SCORE!!! (Dirt Cheap)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Just went to a new shop that opened recently here in town called “Dirt Cheap”. They get merchandise from close outs, damaged lots, open boxes, etc. All the stuff is brand new, but the packing is in a bad way, and sometimes items are broken.

The packing is typically in bad shape, and sometimes parts are missing, but if you know how to pick it, you can get some astonishing deals.

Tonight we scored an Oster Bread Maker, new and complete (all parts are there), and it works great.

Regular price: $59.99 – We paid at Dirt Cheap: $17.00

Also got a new George Forman grill with removable plates. I’ll get rid of the old one and use this one now. Works great, only thing missing was the drip pan which I can work around easily.

Regular price: $59.99 – We paid at Dirt Cheap: $23.00

Besides those two incredible items, we picked up a $25 Star Wars TV game for Michael at a price of $7.00.

Also got the cats a water fountain that goes for $19.99 for a mere $6.00

Lisa picked up some Levi Capri pants for……..$1.00, and I grabbed a few shirts for $5.00 each.

Incredible.

The packaging is in bad shape, and some times parts are missing, but all of this stuff is new, just slightly abused.

Here’s the Bread Maker and Foreman. We’ll be making a 2lb White Loaf here shortly. How exciting! :biggrin:

If a Dirt Cheap store is near you.....run, don't walk, and see what deals you can find!

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 674
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 587
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 657
  • b4.JPG
    b4.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 652
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 618
  • f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 723

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great deals, K!

Congratulations on some terrific finds!

Have fun!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh wow, Keltin! That's something I really miss about the US. Nothing like that here. Hope you enjoy your bread machine. Had one years ago, and nothing beats just throwing all the ingredients into the machine and ending up with scrumptious fresh bread! I used to have one of those GF grills and sold it at a yard sale. Sure do wish I still had it! WTG!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks!

The Bread Maker is working now. I’ve never used one before, and I have to admit, I was DYING as it began the first mix. There was dry flour left in pools on the sides, and I was worrying that I got the wet measurements wrong (even though I tripled checked them). I SO wanted to lift the lid and begin mashing about, but no, I figured hey, this thing is the cook, so let it be.

Now, 30 minutes in after periodic kneadings and some rising, everything is together in one cohesive dough ball…..and rising. How COOL!

I tell you, pouring the ingredients in and letting this little machine do all that mixing, kneading, rising, punching, forming, etc, is far better than me getting all Gladiatorial with flour in the kitchen.

DW winces when I break out the flour! :yum:

But with this, so far, she is impressed, as am I. This little machine is certainly working its guts out, and I’m pleased so far.

The bread won’t be done for a while yet, but so far, I’m loving this.

Leni

I have a bread machine also and I love it. The only problem is slicing the bread. I tend not to do it evenly.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good finds, Keltin!

Check the place out. Merchandise is always coming and going there, so each week is a new find! It's on Memorial just before Sparkman.....on your left as you head North, in an old Lowes building.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Nice catch! is Dirt Cheap a chain or a one-of?

I really don't know. They are like Big Lots, but they are selling the stuff even Big Lots wouldn't take (cosmetic damage to packaging). I know there are three of them (the Dirt Cheap stores) in my area in the surrounding towns, but I have no idea if they are national.

buckytom

Grill Master
your cats assuredly have a secret agenda, k.

they'll tell you the fountain is ars gratia artis, but the next thing they'll ask for is koi carp for the fountain. their real motivation...

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
your cats assuredly have a secret agenda, k.

they'll tell you the fountain is ars gratis artis, but the next thing they'll ask for is koi carp for the fountain. their real motivation...

It’s a small fountain designed to circulate water so its fresh and give them something to smack at or stick their faces in (which they like to do). Unless the Koi are really small, I think they’ll have to stick to their fish treats coming from a can! :yum:

Attachments

• water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 547

Guts

Really? :w00t:

Got a recipe that works for the machine? I'd like to try it!

Keltin I used to make pizza dough in my bread machine before I had a large KA mixer. I'll include a link from a pizza site where one of the members Peter has tried just about everything and better explains It better than I can how to make dough in a bread machine. He also has some pictures there. I'm referring to reply 51 in this link. There's a recipe. There along with a picture. I must say that is not the ultimate way to make pizza dough but I used bread machine for years make my in this recipe/formula would probably be better than the one that I used.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5486.html#msg5486

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
They all seem to be in AL, MS and LA.

Store Locator
Welcome to the Treasure Hunt and Dirt Cheap Store Locator.
To see all of our Dirt Cheap and Treasure Hunt locations [URL="http://www.ilovedirtcheap.com/_cabinet/2/map.pdf"]CLICK HERE!
[/URL]

DIRT CHEAP ALBERTVILLE DIRT CHEAP
5111 HIGHWAY 431 SOUTH
ALBERTVILLE, AL 35950
view map

AMITE DIRT CHEAP
759 W OAK ST
AMITE, LA 70422
view map

AMORY DIRT CHEAP
1211 HWY. 278 EAST
AMORY, MS 38821
view map

ATMORE DIRT CHEAP
150 LINDBERG AVENUE
ATMORE, AL 36502
view map

BLUE MOUNTAIN DIRT CHEAP
6451 A HWY 15
BLUE MOUNTAIN, MS 38610

view map

BOGALUSA DIRT CHEAP
312 CUMBERLAND STREET
BOGALUSA, LA 70427

view map

BREWTON DIRT CHEAP
1804 DOUGLAS AVE.
BREWTON, AL 36426

view map

BROOKHAVEN DIRT CHEAP
542 SCHWEM AVE
BROOKHAVEN, MS 39601

view map

CARTHAGE DIRT CHEAP
501 HIGHWAY 16 W
CARTHAGE, MS 39051

view map

COLLINS DIRT CHEAP
101 SOUTH HOLLY ST.
COLLINS, MS 39428

view map

COLUMBIA DIRT CHEAP
TOWN SQ SHPG CTR
924 HWY 13 S
COLUMBIA, MS 39429

view map

COLUMBUS DIRT CHEAP
201-V ALABAMA STREET
COLUMBUS, MS 39702

view map

DEMOPOLIS DIRT CHEAP
1622 HWY 80 EAST
DEMOPOLIS, AL 36732

view map

DIRT CHEAP ALL STORES
view map

FOREST DIRT CHEAP
921 HIGHWAY 35
FOREST, MS 39074
view map

FRANKLINTON DIRT CHEAP
1912 WASHINGTON ST SE
FRANKLINTON, LA 70438
view map

GADSDEN DIRT CHEAP
301 NORTH 12TH ST
GADSDEN, AL 35901
view map

GAUTIER DIRT CHEAP
2707 HIGHWAY 90
SUITE 6
GAUTIER, MS 39553
view map

GULFPORT DIRT CHEAP
360 PASS RD
GULFPORT, MS 39507
view map

HATTIESBURG DIRT CHEAP
601 BROADWAY DRIVE
HATTIESBURG, MS 39401
view map

HATTIESBURG DIRT CHEAP BUILDING SUPPLIES
(601) 545-7778
5912 US HWY 49 NORTH SUITE B
HATTIESBURG, MS 39401
view map

HAZLEHURST DIRT CHEAP
HAZLEHURST, MS
view map

HORN LAKE DIRT CHEAP
HORN LAKE, MS
view map

HUNTSVILLE DIRT CHEAP
HUNTSVILLE, AL
view map

JACKSON DIRT CHEAP
520 COLLEGE AVE
JACKSON, AL 36545
view map

KOSCIUSKO DIRT CHEAP
338 HIGHWAY 12 W
KOSCIUSKO, MS 39090
view map

LAUREL DIRT CHEAP
LAUREL TWN CTR
UNIT B - 2139 HWY 15 N
LAUREL, MS 39440
view map

LONG BEACH DIRT CHEAP
19099 PINEVILLE RD
SUITE D-1
LONG BEACH, MS 39560
view map

LOUISVILLE DIRT CHEAP
528 NORTH CHURCH STREET
LOUISVILLE, MS 39339
view map

LUCEDALE DIRT CHEAP
12101 HIGHWAY 63 S
LUCEDALE, MS 39452
view map

LUMBERTON DIRT CHEAP
825 E MAIN AVE
LUMBERTON, MS 39455
view map

MADISON DIRT CHEAP
8760 MADISON BOULEVARD
SUITE A1
MADISON, AL 35758
view map

MAGEE DIRT CHEAP
1700 SIMPSON HIGHWAY 49
SUITE 2
MAGEE, MS 39111
view map

MERIDIAN DIRT CHEAP
4900 POPLAR SPRINGS DRIVE
MERIDIAN, MS 39301
view map

MOBILE DIRT CHEAP - AIRPORT BLVD
7156-A AIRPORT BLVD
MOBILE, AL 36695
view map

MOBILE DIRT CHEAP - MOFFETT RD
5701 MOFFET ROAD
MOBILE, AL 36618
view map

MONROE DIRT CHEAP
3128 LOUISVILLE AVENUE
MONROE, LA 71201
view map

NATCHEZ DIRT CHEAP
55 SGT PRENTISS DRIVE
NATCHEZ, MS 39120
view map

NEWTON DIRT CHEAP
209 SCANLAN STREET
NEWTON, MS 39345
view map

PETAL DIRT CHEAP
334 N MAIN ST
PETAL, MS 39465
view map

PHILADELPHIA DIRT CHEAP
716 PECAN AVE
SUITE 1
PHILADELPHIA, MS 39350
view map

PICAYUNE DIRT CHEAP
781 138TH ENG MEM BLVD, SUITE 3
PICAYUNE, MS 39466
view map

PRENTISS DIRT CHEAP
660 COLUMBIA AVE.
PRENTISS, MS 39474
view map

QUITMAN DIRT CHEAP
219 NORTH ARCHUSA
QUITMAN, MS 39355
view map

STARKVILLE DIRT CHEAP
800 LOUISVILLE STREET CENTRE
STARKVILLE, MS 39759
view map

THOMASVILLE DIRT CHEAP
33107 HIGHWAY 43 S
THOMASVILLE, AL 36784
view map

TUPELO DIRT CHEAP
1136 WEST MAIN ST.
TUPELO, MS 38801
view map

TUSCALOOSA DIRT CHEAP
4626 UNIVERSITY BLVD E
SUITE C
TUSCALOOSA, AL 35404

view map

WAYNESBORO DIRT CHEAP
1108 MISSISSIPPI DRIVE
WAYNESBORO, MS 39367

view map

WEST POINT DIRT CHEAP
736 WINCHESTER DRIVE
WEST POINT, MS 39773

view map

WIGGINS DIRT CHEAP
1131 WEST CENTRAL AVE
WIGGINS, MS 39577

view map

YAZOO CITY DIRT CHEAP
1539 JERRY CLOWER BLVD
YAZOO CITY, MS 39194

view map

ZACHARY DIRT CHEAP
5460 MAIN STREET
ZACHARY, LA 70791

view map

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin I used to make pizza dough in my bread machine before I had a large KA mixer. I'll include a link from a pizza site where one of the members Peter has tried just about everything and better explains It better than I can how to make dough in a bread machine. He also has some pictures there. I'm referring to reply 51 in this link. There's a recipe. There along with a picture. I must say that is not the ultimate way to make pizza dough but I used bread machine for years make my in this recipe/formula would probably be better than the one that I used.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5486.html#msg5486

Thanks! I'm new to this, so what is the difference between All Purpose Flour and Bread Flour. The bread recipe I used tonight called for "Bread Flour" which we found. How does it differ from All Purpose (no soda or powder added).

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Bread flour has a higher percentage of protein/gluten than A/P flour. It helps with the elasticity of the dough and the structure of the bread.

In a pinch, you can probably substitute, but the bread won't rise as well or have as good a structure.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i shop at dirt cheap all the time when in LA,MS and AL...one of my favorite stores.

i bought my slow cooker for $6 there. and i bought alot of nice clothes there.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Bread flour has a higher percentage of protein/gluten than A/P flour. It helps with the elasticity of the dough and the structure of the bread.

In a pinch, you can probably substitute, but the bread won't rise as well or have as good a structure.

Thank you! That is exactly the info I was looking for! :kiss:

Ok, Bread Flour only then!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The first inaugural loaf is out and done. Going to let it cool a bit before slicing, but here is how she looks fresh out of the machine. Slicing to come soon.

Attachments

• br1.jpg
    br1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 538
  • br2.jpg
    br2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 556
  • br3.jpg
    br3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 545

buckytom

Grill Master
very nice, k! :applause: save me a slice with honey and butter.

i'll have to give you my recipe for bread machine honey banana flax whole wheat bread.

lol, well, it's not so much of a recipe as just adding 3 overripe bananas, a coupla tbsps of honey, and a half cup of flax seed to a bag of bob's red mill whole wheat bread machine bread mix.

but give it a try, you'll like it. :biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, done. Turned out very, very nice. Loving fresh bread. It sliced well, and I made a sandwich for work tomorrow. Double enjoyment, I’ll eat it tonight and have it for lunch tomorrow. What a blast!

Attachments

• sl1.jpg
    sl1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 547
  • sl2.jpg
    sl2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 564
  • sl3.jpg
    sl3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 488
  • sl4.jpg
    sl4.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 504

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Looks like it has a really nice texture, Keltin. And just think - you can make more tomorrow. Or the next day. I used to set my bread machine to go on in the middle of the night on weekends, so I could wake up to fresh bread for breakfast. Yum.

Guts

Keltin isn't fresh bread great. I just like to add about the bread flour and gluten the higher the gluten content when making pizza dough is going to give you a slightly tougher/chew E crust. I'm using KASL (King Arthur Sir Lancelot) for the protein content is about 14 or slightly higher. This is all personal preference on your pizza dough, King Arthur also makes a bread flour, which some of my friends like better than Sir Lancelot. can also use it for making bread. bread flour is good for bread pizza dough and a lot of dough products. If I were going to have to flours. They're probably be all-purpose AP and bread flour BF I think I have about five different kinds of flour in the house now cake flour and so on. When I made pizza dough. I would set the machine to "dough cycle" remove the dough let it rise to make pizzas about four hours later. Cooking them on a stone in the oven set on the highest temperature oven will achieve in one hour. With my oven pizzas cook in about 6 1/2 minutes.

Your bread looks great and that it taste better than store-bought. Keep experimenting I think you like it. Good luck

Last edited: