Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > General Cooking Forum

General Cooking Forum If not sure where to start a thread, start it here.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,051 Posts
lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo
Default Stuffed Cabbage question

I've been wanting stuffed cabbage. But I hate removing the cabbage leaves and rolling them. SO I have decided to try it a different way. I will use my favorite recipe. Except after I mix up the filling I will use a 1 TBSP. Scoop/disher and form either into patties, balls or ovals. Then place them raw in the layers and continue with recipe directions.

I do have one question and need advice/opinion: Can I use uncooked Success brand rice (quick cooking rice) instead of the usual cooked brown rice? If so how much uncooked rice should I use (TBSP/Cups)?

I assume I would cook the same way - till filling (pork, beef and rice) is completely cooked.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Pizza Chef

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,074 Posts
medtran49 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stuffed Cabbage question

I don't know about the Rice, but I learned from Jacque and Julia that if you put the head of cabbage in the freezer that the leaves come off easier and since the cell walls are destroyed by freezing, the leaves are soft and pliable without having to boil them.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Restaurant Chef

lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough

Thank you med.

I donít want to roll them. Iím going to chop the cabbage and make layers with the sauerkraut, kielbasa and meat.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 1,317 Times in 818 Posts
Cooksie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbopeep View Post
I've been wanting stuffed cabbage. But I hate removing the cabbage leaves and rolling them. SO I have decided to try it a different way. I will use my favorite recipe. Except after I mix up the filling I will use a 1 TBSP. Scoop/disher and form either into patties, balls or ovals. Then place them raw in the layers and continue with recipe directions.

I do have one question and need advice/opinion: Can I use uncooked Success brand rice (quick cooking rice) instead of the usual cooked brown rice? If so how much uncooked rice should I use (TBSP/Cups)?

I assume I would cook the same way - till filling (pork, beef and rice) is completely cooked.
I got tired of doing the steaming/rolling method too. Now my method is to put some sauce in the bottom of the pot, add roughly chopped cabbage, add a layer of small meatballs, add more sauce and simmer. I have always used regular, uncooked, long grain white rice.

When the cabbage has cooked down some, I go back and make sure that all the meatballs are covered with sauce. I have never had a problem with uncooked/crunchy rice in the final product.

The recipe that I use calls for 2 lbs ground beef to 1/2 cup rice. It also says to simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and the sauce is pretty thin, which probably helps the rice absorb and cook.

With a thicker sauce and less cooking time, you may end up with uncooked/bits of crunchy rice in the meatballs.

The recipe that I use is on here somewhere. I just can't find it.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Restaurant Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooksie View Post
I got tired of doing the steaming/rolling method too. Now my method is to put some sauce in the bottom of the pot, add roughly chopped cabbage, add a layer of small meatballs, add more sauce and simmer. I have always used regular, uncooked, long grain white rice.

When the cabbage has cooked down some, I go back and make sure that all the meatballs are covered with sauce. I have never had a problem with uncooked/crunchy rice in the final product.

The recipe that I use calls for 2 lbs ground beef to 1/2 cup rice. It also says to simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and the sauce is pretty thin, which probably helps the rice absorb and cook.

With a thicker sauce and less cooking time, you may end up with uncooked/bits of crunchy rice in the meatballs.

The recipe that I use is on here somewhere. I just can't find it.

Thank you Cooksie.

I will be using 1 lb. ground beef, 1/2 lb. ground pork, onion and a half ring of cubed smoked kielbasa for filling. So a 1/4 - 1/2 cup rice would be good. I use tomato juice for the liquid so that should work good. I also put sauerkraut and sliced kielbasa in the layers.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Restaurant Chef

I can't find your recipe Cooksie.

What did you name the thread?

Old 09-12-2020, 04:13 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thanked 1,317 Times in 818 Posts
Cooksie will become famous soon enough

I don't really remember, maybe Easy Cabbage Rolls, Lazy Cabbage Rolls, or something like that. I was never very good about adding tags. I'm not sure that you'll like this because of the canned tomato soup, but here you go. It's not my recipe. It's straight out of a Junior League Cookbook.

Meatball Mixture:
2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup rice
2 slices hard, dry bread crumbs
1 small onion, diced
2 T brown sugar
Juice of one lemon
1 t Accent

Sauce:
1 16 oz can tomatoes, mashed
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 18 oz can tomato juice
Juice of 2 lemons
3/4 cup brown sugar
Accent

Cook covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Last edited by Cooksie; 09-12-2020 at 04:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cooksie For This Useful Post:
lilbopeep (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:50 PM
Restaurant Chef

Thank you Cooksie. Thank you for the help and advice. I will try using uncooked rice.

My recipe is quite different. It’s based on my aunt’s Hungarian mother in laws recipe.

If my changes work I’ll post the recipe.

Tags
lazy golumpki, stuffed cabbage