Cinnamon-Raisin Bagels

homecook

Ingredients:
* 1 cup raisins (I used craisins and dates)
* 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
* 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour, or white whole-wheat flour
* 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 3-4 cups bread flour
* 1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Kettle water

* 6 quarts water
* 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

Preparation:

Put raisins in a small bowl and add enough boiling water to cover; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and blot dry with a paper towel.

Whisk lukewarm water, 1/4 cup brown sugar, honey, and oil in your mixer until honey and sugar dissolves. Combine whole-wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, yeast and the raisins. Add to the water mixture. Mix with a dough hook and then add in enough of the bread flour to make a soft dough, start with about 2-1/2 cups. Let mixer go for about 5 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead, gradually incorporating more flour, until the dough is smooth and quite firm, about 5 minutes. Cover with a clean cloth and let rest for 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces. I use a scale and they average about 4 oz. each. Form into about a 2-3 inch circle, pop your thumb through the middle and form an even circle. Set the bagels aside, uncovered, to rise until slightly puffy, about 20 minutes.

To kettle and; bake bagels: Preheat oven to 425F. Line 1 large or 2 small baking sheets with parchment paper. Bring 6 quarts water and 2 tablespoons brown sugar to a boil in a large pot.

Slip several risen bagels at a time into the pot, the water should be at a lively simmer. Cook for 45 seconds, turn them over with a slotted spoon or tongs and cook for 45 seconds longer. Remove the bagels with a slotted spoon and drain on a clean kitchen towel; place on the prepared baking sheet(s). Brush with egg white.

Place the bagels in the oven, reduce heat to 400F and bake for 15 minutes. Turn the bagels over and bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes more.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 102

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
BARB!!!!!

Good to see you!!!!

And those bagels look incredible!

You are getting really good at this bread stuff. Is JoeV tutoring you???

Lee

homecook

Thanks Lee! Good to see you too! :)

I've been doing alot of baking lately. I think Joe has let me fly the coop! :biggrin: But he's always around for moral support....