heading north from Virginia, back home:motorcycle: So I'll miss all the festivities.

Best St. Patrick's Day was in New Orleans....caught one of the parades as it passed in front of Palm Court... In addition to tossing beads at people, they threw carrots, cabbage leaves, potatoes, pickles....and I even got a pee pee monkey!

babe

don't do any special for this holiday. we have corned beef and cabbage year round. so don't feel the need. italian heritage here.