Authentic albondigas (Mexican meatballs) - yummy!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I made a batch of these last night to take to a party this afternoon. Because we used them as snacks, I also made a dipping sauce from crema (Mexican sour cream), cilantro, lime juice, my home made chile powder and avocados. Normally, they would be served in the broth with warm tortillas. These take a little time, but they as SO worth it. Nice subtle blend of flavors and great texture. Everybody gobbled them up.

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]ALBONDIGAS/MEXICAN MEATBALLS[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]The broth:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]5 tomatoes, chopped or a can (14 oz) of chopped tomatoes,with juice[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 clove garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 small onion, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 TBS adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]3 TBS oil[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2-3 TBS chicken, beef or tomato stock granules (I used a mixture of Knorr's beef and tomato)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Combine the tomatoes with the garlic, onion and adobo sauce and puree in the blender. Heat the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven and cook the pureed mixture for 5-10 minutes to mix the flavors. Add three cups water, stock granules and cook for ten minutes longer.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]The meatballs:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 lb. ground beef[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 lb. ground pork[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 cup cooked rice[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]3-5 tomatillos, depending on size[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]¼ cup cilantro, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2-3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]2 cloves garlic[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 small onion[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]1 TBS chicken, beef or tomato stock granules[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Puree the tomatillos, eggs, cilantro, chiles, garlic and onion in a blender. Place the meat in a bowl and add the rice and stock powder. Stir in the blended sauce and mix WELL. Shape the mixture into balls the size of walnuts and cook in the tomato broth for 20 minutes (you may need to do this in two batches.) Sprinkle with additional cilantro for garnish. Serves eight.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• FOOD 001.jpg
    FOOD 001.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 307

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a fantastic-looking pot of food, Karen!

Was it very spicy-hot?

Lee

P.S. That CI pan full of stuff must have weighed a TON!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, Trish and Lee - it isn't VERY hot. The only heat is from the chipotles and it is actually just a subtle aftertaste.

PapaJoe8

Looks great Karen! I love your use of those canned chipotles. LaCostina is the brand I use. I like their pickled jalapenos also.
Joe

Calicolady

Looks good Karen. I'm up for trying these too. Now that I know they're not too hot/spicy.
I've never worked with tomatillos before, but know they have papery cover. Do you peel this off first? Furthur instructions are needed, please.
And, instead of the knorr granules, I have Knorr Caldo de Tomate, which is a spice, tomato bouillon w/ chicken flavor.
I do believe they sell one with beef flavor.
You think this would be an okay sub?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
My son is a great fan of meatballs - I may just have to give these a go.

Lefty

Yank
Right now if I could turn myself to zeros and ones I would come through your modem to try that. Yummmmmy that looks so good. :thumb:

FryBoy

Wow! That looks GREAT! I love Albondigas Soup. Best I've had in Los Angeles are the versions served at Sierra's in Canoga Park and at Barragan's in Echo Park, but this looks even better.

Printed and saved.

Thanks!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
CalicoLady said:
I have Knorr Caldo de Tomate, which is a spice, tomato bouillon w/ chicken flavor.

That's exactly what I used! I should have been more clear in the recipe - sorry! I didn't know you could get that product in the states...I love it. It is so good. As for the tomatillos? Yep, peel off the paper cover and then just cut them in quarters before you put them in the blender. I used 5, I think, because the ones I had were small. I've been wondering if they would be even better if I roasted them first for a bit, just to char the skins, but I haven't tried that.

And Joe? I use the same brand (LaCostena) - they are wonderful, and they come in tiny, tiny cans if you want use just a little and not waste any. And I always have some of the pickled jalapenos in my pantry. They are great, too.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words - hope you enjoy!