Beef Bourginonne

AllenOK

Please note that this is a commercial yield. You may want to reduce this by half for home use.

Beef Bourginonne
Yields: 3 - 4 qt

3 - 4 # beef stew meat or tenderloin tips
½ c clarified butter
1 onion, diced
1 ½ qt mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
1 T minced garlic
2 T minced fresh rosemary
2 T minced fresh thyme
1 c Burgundy
1 - 2 qt beef stock
3 carrots, peeled, 3/8” dice
2 turnips, peeled, 3/8” dice
Roux
Salt and pepper to taste

Prep all ingredients, placing the carrots and turnips in water to keep them moist, and preventing the turnips from oxidizing.
Place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over two burners (if possible). Heat the pan until it starts to smoke. Add the butter, and swirl to coat. Brown the beef, in batches if necessary. When all the meat is browned, add the onions, mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Sauté until the onions just begin to caramelize. Deglaze with the wine, stirring and scraping as much of the fond off the bottom of the pan as possible. Pour in the carrots and turnips. Add the beef stock, just enough to cover all the ingredients. Simmer until the meat is tender and the carrots and turnips are al dente (remember it’s going to be held hot for hours, you don’t want to carrots and turnips turning to mush). If you used stew meat from a tough cut, don’t add the carrots and turnips until 10 minutes before the meat is done.
Tighten the stew with enough roux to make a good sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
NOTES: This is very good served with a scoop of mashed potatoes in the center of the bowl (Entrée special).

AllenOK

The turnips were something that the boss wanted me to put in. It actually came out rather well. If you don't want to use them, or, since it's almost Spring, and you can't find any, just leave them out.

buckytom

Grill Master
another one copied and pasted allen. i love beef bourguignon.

very soon you won't have to worry about your hard drive crashing and losing your recipes.

:mrgreen: i'll have a backup of all of them, mwahahahaaaaaa. :chris:

i think i'll go lighter on the rosemary (i can taste the tiniest bit in most things) and heavier on the vino (only 1 cup?).

Last edited:

AllenOK

I'm still learning to cook with wine. Also, I originally wrote this recipe over a year ago, and was a little lighter with the pour.

Backup of my recipes? Bwhahahahaha! I've got a 2 GB SD card stashed in a non-disclosed spot. I've got the HDD from my laptop that's still good. I'm thinking about dropping that into another laptop and running with that. I just got a Thumb-drive, put a spare 128 MB card into that, and backed up my recipes so I can have them at work. I've got a 128 MB Flash drive somewhere in my drawer at work with an older copy of my recipe files. I can't plug it into this tower, as the tower always wants the device driver, but there isn't a driver for this kind of plug-and-play device.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Traditionally this dish contains pearl onions and mushrooms as well. Although, I haven't seen turnips in it. I love beef bourguignon, too. I made a very special version when my dad was living. I separately sauted all the veggies in sweet butter--classic French version recipe. Served it with a great big smile on my puss to my dad and he pushed it away and said, "stew". Despite, all my time, effort, energy and money for the decent bottle of wine, I couldn't get him to taste it and I had to make him eggs and toast for dinner instead.