What's Cooking NCT Sun. 1/27/2013 to Sat. 2/2/2013

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Heading out in the morning for a weekend of "Grown men behaving poorly." It's the annual Winter Hike for the Old Farts Patrol, and I made all the breads today for the weekend. this should hold over 13 guys for a couple of days of "Carbo Loading." :shock:

DSC_0197_zpsb5c6bad6.jpg

DinnerRolls_zps1836c67d.jpg

ItalianBrea_zps3e1d34ec.jpg

While all that was baking, I cheated on dinner and made a "kid friendly" meal of tube steaks, macaroni salad and steamed broccoli. OK, maybe not kid friendly, but wifey was happy. :lol:

Dinner013113-2_zps69e3de29.jpg

Dinner013113-1_zpsb1a24424.jpg

Embryodad

Heading out in the morning for a weekend of "Grown men behaving poorly." It's the annual Winter Hike for the Old Farts Patrol, and I made all the breads today for the weekend. this should hold over 13 guys for a couple of days of "Carbo Loading." :shock:

DSC_0197_zpsb5c6bad6.jpg

DinnerRolls_zps1836c67d.jpg

ItalianBrea_zps3e1d34ec.jpg

While all that was baking, I cheated on dinner and made a "kid friendly" meal of tube steaks, macaroni salad and steamed broccoli. OK, maybe not kid friendly, but wifey was happy. :lol:

Dinner013113-2_zps69e3de29.jpg

Dinner013113-1_zpsb1a24424.jpg
Looks awesome Joe!

Do you have a Bread Slicing machine? Those slices are so perfectly sliced in thickness!!

Looks Like Zorro Visited those weiners. Z/..Z/..Z/..Z/..Z/.. LOL

Have a Great Trip, and Eat s!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Had THIS this evening. Kidney beans with ham over brown rice.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 124
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 132

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm, I've never roasted broccoli, Mama.

But I will try it now!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looks awesome Joe!

Do you have a Bread Slicing machine? Those slices are so perfectly sliced in thickness!!

Looks Like Zorro Visited those weiners. Z/..Z/..Z/..Z/..Z/.. LOL

Have a Great Trip, and Eat s!
I use an electric knife with a bread blade. I WISH I had a bread slicer, but they're too darn expensive for the small amount of use it would get. Used machines are around $600 to $800+.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanx, Bells! Looks like BAKED kidney beans.

I always like to do them in the pressure cooker, mainly because it helps save time and it eliminates having to soak them!:cooking:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hmmmm, I've never roasted broccoli, Mama.

But I will try it now!

Lee

I usually eat broccoli as a stand-alone veggie, in soups and stews, as well as in Asian cooking, such as stir-fries. :cooking:

Embryodad

Had THIS this evening. Kidney beans with ham over brown rice.

Looks Great!

We make the onions and beans with medium shells.....

I like the Idea of your recipe of adding chips of ham.

Have to try it that way next time.

Hahhh.. I like the shells when they spoon together, and as a bonus, the ones that have a bean in their spoon. Haaa!!

Embryodad

I use an electric knife with a bread blade. I WISH I had a bread slicer, but they're too darn expensive for the small amount of use it would get. Used machines are around $600 to $800+.

Yeah! One would be nice to have, but if I remember...years back, someone made a rack that was adjustable, and it held upright fingers like a Daddo Jig...that one would just direct the electric or manual bread knife through each guide, to get a perfectly measured equal bread slice...
I think it was popiel...??? I'm gonna Googie It!:)

Here is one...... I'll bet with your expertise Joe, you could make one!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-370-Bread-Slicer-Catcher/dp/B00004UE6T/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t[/ame]

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Wow! The Thirty Oneth already! January is over ....

Tina made me (heated) Campbells Beef barley Soup. Just a quick decision made. She also made me a Grilled Cheese & Tomato.

BeefsoupCheesegrilledandcake001_zps779389bf.jpg

BeefsoupCheesegrilledandcake002_zps5a52af0d.jpg

Nothing Fancy, But warming. She had to add salt to the soup. The soup is made with less sodium today, and is F L A T Tasting.

Tina baked a Apple Pound Cake. It bubbled over a LOT and it stuck and burned to the Nordic Ware Bundt pan. Sloppy, but came out OK and smells great.

BeefsoupCheesegrilledandcake004_zps17e863f3.jpg

BeefsoupCheesegrilledandcake005_zpsd39e69b4.jpg

It was a bummer of a recipe with a Video, and Tina said the woman mixed the batter, and did NOT use all the batter in the bundt pan.
??? Like Helloooooooo??? Wha Wha What kind of move is that??/

I think it was one of those Cooks Country Websites.
If it was me....I would be right on their butt telling them to adjust the recipe or at least tell us?? How Many Cups do we throw away??
S T U P I D !!!! In my books anyway.

It all still looks good to me, Embryodad!!

Pam now has a baking spray. it has flour and oil in it to prevclude cakes and other baked goods from sticking to the pan.

I have some, and it works good for me!! Gook luck! :clap:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah! One would be nice to have, but if I remember...years back, someone made a rack that was adjustable, and it held upright fingers like a Daddo Jig...that one would just direct the electric or manual bread knife through each guide, to get a perfectly measured equal bread slice...
I think it was popiel...??? I'm gonna Googie It!:)

Here is one...... I'll bet with your expertise Joe, you could make one!

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-370-Bread-Slicer-Catcher/dp/B00004UE6T/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

my Dad got my Pap one. circa 1960/70-ish. avacado green.:mrgreen: worked until the last Thanksgiving we got to spend together, too.

Embryodad

It all still looks good to me, Embryodad!!

Pam now has a baking spray. it has flour and oil in it to prevclude cakes and other baked goods from sticking to the pan.

I have some, and it works good for me!! Gook luck! :clap:
She used that spray. Bakers Joy! with oil and flour.
It stuck because it boiled over the edges, and because the website video showed the lady throw some batter away and not add it all to the bundt pan, but Tina...not being wasteful added the batter to the tippy top of the bake pan.

Embryodad

my Dad got my Pap one. circa 1960/70-ish. avacado green.:mrgreen: worked until the last Thanksgiving we got to spend together, too.
Wow! ... Great that it is lasted that long. I love that avacado green. We had our refrigerator spray painted that color. The original color of the fridge was P I N K ! hahaha

Shermie

Site Supporter
She used that spray. Bakers Joy! with oil and flour.
It stuck because it boiled over the edges, and because the website video showed the lady throw some batter away and not add it all to the bundt pan, but Tina...not being wasteful added the batter to the tippy top of the bake pan.

Try using a 10-inch tube pan next time. It should be able to addommodate ALL of the batter.

The bundt cake pan is shorter, so it holds less batter.

Or you may try using 3 or 4 loaf pans, which should also accommodate all of the batter. :idea:

Embryodad

Try using a 10-inch tube pan next time. It should be able to addommodate ALL of the batter.

The bundt cake pan is shorter, so it holds less batter.

Or you may try using 3 or 4 loaf pans, which should also accommodate all of the batter. :idea:
Yeah! That's what she said for next time. I really didn't like the cake. it is too wet.
It's like sucking on a sponge soaked with apple juice. Uh Uh Uh Uh!

Embryodad

Beef Soup that I made Today.....

Had it with those Dreamfields Macaroni's that are Low Carb. Good!
I liked them.

I had Two Bowls of the soup with 1/2 a buttered roll.

BEEFSOUP002_zpsfd3e3851.jpg

Now I am gonna make the batter for Yeast Raised Belgian Waffles.

Tina is wishing for them for tomorrows breakfast.
I want Bacon too! Yummy!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah! That's what she said for next time. I really didn't like the cake. it is too wet.
It's like sucking on a sponge soaked with apple juice. Uh Uh Uh Uh!

Well, this idea can also be used for ANY cake batter that would be too much for a bundt pan to handle. :biggrin:

PanchoHambre

back to my roots tonight

fritatta made from leftover potatoes and chard and some nice cheese remnants love the thrifty and still indulgent fritatta

and stuffed artichoke - this is where I am lost will post separately.

PanchoHambre

tonight i am staying in i will eat leftovers but I am going to make meatballs and sauce - so it can cook in the slow cooker all night and I will have my sunday sauce ready when sunday dawns :)

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
I put a bottom round roast in the clay cooker with a pack of low sodium McCormicks brown gravy. That was around noon and I turned it over 3 times and added a little water when I put the sweet taters in at 4:30. Heated up the last of the corn and it was great. Have plenty left for hot beef sandwiches.

Attachments

• roast 004.jpg
    roast 004.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 80

Embryodad

OK! So I did a little comfort cooking for breakfast......

Yeast Raised Belgian Waffles.... with bacon strips...And whipped butter. They rocked.

wafflesandburgers001_zps9557ebf0.jpg

For supper....It was flame broiled burgers...Done on my baby Webber Propane Grill...inside the kitchen on top the stoveSimple with tomato and mayo for DW...and tomato and katchup for me x2. hahaha.

wafflesandburgers005_zps746afc78.jpg