What's For School Lunch?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes my grandkids do too. I found some of the other dishes a interesting though.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
the food at my daughters school stinks!! they order it in, no more working lunch kitchen here!! when i was in school lunch food was prepared in the school kitchen and it was 80% homemade and fantastic!!

btw it is interesting that the german lunch is green olive sauce (i make olive sauce and wonder if it is the same).

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
The Japanese and South Koreans sure know how to feed their kids.
Wow, the French don't do too bad either lol

chowhound

That website made me hungry.

We didn't have chicken nuggets or fingers when I went to school, we had real chicken pieces and they were delicious. And we had real plates. My aunt used to be in charge of the kitchen at a large high school in Erie. I remember hanging out there many afternoons for some reason... maybe mom was cheating on dad or something (lol)... Anyway, I remember the women getting stuff ready for the next day and those big racks with sheet pans stacked up with rolls on them. I loved those softball sized rolls... And the floor was always super slippery :^/

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
You're right Fred, there was no such thing as nuggets back then lol
We had real fried chicken, and it was always delicious, like it was broasted, always made the napkins stick to your fingers tho! lol

We had the sectioned plates at the schools I attended, and the drink was only milk, white or chocolate, no juices and soda was unheard of in school, never mind a vending machine like some have now.

I used to love the mac and cheese or ravioli days at school, you could have either/or a little of both :D
The cooks used to make this cake that was spiced and had a caramel icing.. God I'd give anything to know how they made that! There was also a cowboy cookie bar that all the kids went mad over.
Some kids used to bitch about the green hotdogs or fried baloney sandwiches, but they sure ate them.
We had a fab Johnny Marzetti too..
Man, can't believe I can remember all this!:shock::yum:

chowhound

Ditto the napkins sticking to your fingers! And we only got the one napkin for some reason, even though the metal silverware was available in metal bins for the taking. High school they may have been wrapped with a napkin. For some reason I remember grade school lunches more than high school lunches.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ditto the napkins sticking to your fingers! And we only got the one napkin for some reason, even though the metal silverware was available in metal bins for the taking. High school they may have been wrapped with a napkin. For some reason I remember grade school lunches more than high school lunches.
The only thing I remember much about grade school lunches was thinking I had to eat the peaches I was served-- there was always someones mean mother there to monitor the lunch room (swear they asked the meanies to volunteer):tongue:.. or occasionally one of the catholic sisters would go around telling us to clean our tray, because of the starving kids in Africa.
Back to the peaches.. I hated them/still do (the canned variety)..the little bubbles in the syrup/juice always looked like someone spat in them, to my young eyes haha!

chowhound

I love canned peaches! And while I have eaten fresh peaches, I can't tell you when the last one was. I'm not a big fruit eater and never was. mmm, canned peaches and cottage cheese. That was a favorite of mine. And canned pears... gotta have that syrup ;^)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I love canned peaches! And while I have eaten fresh peaches, I can't tell you when the last one was. I'm not a big fruit eater and never was. mmm, canned peaches and cottage cheese. That was a favorite of mine. And canned pears... gotta have that syrup ;^)
mmm cottage cheese topped with corn relish.. lol
or pickled beets!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
That website made me hungry.

We didn't have chicken nuggets or fingers when I went to school, we had real chicken pieces and they were delicious. And we had real plates. My aunt used to be in charge of the kitchen at a large high school in Erie. I remember hanging out there many afternoons for some reason... maybe mom was cheating on dad or something (lol)... Anyway, I remember the women getting stuff ready for the next day and those big racks with sheet pans stacked up with rolls on them. I loved those softball sized rolls... And the floor was always super slippery :^/
my aunt also ran a high school kitchen. i always wondered what made the tuna on italian bread heros taste so good. she said they buttered ALL the loaves of bread. some were sliced to be go with a hot lunch (each hot lunch got 2 buttered bread which was either white or italian). and the rest went for the cold lunches sandwiches. that was what made them taste good the butter!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting site. What available in grammar schools vs. what is available on a college campus should be made very clear in sites like this. Assuming we're only talking about grammar school cafeterias..:

There are a couple of programs in the usa regarding school meals for kids. The first is a program where a kid can get two square meals a day plus three snacks, all on the goverment tab. This ensures that regardless of a caregiver's financial situation, the child is going to eat 2 healthy meals and some snacks. Even if he has nothing else for the rest of the day, he's gotten enough good stuff in his system to keep him healthy. Those meals and snacks are strictly regulated. The new food pyramid is adhered to. The meals encompass all the food groups in the proper portions and eliminate all the junk. Desserts are not witheld and cake or cookies are permitted.

This same program is available on a smaller scale for kids who's situation does not require as much. They may get just the lunch and a take home snack.

This program is available in every state at every school.

Then there is the optional purchase meal plan. Most grammar schools are strictly retail. Lunch costs a certain amount of money. You opt to buy lunch or bring it from home. The best way to sell to kids is to make an all inclusive tray price. When there is a couple of hot lunch options and a couple of cold lunch options, complete with sides, beverage and dessert you'll have the greatest opportunity to ensure the kids have a healthy meal. Sell either A B C or D for the same price.

Then, you have the a la carte programs. Everything has a price, whether it's a grilled cheese sandwich, a pretzel, a granola bar, a cookies, a slice of pizza, etc. The problem with this program is there is little incentive to get a kid to purchase that plate of steamed broccoli, even if you pour fatty cheese sauce over it. The kid would much rather buy the big cookie and an order of fries. If you are going to give the kid choices you cannot expect the school to monitor what the kid purchases. It's not fair for parents or the school to decide what the cafeteria can sell either. I've seen places where boards have forbidden the sale of french fries, cookies, chicken nuggets. These same schools tell you to sell granola bars, baked potato chips, grilled chicken. Sales decline and the cafe cannot meet a budget...because the kids won't buy that stuff and the same parents that won't let the cafe sell the cookies will now send the cookies in from home.

Then there are the brown bag lunches. More often than not, these are the worst lunches in the school. If there is no refrigeration offered for the bags (and there are many schools where the bag sits in the cloakroom all day) you first run the risk of a food born intoxication due to improperly held food. Then, look at what is coming in...processed food with white flour, trans fats, sugars and sodium counts as high as the flag pole. Unless there is a rule against it, kids bring soda to school. Kids bring candy bars. Kids bring energy drinks.

More work needs to be done in the area regarding school meals and meals in general for children. If school meals were provided to all children, and all special dietary needs are met (and it's really not that tough to do that, either) then you could really begin to eliminate the obesity problem in this country.

School food programs are often the butt of jokes, from mystery meat to strange sauces. Considering how strict the regulations are that monitor what is served and what is not permitted (trans fat for instance) more people would realize that the school provided meal is the most nutrituous meal many kids get.:soapbox:

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Besides bringing back physical education classes as well as good nutrition. Because even healthy food can make you fat with out burning it off properly.