Dado's Chicken with Bacon, Mushrooms, Wine

Dados1950

Chicken with Bacon,Mushrooms & White Wine Sauce...
(the bacon grease, heavy cream & white wine make an "awesome sauce")

Ingredients
· 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
· Splash of neutral oil
· 5-6 Chicken Thighs-Bone in with Skin
· 4 ounces Bacon –chopped ( I used thick cut bacon slices)
· 2 shallots, finely chopped
· 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 4 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped ( I used 4 oz package of “fancy mushrooms from local Acme)
· 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
· 1 cup dry white wine
· 1½ cups chicken stock
· 1 cup heavy cream
· 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preparation
1. In a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and add a splash of oil. Season the chicken with salt & pepper; place skin-side down and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook about 1 minute more. Remove chicken with tongs and set aside.
2. To the same pan over medium heat, add bacon; cook until fat has rendered and bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. To the same pan, over medium-high heat, add shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, cook about 1 minute more. Add mushrooms, turn to coat. Season mixture with salt & pepper; stir in thyme. Cook until mushrooms have softened and released most of their liquid, about 5-7 minutes. Carefully add wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, cook about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Add ½ of the reserved bacon and return chicken thighs to pan, skin side up. Simmer over medium-low heat until chicken thighs are cooked through and sauce has reduced, about 15-25 minutes.
4. Stir in cream. Season to taste, if needed. Continue to cook until sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Garnish with remaining bacon and chopped parsley.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dados, I love everything in this dish, and love the fact that only one pan is used! I can see myself serving this dish with a side of steamed fresh spinach.

But I'm all about the skin on poultry. Have you made this dish? Is the skin crispy???

Lee

Dados1950

Yes...actually have made it twice.

You start off by frying chicken skin side down so it does get some degree of crispness. I guess you could cook a little longer skin side down to get the crispy you like,.