Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Flour Tortillas

You will need

Rolling Pin
1 Gallon Ziplock

It would be nice to have

Tortilla Press
Tottilla warmer (If you don't have one use a small covered casserole.)

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ingredients [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Crisco solid
about 1 1/4 cups warm water
[/FONT]

In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Use a whisk and gently mix.

Use a fork and cut in the Crisco. Keep working it in till there are noo lumps pf Crisco you turn the mixture over with the whisk.

Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add about half of the water. Mix it with a spoon.

Add about half of the remaining water and mix.

Carefully add the rest of the water a little at a time and mix.

You are trying to achieve a smooth non sticky dough that you can work easily by hand. If you have added all the water and it is still dry and stringy, add 1 Tbsp more of water.. If the dough is too wet, add one tbsp more of flour till you get the smooth consistency. The trick that usually works for me is when all the water is in,it still seems a bit dry. I add 1 Tbsp of water and it seems to get too wet, but, when I sprinkle 1 Tbsp of flower and work it, it just comes out perfect. Divide the dough ball into 12 equal parts. Put the dough balls aside to rest.

Now for the trick. Take the gallon ziplock and cut off the top. Then slit down the two sides. You have a sort of a plastic file folder.

Take one of the balls and center it between the tow sides of the ziplock. If you have a tortilla press, put the ziplock in the press with the dough ball in the center and press. Then take it out and put it flat on the counter. Use the rolling pin to further flatten it out. Work from the center out.

If you do not have a tortilla press, use the rolling pin and work from the center out and roll it flat. The zip lock will keep anything from sticking to the rolling pin

Carefully peel back one side of the ziplock.. Careful starting it. Once you get it started, it should peel well. The first couple are the hardest. I think the Crisco then lubricates the plastic and from then on it is cool. (Maybe a spray of non stick stuff)

Then peel the tortilla back off the bottom plastic. Kind of let it lay over your hand. Gently plop the tortilla on a fairly hot,dry cast iron griddle. If you do nto get it flat immediately, leave it. It will stick in place for a few seconds. You are cooking about 30 – 50 seconds per side. You want to brown it a little,not burn. Just before it browns is OK too. When it is ready to turn, it will unstick from the griddle and you can flip it.

When the second side is done pop it into a tortilla warmer or covered casserole. The tortilla will be stiff when it comes off the griddle. After a few minutes in the warmer, you will have a beautiful soft warm tortilla. My tortillas have stayed warm for several hours (3 or so) in the warmer.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've always had a lot of respect for someone who makes their own tortillas!

suziquzie

If I am about to attempt this just to avoid running to the store for tortillas, does that mean I'm lazy?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
No. Might make youy a cheapskate though (j/k). I prefer home made. We sometimes make up a huge batch and freeze them.