homecook

3 large cucumbers, about 1 to 1-1/2 in. diameter, sliced
1 medium sized green pepper, sliced
1 medium sized sweet onion, sliced
1 T. salt
1 T. celery seed
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar

Wash cucumbers but do not remove skin. Cut into thin slices and combine with the green pepper and onion. Sprinkle with salt and celery seed. Stir gently and let stand about 1 hour.

Combine sugar and vinegar and stir well to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables and stir to blend. Cover or put cucumber mixture in an appropriate jar. (I use canning jars.)

They are ready in a few days. Store, covered in refrigerator. Makes about 5 cups.

Barb

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
ahhhhhh I see!
These sound wonderful too Barb.
Maybe I'll have a pickle making weekend? lol

S.Shepherd

I do pretty much the same thing, but if I want them sweet-hots I add crushed red pepper to the vinegar/sugar and boil it for about 3 min.Oh, I also add crushed garlic:brows:

homecook

Lily they will last for at least 3-4 months. In my house about 1 month of making 3-1/2 qt. jars. I eat them for a snack!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’m curious, do they still taste like cucumbers or more like pickles? Cucumbers to me taste like watermelon, but I love a good pickle.

chowhound

I've had them, just the cucumber and onions, in apple cider vinegar diluted with water. It was a side "salad" I guess as I was growing up and I still make them once in a while. They are just crunchy, vinegar flavored "items". You can taste the onion somewhat, but the cucumber taste is lost. They're good though. I make them a couple hours ahead of when I want them. It's just a fresh tasting salad of sorts.
That said, I much prefer a dressing of half mayo/half sour cream with them ;^)

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've had them, just the cucumber and onions, in apple cider vinegar diluted with water. It was a side "salad" I guess as I was growing up and I still make them once in a while. They are just crunchy, vinegar flavored "items". You can taste the onion somewhat, but the cucumber taste is lost. They're good though. I make them a couple hours ahead of when I want them. It's just a fresh tasting salad of sorts.
My Grandmother used to make those as well Chow (both ways)-which is why I love them so much.

homecook

They don't taste like a pickle. It tastes like a pickled cucumber. LOL

It's like a sweet/sour cucumber w/onion and green pepper. They sure don't taste like watermelon. I don't know how else to describe it. They're really good though!

homecook

I love them with sour cream also. Thin sliced with thin sliced onion and sour cream, salt and pepper. Yum!!

I'll try the half mayo and half sour cream next time.

chowhound

I love them with sour cream also. Thin sliced with thin sliced onion and sour cream, salt and pepper. Yum!!

I'll try the half mayo and half sour cream next time.

Yep, yum is right. And gotta be thin sliced onion. I can't wait til Vidalias are back in season!