Looking for sprouter for small seeds (like Chia Pet)

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I like to sprout small seeds which get washed away in the cracks of my usual seed sprouter. I got a Chia pet on sale this winter but it's tiny.

Any ideas of where to find a grooved sprouter?

Thanks!

High Cheese

Saucier
right between two paper towels.....

+1

Just did this with some fresh chile pepper seeds. They sprout in 5-6 days. I transferred to some soil in an egg carton, already have 1" plants growing. I use a small mister to water them.

Just dampen a paper towel, scatter the seeds, fold and place into a ziplock bag. Leave in a warm area of your house. I used a small shelf behind our oven. You can use the top of your fridge too.

phreak

I've had good luck with taking a toilet paper roll, cutting it in half then filling with some jiffy style peat pellets that I break up(obviously a good potting mix or just straight peat would probably work). Then I put them in plastic berry clamshells. The clamshells have holes in the bottom so I place the seeds, then fill something that's big enough to set the clamshell into with some water and it waters from the bottom up, so the seeds don't get washed away. It is a good way to reduce, and reuse and it works great. If this is hard to picture from my description let me know and I'll take some pics.

edit rather than take my own pic I'll rip one off the internet :)
http://mommatstable.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/102_9304.jpg
102_9304.jpg

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I saw that peatey thing in the store. Isn't that more for plants than sprouts? Sprouts grow in the air.

phreak

You are correct. Sorry about that, I misread and didn't realize you want to grow sprouts, not sprout and start plants.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
i ended up getting this for $12

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FVPP04/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
BUT the small seeds got stuck in it, too. I think it will be too much trouble to return it, so I am back to using the Chia pet. I'm not that happy.