Sea Bass en Sous Vide

ironchef

This was an interesting dish that came out really well. The sea bass was marinated and cryovac'd in extra virgin olive oil, garlic, shallots, sherry vinegar, thyme, and black pepper, then cooked sous vide. It was served with kale and pearl onions braised with pancetta, roasted mushrooms, and a romesco broth.

Chilean Sea Bass Escabeche en "Sous Vide"
Pancetta Braised Kale and Pearl Onions, Roasted King Eryngii Mushrooms, Micro Cilantro, Romesco Broth

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Why do you add evoo? I've not found any value to adding oils to my Sous-Vide pouches. And Sea Bass is clearly a moist fish. When I started out, I misread something and thought it was necessary. Then I discovered that my evoo was breaking down in the prolonged heat, imparting a metallic taste. If I have to add oil now, I stick to grape seed oil.

ironchef

Why do you add evoo? I've not found any value to adding oils to my Sous-Vide pouches. And Sea Bass is clearly a moist fish. When I started out, I misread something and thought it was necessary. Then I discovered that my evoo was breaking down in the prolonged heat, imparting a metallic taste. If I have to add oil now, I stick to grape seed oil.

The olive oil was used as a base for the escabeche. The fish itself was only cooked for about 10 minutes at 130 degrees F. But you're right in that oil itself is not necessary to sous vide.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooked 10 minutes at 130 degrees, IC? Doesn't that make it about room temp? Coddling it?

Geez, I think my bath water is hotter than that. :huh:

Lee

Derek

Banned
This was an interesting dish that came out really well. The sea bass was marinated and cryovac'd in extra virgin olive oil, garlic, shallots, sherry vinegar, thyme, and black pepper, then cooked sous vide. It was served with kale and pearl onions braised with pancetta, roasted mushrooms, and a romesco broth.

Chilean Sea Bass Escabeche en "Sous Vide"
Pancetta Braised Kale and Pearl Onions, Roasted King Eryngii Mushrooms, Micro Cilantro, Romesco Broth

Looks very good mate!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That is awesome! Do you have an immersion circulator for sous vide?

I remember once, a long time ago, in a far off place, sous vide was discussed, and many were trampled on because of it. I still think it’s the cat’s meow for cooking certain pieces!

Awesome job!!! :thumb:

Uh…….I’ll take two!!! :lol:

ironchef

Cooked 10 minutes at 130 degrees, IC? Doesn't that make it about room temp? Coddling it?

Geez, I think my bath water is hotter than that. :huh:

Lee

The benefit of sous vide is that whatever food you're cooking in it will cook no higher than what the water temperature is set as. For instance, medium rare steak you'd sous vide at 130-135 degrees F. You can leave it in there for 3 hours if you'd like, and it will never overcook. For fish, I don't cook it higher than 130 degrees. That will yield you about a medium doneness.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
The benefit of sous vide is that whatever food you're cooking in it will cook no higher than what the water temperature is set as. For instance, medium rare steak you'd sous vide at 130-135 degrees F. You can leave it in there for 3 hours if you'd like, and it will never overcook. For fish, I don't cook it higher than 130 degrees. That will yield you about a medium doneness.
Thank you! That is the clearest explanation for the how and why of sous vide I've ever read.

pugger

Looks totally awesome and I could probably eat 2 dishes of it right now. I'm not familiar w/ the cooking process but am keenly interested now. I love fish and could eat it often.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only place I've eaten it is at Warren's (UnConundrum) the last two years at the ECG. I'm looking forward to it again this year. Warren makes the best beef roast I've eaten to date, that is besides his bread, donuts, and on and on and on..... The man can cook.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Here's a picture of my sous-vide setup. I don't use the external temp probe anymore; it's just not needed.

Joe, are you talking about the smoked chuck roasts, or the bottom rounds I do sous-vide? The bottom rounds are great. I slice them down and use it for hot roast beef sandwiches. Only place you can get one rare :)

You can find some of my sous-vide recipes HERE

Attachments

• SousVideSetup2.jpg
    SousVideSetup2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here's a picture of my sous-vide setup. I don't use the external temp probe anymore; it's just not needed.

Joe, are you talking about the smoked chuck roasts, or the bottom rounds I do sous-vide? The bottom rounds are great. I slice them down and use it for hot roast beef sandwiches. Only place you can get one rare :)

:w00t:

THAT is awesome!!!! :clap:

joec

Gold Site Supporter

I'm not sure Warren what did you feed us the last two years at the ECG. I don't ask before I eat it and if I like it don't ask at all. Only if it makes me gag or puke do I ask so I don't repeat that mistake. That physiology comes for 3 years of traveling the world and eating out every meal. :respect:
All I know is what ever it was it was really great. :a1: That is not counting the asphalt you are force to make for Dave. :sad:

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, that's the smoked chuck. I make them for the ECGs because of their size, they can feed lots of people. I smoke them for about 16 - 18 hours. They're really easy if you have a Big Green Egg :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
What ever they are they are really good. I'm sure looking forward to next month too.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Pretty often. And I can make pretty large quantities. So I'll do a bunch of chicken breasts, and then freeze them. When I make the bottom rounds, I might do 8 of them, and then freeze them right in the vacuum pouch.

Renfro Jones

That sea bass is making my mouth water, I have never heard of this cooking process and I am really enjoying this site so far. Keep em coming IC