Diabetic Cookbooks

Leni

My DH has recently been diagnosed. Do any of you have a favorite cookbook for diabetics. I know that they are available but I'd like to get one that has been tried.

Bells

My DH has recently been diagnosed. Do any of you have a favorite cookbook for diabetics. I know that they are available but I'd like to get one that has been tried.
Good evening! I'm sorry to hear this but I hope he is taking it well and has a positive attitude. If you have the internet, I wouldn't bother spending money on cookbooks. You'll find tons of recipes, tips and ideas online. Here is just a sample of one. http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/easy_diabetes_recipes

I would be encouraging him to reverse it. It can be done with a change in lifestyle, weight loss and exercise. I know several people that have done this.

I wish him the best.:)

Leni

Losing weight will change a lot for him. He was up to 311 and is now down to 250. I bought him a top of the line treadmill for his birthday and he is still using it several months later. He wants to lose another 20 or 30 pounds. He's slipped a little but he's now back on track. Thanks for the info. :chef:

Bells

Losing weight will change a lot for him. He was up to 311 and is now down to 250. I bought him a top of the line treadmill for his birthday and he is still using it several months later. He wants to lose another 20 or 30 pounds. He's slipped a little but he's now back on track. Thanks for the info. :chef:
Good for him! That is the right attitude to have. We all slip up sometimes but getting back on track again is the main thing. Are you the main cook in your house?

Leni

Oh yes, and I love to cook and BBQ. We grow most of our own fruits and veggies. I prefer simple and healthy. Most of time I'll use a flavored vinegar instead of a regular salad dressing such as balsamic. I haven't baked pastries for a long time because he'll eat it. I think that it finally got across to him today that his snacks before dinner are a no no based on what he was eating. We had a diabetics class today at Kaiser. Almost 3 1/2 hours and free. Kaiser has gotten very proactive in the last couple of years. Anything that is considered preventative medicine is free including a complete physical and mamograms.

Bells

Oh yes, and I love to cook and BBQ. We grow most of our own fruits and veggies. I prefer simple and healthy. Most of time I'll use a flavored vinegar instead of a regular salad dressing such as balsamic. I haven't baked pastries for a long time because he'll eat it. I think that it finally got across to him today that his snacks before dinner are a no no based on what he was eating. We had a diabetics class today at Kaiser. Almost 3 1/2 hours and free. Kaiser has gotten very proactive in the last couple of years. Anything that is considered preventative medicine is free including a complete physical and mamograms.
That is absolutely super! I'm really glad he has someone like you. It is so good that you are taking those classes also. Keep learning everything you can. You are sure to have a very positive affect on him.

Leni

I sure hope so. He will turn 74 in May and I turned 70 at the end of January. I have no desire to live without him for any length of time. We've been married for 48 years.

Bells

I sure hope so. He will turn 74 in May and I turned 70 at the end of January. I have no desire to live without him for any length of time. We've been married for 48 years.
That is so sweet that you brought tears to my eyes.

A few weeks ago, my mother found herself suddenly alone for the first time. She has been doing okay. I am an only child and the grief has been horrible but I know I have to be strong for her.

Leni

I'm so sorry to hear that. It seems to take about a year before things get back on track although she'll never really get over his loss. At least that's the way it was for my mother and her friends who lost their spouses. I was in much the same situation as you because my sister lives just outside Kansas City. All I can say is hang tough and try to be with her as much as you can.

Bells

I'm so sorry to hear that. It seems to take about a year before things get back on track although she'll never really get over his loss. At least that's the way it was for my mother and her friends who lost their spouses. I was in much the same situation as you because my sister lives just outside Kansas City. All I can say is hang tough and try to be with her as much as you can.
I will Leni. I'm not far away.:)

I wanted to mention aquatics. A few months ago I was picking up a friend at an indoor pool centre and had some time to wait. I noticed in the other end of the pool there was a group of people having fun. Turns out they were diabetics and pre-diabetics exercising. I thought it was awesome. I know so many have foot problems that make exercise difficult and one woman was actually missing a foot but that didn't bother her. It's a great way to get in some activity during the hot weather. It was also an outing. I googled it and found some YMCA's do have a program. I don't know where you live but there may be one in your area. Here is a description of one but any pool will do. http://www.ymcatwincities.org/health__fitness/wellness_programs/diabetes_prevention/

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Losing weight will change a lot for him.

This is a major biggie. I am glad to see that he is going in the right direction. I went in to have my Thyroid checked only to be told that I had Type II. I lost 65# (270 - 205).

My sugar is back to normal.
My cholesterol is normal.
My Thyroid meds were reduced instead of increased.
My cholesterol meds were reduced.
MY BP is so under control that I do not need to be checked up for a year instead of 6 months.
I am feeling so much better that it is eye opening.

It just seems to me that the medical profession and the drug companies might be medicating instead of treating. I was never told by any doctor that loosing weight would do that much for me until it got to be diabetes. Even then the doctor was flat out amazed at my progress. It was so great to hear him say "You have cured your diabetes".

I cannot help with the cookbooks. I just switched what and how I eat. I use veggies (carrots, celery, peppers, etc) for snacks. I keep steamed veggies in the fridge and snack on them as well. Often times I have a protein (Slice of lean meat, which I also keep on hand) for a snack.

I have gone to using seasonings for flavor instead of "fat is flavor". I do fall off the wagon, sometimes big time. When that happens, I just have to pick myself up and redouble my efforts.

My goal now is to hopefully reduce BP meds. I am thinking that will involve some better stress management. That will be a biggie as that is how I got here in the first place.

Sorry to be on a soapbox. I hope some of what I said helps.

Andy