Meatless Fattie!?!?!?

Arthur

I'm going to make one for my wife (vegetarian) tomorrow. I will be using a soy bean mixture that resembles italian sausage. Has anyone smoked soy products before? I think I will smoke it for an hour? I, however, will be making myself a real meat fattie.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No meat? Wouldn’t you call that a “Leanie”??? :yum:

Seriously though, I haven’t tried that. I wonder how well the soy protein will hold together. Will you be using a binder of any type?

Love2"Q"

you might want to try using some kind of a binder like
keltin said ...
what if you use some veggie burgers and maybe ssome crisco
for fat ..

Love2"Q"

there is a company called Gimme Lean that makes soy sausage in the tube like
regular breakfast sausage .. give that a try .

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Good idea about the Crisco L2Q! When I posted earlier, I was trying to think of a fat, but everything I came up with was animal based. :oops:

At the Asian Market today, I saw Vegetable Sausage. It was a long roll that looked just like pepperoni. I wonder how that is?

Arthur

My wife liked it, she wants me to make another for her family (of vegetarians) at a pool party this weekend. I stuffed it with white cheddar/tomato/basil cheese, onions and peppers. I smoked it for an hour when I saw the cheese oozing out. The meat was too dark to see a smoke ring. I'll use pork next time, it is a lighter color meat.

I use a product called "Match". It's made in St. Louis. It's a 1lb package of ground soy. They have different types of "meat" such as chicken, italian sausage, pork and beef. It holds together by itself, I used non-stick spary because it got sticky when I tried to shape it.

I have pictures, I will try to post them tonight.

Arthur

that looks like a cheese stuffed meatloaf. YUMMY!!

recipe?

It's easy to make...

1lb of "Match" Italian Sausage ground soy
Tomato/Basil White Cheddar cheese
Diced Onions and Green Peppers

1. Spray surface with non stick spray.
2. Flatten sausage
3. Add cheese and veggies (no measurement, whatever fits)
4. Roll sausage into a tube shape
5. Smoke for 1 hour

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
It's easy to make...

1lb of "Match" Italian Sausage ground soy
Tomato/Basil White Cheddar cheese
Diced Onions and Green Peppers

1. Spray surface with non stick spray.
2. Flatten sausage
3. Add cheese and veggies (no measurement, whatever fits)
4. Roll sausage into a tube shape
5. Smoke for 1 hour
thank you!!

buckytom

Grill Master
excellent, artie. copied and saved. i was just going to post a question about what can i smoke now that dw has given up red meat.

i think i'll try to find soy sausage. if not, then maybe turkey sausage.

thanks.

Arthur

excellent, artie. copied and saved. i was just going to post a question about what can i smoke now that dw has given up red meat.

i think i'll try to find soy sausage. if not, then maybe turkey sausage.

thanks.

Technically, pork isn't red meat. So you can still make fattie's. :biggrin:

I gave up eating meat for lent this year, but I couldn't bring myself to eat any soy products. It just don't look right to me. So I ate seafood, pasta, beans, rice, etc. It wasn't easy and I did cheat only one day, my wife and I went on a date for the first time since our boys were born and I celebrated with a ribeye steak dinner. That was 27 days into lent, I gave myself a lot of credit going that long. After lent was over, I had a Doctor appointment and I found that my cholestorhol dropped into the "normal" range.

Of course I started eating meat soon after and it has been ribs, pulled pork, steaks and fattie's ever since. Welcome back clogged arteries!:wave: