Uses for Juniper?

High Cheese

Saucier
I picked up some juniper berries to go along with a pork loin tonight. Looking for some different ways to use the berries since I've only had them in gin before. lol I was going to just pan roast the loin with the juniper and some sort of fat, any other ideas?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use them in this recipe, Jay.

I don't know where I got it, so I'm sorry for not giving the appropriate source credit.

Lee

Brine, Garlic-Sage for Pork Chops

Brine:

1 quart water
¼ cup kosher salt
6T dark brown sugar
2 T sage leaves, packed
½ T juniper berries, crushed
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ teas ground black pepper

Two thick pork chops
1 T diced shallots
1 teas Dijon mustard
½ cup pork stock (or water)
1 T butter, softened
1. Combine all the brine ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Place the brine in the refrigerator until it has chilled.
2. Add the pork chops to the brine and refrigerate for 2 hours. Remove the pork chops from the brine and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to a day.
3. A half hour before cooking, remove the pork chops from the refrigerator.
4. In a skillet over high heat, melt the pork fat until hot. Sear the pork chops on each side until well browned, about 5 minutes per side or until the pork reaches an internal temperature 140ºF.
5. Remove the pork chops from the skillet and cover with aluminum foil.
6. Reduce the heat to medium and add the shallots. Cook for 1 minute or until the shallots are softened.
7. Stir in the dijon mustard then deglaze the pan with the pork stock. Bring to a boil and reduce until slightly thickened.
8. Remove from the heat and stir in the softened butter.
9. Serve the pork chop covered with the sauce.
Serves 2.

High Cheese

Saucier
Success! :chef:

I browsed a few recipes last night just to get some inspiration. I wound up pan searing the pork tenderloin, deglazed with white wine and (homemeade) chicken stock, added about 12 juniper berries, a tablespoon of crushed fennel seeds and black pepper, covered and finished cooking on the stovetop. I removed the loin to rest and sprinkled a tiny bit of chopped fresh rosemary on top. I made a sauce by crushing the juniper in the pan, added 2 tablespoons of butter and a pinch more salt. Came out awesome!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
we smushed them using a skillet in class. we used them for seasoning venison.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, sorry, Jay, I misunderstood. I thought you had settled on a pork-loin/juniper berry recipe and were looking for ways to use the berries you had left after that.

Lee