Memorial Day Menu/Plans/Recipes?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou and I are hoping to get one last trip down the shore, including a long bike ride along the ocean this weekend. About the only thing I can cook this weekend is something I can grill that requires no kitchen prep. I only have the silverware left at this point. I'm thinking of grilling sausages and peppers.

mhend

If we have a family get-together, I will be bringing my potato salad. It's requested for every family meal. I've made it so much that I don't really even like to eat it anymore. :)

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm hoping to take friday off and put up the ool in the backyard.

also, since the masons we've gotten estimates from for rebuilding the retaining wall on the back of my property are smoking something ($5K for a 40' by 3' wall?), i'm just going to jerry-rig something to sure it up, and finally put in my veggie garden.

i bought tomatoes (roma, grape, early girl, and best boy), peppers (thai dragon, hot cherry, hungarian hot wax, portugal, and juniper), eggplants (little finger and black classic), burpless cucumbers, citronella geraniums, and stevia plants.

then i have to work 11pm friday to 4pm saturday.

dw's going for a scalping sunday morning, so the boy and i will finish whatever i didn't complete in the garden, and also spread some mulch around the bushes in front, and the roses and hydrangeas in back.

also, we have to transplant a hydrangea and some raspberry canes to a sunnier spot.

back to work sunday night for a midnight shift, then if i'm still alive by monday afternoon, we'll shoot off some fireworks, swim, and grill in the backyard. i'm hoping to not have to kill the little bastids next door at any point this weekend. they're getting really iritating. i'm tired of listening to whining in turkish, polish, and albanian.

i really need to move to america.

Sounds like you have a jam-packed weekend ahead. Hope you get to have some R&R.

The pool has been taped off like a crime scene, while it's being demoed/restored. Hope it's done soon. I would like to get some painting done around here; and may check around for wooden blinds or (plantation) shutters. Haven't decided what I want yet. The freezer is packed, but I'm in the mood for ribs. May check out the seafood aisles closer to the end of the week. Have fun planting, etc.

Lefty

Yank
I am on the side board of directors for Memorial Day. I work the parade traffic to keep people safe. I usually drive a car for the Legion, but this year I will only do traffic. My wife is driving in the parade. I will get back home and start the Q, burgers, dogs, chops, steaks. I am also making a mac salad that would be considered a meal by it self with a whole pound of bacon and a dozen hard boiled eggs. Bean hole beans in a pit next door. (My neighbor promisses step by step with pictures.) He has also threatened to join this site and talk smack about baseball (RedSucks fan) :yum:

Tuesday off as part of a 5 day weekend, with some fresh water fishing/kayaking to round things out.

Any one up for a trip to Vacationland?

Mmmmm! BACON! I want some of your mac salad, Lefty. I'll pass on the eggs & baseball talk though ;-). Go Lakers. Haha. Sounds like fun!:bounce:

buckytom

Grill Master
and that's the way it's gonna stay, ss!

i tell the kids the old lifeguard tale that i've put an invisible dye in the water that turns purple if they pee. so everyone will know that they're a disgusting little beast if they are standing in a purple cloud.

buckytom

Grill Master
update on monday's menu: lobsters are on sale for$6/lb, and mussles and clams are on sale as well, so we'll have some steamed monsters either sunday or monday.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here's something that we've never tried, but they're going on the grill for Memorial Day along with something else. I want ribs, but I don't always get what I want :wink:.

Hubby came home with these. He won't admit it, but I think he wasn't paying attention and thought they were bratwurst :yum:. They look pretty close to brats though.

IMG_2093.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If we have a family get-together, I will be bringing my potato salad. It's requested for every family meal. I've made it so much that I don't really even like to eat it anymore. :)

I would love to hear more about your potato salad, mhend. You don't have to post a recipe with specifics if you don't want to. A lot of us just give ingredients/methods as some of us aren't into measuring on dishes that we've made time and time again.